Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  

ef2cf7a648fdf75c478ccbb5cc7cb75b.jpg

So I also posted this in the quarantine section if a mod can go delete it from there as this is the more appropriate section.

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank)0

* Nitrate level(tank) 20

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api drops

* Water temperature?

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55, 3 years ?

* What is the name and "size of the filter"s)? 2 filters, Aqueon 55/75, and I forgot the name of the other one but it's also pretty big

* How often do you change the water and how much? 90%, every week

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?90%, 4 days ago

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, 8 in?? Not sure exactly

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime️

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Pellets, 6 times a week and also sometimes peas

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank?no

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

salt, prazi, melafix (but that's all over 2 years ago)

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Cloudy red eye (swollen????) and red gill on one side, she kind of just hovers in the middle of the tank and doesn't swim around, (been like this for a bit but her eye just got red two day ago) eats normally

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Not much movement

So I quarantined her in a 10 gallon tank, it's not cycled, I have a small filter, I feed her normally and I use aquarium salt and Maracyn 2, but it's not getting any better.

08b935fcfce0ee8f6cea14c061bbfe5a.jpg14520938de8e4bb55e6393fbe8f3dbb3.jpg123607ee29dd8f99c8af271a05958749.jpg5e91e02ebd67778a5585287e3a22d622.jpg

Please help me I love her from the bottom of my heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there!  That looks more like an eye ulcer than pop eye. If you still have prazi I recommend doing several rounds on your entire tank and perhaps isolating this little guy in quarantine to watch if the ulcer bursts.  I don't believe antibiotics are the best choice at this time but clean water wouldn't be amiss.  The gill redness and redness at the base of the fins looks like a high fluke infestation, so I'd like to address that first and see where we are after that.

Do you need detailed instructions for prazi rounds or are you familiar with the protocol?

Hi there!  That looks more like an eye ulcer than pop eye. If you still have prazi I recommend doing several rounds on your entire tank and perhaps isolating this little guy in quarantine to watch if the ulcer bursts.  I don't believe antibiotics are the best choice at this time but clean water wouldn't be amiss.  The gill redness and redness at the base of the fins looks like a high fluke infestation, so I'd like to address that first and see where we are after that.

Do you need detailed instructions for prazi rounds or are you familiar with the protocol?

Thank you for responding! [emoji24] Can you please remind me of the protocol? Also if it ruptures is it fatal? Can I treat it or is it too late? Should I continue with the Maracyn 2 and salt as well?

The maracyn wasn't a good choice for this, unfortunately, but you need to finish out your treatment round (10 days of total time between the first and final treatment should be sufficient length).

The salt also won't hurt anything, but if your prazi is a liquid prazi the salt may affect the efficacy of the concentration is too high, so I recommend doing prazi sans salt.

For the prazi treatment please add the prazi to both the quarantine and main tank, and make sure you do a really good job vacuuming the tank substrate with each water and knocking out any mulm and gunk from the filter.  If you want to wait on the prazi until the maracyn is complete you can actually return your fish to the main tank and treat them both at the same time.

A basic prazi round is prazi on day 1, 100% water change on day 4, let the fish rest in the clean water until day 7.  A temperature of 78 or so degrees will help this process, as will keeping the tank very clean like I mentioned above.

Each round is a week and those rest days without prazi allow any flukes to hatch out and be caught on the next round.  Three rounds (weeks) of prazi on Monday, water change Thursday, Prazi again next Monday should be sufficient to knock back the fluke population and help your fish.  There may be a secondary infection that caused the ulcer or if could just be a localized infection from inside the gills where the fluke load was high and finally compromised the gill surface enough that the normal bacteria present in the fish gained a foothold, but either way the eye infection shouldn't be fatal unless it becomes systemic.  Likely the fish will lose the eye but that doesn't mean he cannot life many happy years more.

If he stops eating or gets appreciably redder through the gills and face, please let me know and we can begin a course of kanamycin, which is the next antibiotic I'd use after your maracyn is complete.  But I do believe the prazi and time will allow him to fight back on his own once those flukes are killed and prevent his tank mate from suffering similar stress.  Sound good?

I have some news for you.. so I moved him back to the main tank and today is Day 3 of prazi treatment. The eye seems to have gotten worse. Should I separate him again and just do prazi in the hospital tank?

Bad news...I'll be travelling next week and won't return until 2 months later. Meanwhile. my neighbors are going to take care of my fish. They don't have extensive experience, so I'll have to teach them everything. What is the best approach for my fish now? Should I leave my sick fish in a hospital tank for 2 months? I'm afraid that his eye might pop or something and would affect the other fish and my neighbors won't know what to do. What do you think are the best actions in my situation?

If you have any advice on what to do please share anything helps!

Even if his eye pops there isn't much for it.  It either heals or it doesn't.  Is anything other than his eye getting worse in terms of symptoms?

Can you take another eye picture?

Even if his eye pops there isn't much for it.  It either heals or it doesn't.  Is anything other than his eye getting worse in terms of symptoms?

Can you take another eye picture?

He still kind of floats around in the tank. If it pops, will it harm the other fish? Will there be blood everywhere in the tank ..?

fee08f15c16de7fdf7f72696711eb6c3.jpg

dd4a061bead9afed860d118ccee210ac.jpg

Okay, he has an underlying infection we need to treat, I can see it in the red around the eye and your reports on his behavior. 

I'd like you to order or locally purchase our two most commonly used antibiotics metronidazole and Kanamycin.  We will run a course of Kanamycin in the hospital tank an worry about the fluke treatment on him later, okay?

I wouldn't put the fish back into the main tank until you remove all of the stones and glass pebbles and plastic ornaments from the bottom of the tank.  Those things are holding vast quantities of detritus and bacteria, including some that cause external infections.  Take the fish out before you remove them, because the water will get really dirty.  

Once you have your fish completely healthy,  you can decorate again.

Hope his eye feels better soon.

I'm traveling in two days for two months and won't be able to order it in time [emoji24].... I'm giving both of my fish to my neighbor in a 20 gallon tank. What is the best approach for this? I'll take out all the decorations. Should I keep the sick one separated? I'm trying to find the antibiotics in stores right now. One store said they carry ciprofloxacin, cephalexin, hephromycin, and petracycline that treat bacterial infection. Would any of those work at all? ): ):

Also if I were to isolate him, should I put him in a cycled tank? I'm not sure if my neighbors are willing to change the water every single day ..

GOOD NEWS my friend said she's willing to order the medications and take care of him in the hospital tank!!!! They should come in ~8 days, what should we do until then? Should I keep him in a cycled tank?

Also when the medicine come in how should we use them?

If you have a cycled tank available you certainly should use it.  Some medication may harm the cycle microbes.  If you use any of those, you should remove the biomedium during the treatment.

I can't find the medications on amazon.. is there another name for them? Or another site I can get them??

Seachem brand metroplex and kanaplex.

If they have it.  The third link goes to Kanaplex, But the first two lead to this.  Do check how long it will take to get it.

Hey guys! I'm sorry I don't mean to bring up an old thread, but like I mentioned before, I'm out of the country and I left my fish with my friend. She's been having problems ordering them for me, but they FINALLY came in! I'll post pictures she sent me of his eye tomorrow, it seems more red. How should we use it? Should we follow the directions on the bottle? He's now in a 10 gal q-tank. I appreciate any advice anythinggg