Kokos Goldfish Forum

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap). .5
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.8, KH 7 drops, GH 1 drop. 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.8, KH 1 drop, GH 1 drop. There are Chloramines but idk the level
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? ALL API DROPS
      • * Water temperature? 74° roughly
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? approx 70 gallon porch pond. Maybe a year running? 
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 8 gallon I think bog filter
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? maybe 20% a week
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday 100%. Annoying diatom clean out
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish. Asilah is 90 grams, Casha is 80 grams, Vopu is 45 grams, and then there's 30 gram Rhonda. 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? SEACHEM SAFE
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? TWICE A DAY. REPASHY GEL MIX AND PARADIGM HERBIVORE OR YFS SEAFOOD CRUMBLES. OTHER STUFF A FEW TIMES A WEEK
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Rhonda was added a month ago but she's been here well over a year. 
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. N/A
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? WEIRD WEN NODULES
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? BUMPING INTO THINGS AND SOMETIMES SWIMMING SEEMINGLY AIMLESSLY. NOT SWIM BLADDER, JUST LIKE IN A CIRCLE.
  • His wen is growing weird nodules. I hate to cut it but they seem to be bothering him. Any suggestions welcome. He's about 2.5 years old. 

I couldn't have the sound on right now, but just from looking at the video it looks like its pushing down on his eyes? 

2 hours ago, koko said:

I couldn't have the sound on right now, but just from looking at the video it looks like its pushing down on his eyes? 

It's annoying the crap outta him. It may be doing that. It's growing quite weirdly. It's got big nodules growing out the sides and its also filling in between his nostrils. He's bothered by it. As it grows more, he seems more stressed. He bumps into the other fish and sides of the pond etc. 

I agree with koko that it looks like it's pushing down on his eyes, the weird nodules are strange growth but wens do weird things sometimes. I think since it's affecting him so much I would consider trimming it at this stage

I REALLY did not want to trim it. I may not have a choice though. I was hoping he would adjust but he isn't. Poor man. 

Hi there. I signed up to Kokos just to share this with you:

I have a red cap oranda that is similar in size to yours and also has an oddly shaped wen. It doesn't push down on his eye(s) but was obstructing his vision and it got to the point where the fish would just float or swim around aimlessly. Almost like it was sulking due to not being able to see and bumped into things a lot. It still ate like a pig during feeding time though, so I knew it wasn't sick.

After a couple days (and much research online) I bit the bullet and did a wen trimming. I only trimmed the worst part over its right eye. What a difference! It immediately started to act like its old self again and didn't bump into things any more. It just seemed happier. (Hehe, I call it "it" because my fish don't have names. I call them by their type: Oranda, Ranchu, Pearlscale)

If you're considering a trim - do it. I'm glad I did and so is my fish.

I don't think he will adjust and if the wen is pressing on his eyes, it'll likely cause even further damage. I've never trimmed a wen before but I am confident that I can do it. 

10 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I don't think he will adjust and if the wen is pressing on his eyes, it'll likely cause even further damage. I've never trimmed a wen before but I am confident that I can do it. 

you did a tumor you can do a wen hun :) 

Your going to do a great job Myra!!!! Let us know how everything goes.

I think trimming is the best option here. Id highly suggest new cuticle scissors, or anything super sharp like them. 

This is the youtube video I used for informational purposes when i had to do it. It helped me greatly.

Edited by RobertTheOranda

Here's my man today. Boy that wen looks a mess. Poor boy. 

The wen will be kind of difficult to cut. Its squishy and tough at the same time. Keeps wanting to slip out of the scissors. Maybe start by removing some wen right above its eyes? I found that big, bold cuts were easier to make than small fine ones. 

For mine, I only cut little half moons over its eyes - but if I have to do it again, I'd probably trim a little further towards the back of his head as well. Give the fish some more peripheral vision. 

Good luck with the trimming. :thumbup2:

Check out this video.

I did trim his wen. It did not go as well as I would have liked. Asilah was very slow to go under even with twice the dosage recommended here. I was too concerned there would be trouble bringing him around if I added more so I just waited. Then the wen decided it wanted to bleed a bit so that sucked. I couldn't get off what I wanted because of that. Good thing is that he seems totally fine from the procedure. Woke right up and wanted to go home. I'll give him a few days and then post an update to see if there's anything else recommended.

5 hours ago, mjfromga said:

I did trim his wen. It did not go as well as I would have liked. Asilah was very slow to go under even with twice the dosage recommended here. I was too concerned there would be trouble bringing him around if I added more so I just waited. Then the wen decided it wanted to bleed a bit so that sucked. I couldn't get off what I wanted because of that. Good thing is that he seems totally fine from the procedure. Woke right up and wanted to go home. I'll give him a few days and then post an update to see if there's anything else recommended.

I hope he didn't bleed to much hun :hug 

How is he doing Myra?

He's fine. Much better. Will post update tomorrow. 

6 hours ago, mjfromga said:

He's fine. Much better. Will post update tomorrow. 

:thumbup2:

I'm glad he is doing better!