Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pixel

Lumps and bumps on goldfish face

Hello everyone,

I have a 2.5 year old female Ryukin that is unwell. Late on Saturday I noticed she didn't come up to the top of the pond (500L above ground black plastic hydroponics tub that is outdoors) for food like the other 3 fish in the pond. On closer inspection I noticed some whitish lumps on her face. I separated her into a 50L indoor tank and on Sunday started treatment with Myxazin (after consulting with local pet store). Over the weekend she had a lot of slime coat coming off and refused to eat anything. On Tuesday she seemed a lot happier, slime coat stopped shedding and was eating but the lumps still remain (and it looks like more tiny white ones are appearing). I have been changing the water everyday and replacing the Myxazin. Today is day 5 of Myxazin treatment and I don't know what to do - should I continue treatment for a few more days or try something else? The lumps look a lot like crusty warts. Even though she is eating, she sits at the bottom of the tank a lot and only swims around occasionally.

The other remaining fish all seem fine. I do weekly 80% water changes as I use the water for my flower garden. The only other thing in the pond is elodea - no rocks or dirt. Would anyone have any idea what the lumps might be and their treatment? Could they be contagious to other fish? My water parameters are below.

hambo2_zpsqhdxuno8.jpg

hambo1_zps9nezycwt.jpg

* Ammonia Level(Pond) 0ppm

* Nitrite Level(Pond) 0ppm

* Nitrate level(Pond) 5ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm

* Nitrate level(Tap) 5ppm

* Ph Level, Pond (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4 ph

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6 ph

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater master kit - drops

* Water temperature? Unknown - mild Subtropical Autumn here daytime temps 25 degrees Celsius

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 500 Litres - has been running for 4 months

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Homemade "Skippy" style filter with 2500L/hr pump, fully cycled

* How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly - approx 80%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Pond Yesterday - approx 80% - Hospital tank daily water changes 

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 Goldfish in total - 2 Large Ryukin, 1 Medium Oranda, 1 Small Ryukin

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Safe in pond - API Stress Coat in hospital tank

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice/day - Hikari Lionhead, Hikari Algae wafers, peas, bloodworms

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? Nothing to pond - Myxazin added to hospital tank

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 5 Days of Myxazin treatment in 50L hospital tank

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White lumps and bumps on head above eyes

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Was shedding a lot of slime coat, sitting at the bottom of the tank and not interested in food.

Many thanks,

Linda

Welcome to Kokos!

Your maintenance sounds very good.

I have never seen anything like this.  Since the fish seems to feel better, continue the current treatment.  I have alerted the moderating team, so you should have some help soon.

Do you have aquarium salt or other 100% NaCl?

Thank you for the reply. The pump makes it really easy to distribute water to the garden, so the fish get plenty of clean water. I do have salt available.

Welcome to Kokos and hope your Goldfish feels better.

On May 18, 2017 at 1:23 PM, Pixel said:

Thank you for the reply. The pump makes it really easy to distribute water to the garden, so the fish get plenty of clean water. I do have salt available.

We are still talking in the back. :) 

Run a finger over the bumps and describe how they feel, such as hard, rubbery, or as soft lumps.

Are you certain this fish is female?

Edited by shakaho

The lumps feel soft and slimy. Yes the fish is female, she has produced lots of eggs during the last two Springs. She is fairly large - about 24 cm head to end of tail. I noticed yesterday that her tail seemed to have little half moons chopped out of the edge and she wasn't eating much and sitting at the bottom. I decided to change treatments to Tri Sulfa antibiotics as I had good results with it in the past. She was happily swimming around this morning and eating again, but it's made no difference to the growths.

Hi, we think it would be good to try some salt dips while we see if we can work out what this is. The salt dip procedure can be found here:

I would start with a 1% dip which would be 10 grams per litre. Dissolve the salt first, then let the water cool down to the same temp she is in now. 

If she handles that well and makes it the full 5 minutes then I'd give her a day break and the day after I would do it again but with 2% Salt (20 grams per litre). Again if she handles that well, go a day with a break then move up to 3%. If the fish can't handle the full 5 minutes at any time, then don't increase the salt concentration

Report back with how she handles the salt dips and if they make any difference

Edited by FishyMandy

I have praziquantel, do you want me to use that instead?

On May 21, 2017 at 0:23 AM, Pixel said:

I have praziquantel, do you want me to use that instead?

Have you tried the salt dips yet 

Why would you use prazi?

Yes, I have done the first of the salt dips and she was ok through it. So far lumps are the same. She is now in a 100 litre tub in fresh water (no meds). I will let you know how the other treatments go. 

I mentioned the praziquantel as you didn't mention what the salt dips were for and I assumed you were trying to knock out a parasite.

Hi, the second salt treatment didn't go so well. She just lasted 1 minute before tipping sideways and not moving. I took her out and it took her a little while to recover in clean water. So next salt dip should be 10g per litre again? I will attempt some photos and post them tonight.

Some photos from this afternoon.

hambo3_zpsxnkf6goi.jpg

hambo_close_zpsm5sijb0j.jpg

Hi :) Repeat the 20g per litre until she can last the full 5 minutes.

How is she acting?

Edited by FishyMandy

I just got a question for you :) Is it me or it looks like its getting a little worse on that nose flap area, or is it just me ? 

The area around that one 'nose' was really red before, so that has gone and the growth has taken over. It does look like everything has grown a bit more in size and number. Overall the fish seems to be ok - swimming around much more, eating small amounts a few times a day (plenty of poop) and not just sitting at bottom all the time. If it wasn't for the growths she would be quite normal.

I will try the 20g salt treatment again tomorrow. Any idea what the growths are? 

Shakaho and Koko - my recommendation would be hydrogen peroxide swabs next, and possibly paraguard or plain old malachite green after that.  It looks like it's a topical necrosis or some sort, and I'm not seeing signs it would be bacterial and not parasitic. You can decide if you want to go that route since she isn't tolerating salt well.

:k055:

How many times should she swab?

With peroxide?

I'd aim for at least three times close together, maybe an hour apart?  Then morning and evening for another few days.

If there is no progress in maybe four days I'd try the heavier duty parasite treatments next.

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your advice! My goldfish looks a lot better, the area around her face is healing and she's almost back to normal. I stopped after 4 peroxide treatments as the area became very red and the goldfish seemed to be in pain - thrashing about when I dabbed it. I've left her in fresh water since and the redness is going. I also decided to treat my pond, hospital tub and inside fish tank with praziquantel. Do you think it would be ok to return her back to the pond for the second treatment if she is looking ok?

I'd like to see some pictures - this kind of wound was so unusual! 

Once she's mended I'd definitely treat them all with prazi.  No reason you can't wait until she is back though, unless other fish are showing symptoms.  Treating the hospital tank separately for flukes isn't necessary :!

Suppose you have been sick with an infection -- much too sick to go to work.  You take medication and begin to  feel better -- almost normal.  So you go back to work.  What happens?  Most people would feel fatigued, not very sharp mentally, and if forcing themselves to work in spite of not being 100%, may relapse.

I keep a fish in quarantine for at least as long as it took to get the fish symptom-free.  Much longer for a severe illness.

I would do her prazi treatment in isolation.

It seems was a bit premature with saying all was better...

This photo was taken a few days ago during the peroxide treatment:

hambo5_zps82gclfol.jpg

And this was just now. There seems to be a crack/split/dent in the middle that wasn't apparent before.

hambo4_zpsfayxhzwi.jpg

This is it up close:

hambo6_zpsivaquexr.jpg

I will obviously be keeping her in a hospital tub until she is all better. Do you think I should swab it with peroxide again or try something else? I am only keeping her in fresh water at the moment.

I'd keep swabbing for another four days.  If another split develops we will go to the next treatment.