Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mothercrow

Could Use Some Advice

So...my daughter's friend, who lives in a dorm room, will be traveling all summer and needed a fish sitter. I felt uniquely qualified, since I keep the same types of fish (bettas and goldfish) so I accepted the task. Now I don't know what to do.

There is a female betta, in a Top Fin FC200 tank that's 1.2 gallons and has what I hope is an undergravel filter. No heater, a plastic plant, colored gravel, and a small tiki-type decoration. She appears healthy to me.

The second tank is a divided ten gallon. On one side is a large male betta. I think he's a veiltale, but he has some obvious fin rot. He has colored gravel, two plastic plants, and a Top Fin coral reef-type cave decoration. Other than the fin rot, he appears healthy, though he sometimes has trouble "catching" the food.

Brace yourselves. On the other side of the divider are two long-bodied goldfish. They have colored gravel, a plastic plant, and a coral reef-type cave decoration. I know that these fish are at least one year old, because they were rescued from the same centerpieces at the same event where I rescued mine. They've been fed good food and are roughly the same size as my three. Their gills were black when they arrived but appear to be healing. On this side of the tank, there is an Aqueon Quietflow filter, I don't know how many gph it's rated for. It has the blue grid that Aqueon claims will hold beneficial bacteria but she has been changing her filter pads monthly, so I don't yet know if I have any hope of an established cycle. There are no heaters in either tank, but my room temperature water is at 76°F and the days are getting warmer.

I have many dilemmas. I don't think it would be kind to keep those goldfish in that 5 gallon space. When she comes to claim them in August, I'm going to have to talk to her about what she's doing wrong. If I move the goldfish somewhere else, where? And how could I possibly put them back in that tiny space?

I would love to hear some advice. What would you do?

2df1f2dd3fde552c6eeb396e173cfb6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

If you have the space, make them a mini indoor pond.  Get one of these.  If you don't have a local IKEA you can order it.  I have three of these now.  The first was a fry tub for a few years, and then I changed it into a plant grow bed for an aquaponics system.  I needed a bigger grow bed, so the first Samla box has fry and duckweed in it now.

Two others will be the fish tank and grow bed of the indoor aquaponics system that I have in progress now.  I'll tell you why I recommend this particular container:

The plastic has enough clarity that you can see the fish from the side as well as the top.

The footprint  of this tank -- ~19"X28" -- makes it small enough to fit when you don't have much space.  Because it only holds 15 gallons of water you can safely set it on a     sturdy piece of furniture.  If the "table" top is smaller than the box in any dimension, you can have a piece of plywood cut to an inch or so larger than the bottom of the box so that the weight gets distributed evenly across the "table"

We recommend a 40B for two goldfish, because that provides great surface area and swimming space.  The Samla box has more surface area than the 40B, making it big enough for two goldfish.

You can put a small HOB filter on the side of this.

You can also make a nice indoor pond out of one of these, but it takes more space.

Yup, plastic totes are the cheap and easy solution.  Shakaho have you great advice.

Thank you both. Ikea is an hour north, but I like the dimensions of that tote so I'm going to try to make it up there. I'm hoping that the relatively compact size might possibly work in her dorm room?

Do you have any recommendations for a filter for the tote?

2 minutes ago, Mothercrow said:

Thank you both. Ikea is an hour north, but I like the dimensions of that tote so I'm going to try to make it up there. I'm hoping that the relatively compact size might possibly work in her dorm room? emoji106.png

Do you have any recommendations for a filter for the tote?

I think personally a Sponge filter is the best for a tote :) 

Hope everything goes well!!!

I use one of these.   A sponge filter would work fine, but I can't stand the noise of an air pump.

3 hours ago, shakaho said:

I use one of these.   A sponge filter would work fine, but I can't stand the noise of an air pump.ul

I use a power head instead cause I'm like you can't stand air pumps