Fish Of Gold

Boiling & Bleaching questions

4 posts in this topic

Ok so my back is feeling a bit better today so I want to get my 40 breeder tank drained and bleached because of a goldfish illness. Ok, so how do I bleach the tank and glass hood? It would be hard to just fill it to bleach it, so can I just pour bleach in the tank with a little bit of water after draining it and just wipe down the sides and glass hood to keep it wet often? How long do I let the bleach water sit for and what part bleach to what part water ratio?

I planed on bleaching my pond pump and hose in their 5 gallon water change bucket then turn it on to circulate in the bucket to bleach everything, then use a separate bucket to bleach the decorations, plastic plants, heater, and the Aqua Clear filter cases and media holders. But how do I bleach the AC motor itself? can it be submerged in the bleach water too? I don't know if AC motors are watertight from the outside to be submerged.  Also how long to let it soak in the bleach water? After rinsing tank and equipment, I was told to add Prime to neutralize the chlorine in the bleach, so how much prime to add per gallon? Is it 2 drops per gallon like the directions say for normal wc, or do I have to add more?

How do I disinfect my decretive vine plant airline tubing? It is narrow green air tubes with plastic plants on it, it's supposed to be made to disguise air lines in aquariums (see picture of vine tubing)

I will need to boil their 3 aquarium rocks and bio media, so how long do I boil it for to kill the illness?

I'm just going to toss out the old sand and buy new CaribSea sand so I don't have to worry about disinfecting all of that sand and this is going to be more than enough to do with my back aching after my back going out :( :thumbdown

102_6555.JPG

:bump:

Bumping again because I don't have the brains for this tonight :stars

:pianobanana

On May 15, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Fish Of Gold said:

Ok so my back is feeling a bit better today so I want to get my 40 breeder tank drained and bleached because of a goldfish illness. Ok, so how do I bleach the tank and glass hood? It would be hard to just fill it to bleach it, so can I just pour bleach in the tank with a little bit of water after draining it and just wipe down the sides and glass hood to keep it wet often? How long do I let the bleach water sit for and what part bleach to what part water ratio?

I may suggest putting the tank in a bath tub. 1 part bleach 9 parts water :) Just like a cap full of bleach in the tank would do good. If you can fill it all the way with water just fill half way, wipe down the glass and everything. Let it set for an hour or so.... Then since again you can't fill it up again. Then if its in the tub you can rinse it really good with a shower head. Then I would fill up again as much as you can with water and prime it all. I would go with 2 caps of Prime. Wipe everything down with Prime water...Then again Rinse rinse rinse till you can't smell prime or bleach :) 

I planed on bleaching my pond pump and hose in their 5 gallon water change bucket then turn it on to circulate in the bucket to bleach everything, then use a separate bucket to bleach the decorations, plastic plants, heater, and the Aqua Clear filter cases and media holders. But how do I bleach the AC motor itself? can it be submerged in the bleach water too? I don't know if AC motors are watertight from the outside to be submerged.  Also how long to let it soak in the bleach water? After rinsing tank and equipment, I was told to add Prime to neutralize the chlorine in the bleach, so how much prime to add per gallon? Is it 2 drops per gallon like the directions say for normal wc, or do I have to add more?

They are not submersible. I would just clean it really good with some bleach water outside of the bucket. you will have have to hand clean it hun :)

How do I disinfect my decretive vine plant airline tubing? It is narrow green air tubes with plastic plants on it, it's supposed to be made to disguise air lines in aquariums (see picture of vine tubing)

I would boil them :) FYI when I boil stuff that might get to hot in a pot of water. I will put in a small towel at the bottom of the pot so the plastics to touch the metal. 

I will need to boil their 3 aquarium rocks and bio media, so how long do I boil it for to kill the illness?

I'm just going to toss out the old sand and buy new CaribSea sand so I don't have to worry about disinfecting all of that sand and this is going to be more than enough to do with my back aching after my back going out :( :thumbdown

I would boil for 5 mins hun after that nothing should be alive :o