Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shelbysfish

"Zit" on Goldfish?

Followed instructions for Prazi: One teaspoon per 20 gallons of net water to be treated. Put in filter/tank. 

It says lasting 5-7 days is normally sufficient, retreat as necessary but no more than once every 3 days.

Edited by shelbysfish

You can treat the main tank with prazi.  However, you should first remove those stones and any ornaments.  You need a very clean tank for treating fish, one advantage of a hospital tank.

I suggest you dose according to the instructions on the prazipro, but do a large water change with fresh prazipro every four days. Treat for a minimum of two weeks

37 minutes ago, shakaho said:

You can treat the main tank with prazi.  However, you should first remove those stones and any ornaments.  You need a very clean tank for treating fish, one advantage of a hospital tank.

I suggest you dose according to the instructions on the prazipro, but do a large water change with fresh prazipro every four days. Treat for a minimum of two weeks

Oh no... I already added the prazi... should I still take the rocks out? I've been taking them out slowly thus far as to not disturb my cycle, cause I heard that could happen? Thankfully I don't have any ornaments just 2 plants.

*And to clarify, do I still need to add any salt? Swab the little one with the wound with Betadine? 

I hope the Prazipro takes affect soon... I was more worried about Soxxy but now I'm worried about Beauty who is refusing to swim. :( 

Edited by shelbysfish

No changes in anything, but its only been a few hours. :( 

Update 2: as I'm going to sleep, I see that Beauty is up moving around more! Thats a good sign..

Bad and good news this morning, Beauty is back to just sitting on the bottom but Soxxys wound looks like it's healing! I'll try to snap a pic today. Might still need to put Betadine to be sure? 

Not sure if I need to take the rocks out, or wonder shell. Or add salt. ?

Rocks on the bottom of an aquarium or pond are the single best way I know for growing large populations of the opportunistic pathogens which cause zits.   Opportunistic pathogens, bacteria that normally do not infect a host, can build up to large populations under, around, and attached to the rocks, feeding on missed food, fish waste, plant waste, and the like, using up oxygen in the process.  If the population gets large enough, the fish become a possible source of food if a parasite has caused a break in the slime coat and skin.  

You can have a layer of rocks in the bottom of the tank and avoid this problem if you regularly (preferably weekly) remove and wash the stones when performing a 100% water change.  

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Rocks on the bottom of an aquarium or pond are the single best way I know for growing large populations of the opportunistic pathogens which cause zits.   Opportunistic pathogens, bacteria that normally do not infect a host, can build up to large populations under, around, and attached to the rocks, feeding on missed food, fish waste, plant waste, and the like, using up oxygen in the process.  If the population gets large enough, the fish become a possible source of food if a parasite has caused a break in the slime coat and skin.  

You can have a layer of rocks in the bottom of the tank and avoid this problem if you regularly (preferably weekly) remove and wash the stones when performing a 100% water change.  

Okay I will take every single one out today as well as the plants. Will this break my cycle? 

Do I still need to add salt since Beauty isn't doing well? 

Hope Beauty feels better soon.

I took all the rocks and plants out. Should I keep the plants?? Salt? This is how absolutely terrible it looked after taking the plants out so I had to do a 60% water change. It was awful. I added a little more Prazi since I took out some. ?

IMG_9690.JPG

This is why I don't have a lot of stuff at the bottom of the tank. It just gets so yucky :( 

I would do now is let it cycle through. Then I would take your HOB and dump the water out once the tank is a little clearer. Then tomorrow I would rinse all your media in tank water to get it all cleaned again. This way you won't loose your cycle so much.

You really shouldn't have to much of a bump. But all that stuff was making a good breeding ground for Yukies :( 

24 minutes ago, koko said:

This is why I don't have a lot of stuff at the bottom of the tank. It just gets so yucky :( 

I would do now is let it cycle through. Then I would take your HOB and dump the water out once the tank is a little clearer. Then tomorrow I would rinse all your media in tank water to get it all cleaned again. This way you won't loose your cycle so much.

You really shouldn't have to much of a bump. But all that stuff was making a good breeding ground for Yukies :( 

I totally forgot to put that I already dumped the water from the HOB filter when I just did a 60% water change. it's already looking a LOT better, but still a little cloudy. I hope that didn't mess it up too much. :( Thank you for your help Koko, and everyone. so grateful for this site!!

I'll rinse the media in tank water tomorrow, but isn't that disgusting what was in there???

Here is a photo of it now:

tankkkk.jpg

So besides the Prazi, you don't think I need salt or anything else to help? I'm just worried about them. 

Do 50% daily water changes until it is clear.  I'd say do a 100%  if you didn't have a pH problem with your tap water.

You can leave the plants in.  While the rocks certainly held some nitrifiers, so do the walls of the tank. (Don't  clean the walls for 2 weeks, and then clean just one a week.) As a rule of thumb, a cycled tank probably has twice the number of nitrifiers as you need for that fish level.  The microbes increase in number until there isn't enough food for them to get large enough to divide.  Then they just sit there, hungry but alive, until conditions improve for them.  

How tall is your tank?  I haven't seen a 30 high, but that's what it looks like in the picture.  Your fish will be so relieved to get into your future 40B!   Goldfish in tall tanks tend to give us a lot of work trying to figure out how to to fix a stream of ailments (usually mild).

10 minutes ago, shakaho said:

Do 50% daily water changes until it is clear.  I'd say do a 100%  if you didn't have a pH problem with your tap water.

You can leave the plants in.  While the rocks certainly held some nitrifiers, so do the walls of the tank. (Don't  clean the walls for 2 weeks, and then clean just one a week.) As a rule of thumb, a cycled tank probably has twice the number of nitrifiers as you need for that fish level.  The microbes increase in number until there isn't enough food for them to get large enough to divide.  Then they just sit there, hungry but alive, until conditions improve for them.  

Will do, and then keep adding Prazi each time I do a 50% change?

The plants smelled so bad, I had to let them go. Hope it won't mess with my cycle too much like you said. Thank you for all your help!! 

1 minute ago, shakaho said:

How tall is your tank?  I haven't seen a 30 high, but that's what it looks like in the picture.  Your fish will be so relieved to get into your future 40B!   Goldfish in tall tanks tend to give us a lot of work trying to figure out how to to fix a stream of ailments (usually mild).

It's about 18 inches high it said. Yes, I agree. I had to postpone it past my birthday because we are moving soon and I would have to set up a new tank just to move it and remove the fish. :/ but very soon they will be getting the 40B and I will be so happy.

Now Mae, my other gold one is bottom sitting. What the heck!! Get up fishes!!

Update: Water has become more clear, but Mae and Beauty still won't swim staying at the bottom. Soxxy (one who had zit) is doing better than both of them, swimming all around.

You mentioned the tank smelled bad.  Can you confirm this?  Is it more like rotting things or like wet earth?

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

You mentioned the tank smelled bad.  Can you confirm this?  Is it more like rotting things or like wet earth?

Sorry to confuse, the tank itself doesn't smell bad the plants smelled like rotting things, I can't even explain it. So all the rocks and plants are gone. Do you recommend I salt? 

Prazi tastes terrible, so the fish often pout when treated with it.  When pouting, they sit on the bottom and give you the stink eye. They'll get over it.

So I added about 16 teaspoons of salt (melted of course and cooled), but with my math I'm supposed to be doing 70tsp?

I saw the instructions say .1% is 1 tsp of salt per gallon, and I was trying to get to .25% to start with under calculating to about 27 gallons. But 70 teaspoons seems like a lot, so I started with just a little until I heard otherwise. lol

But guess what? They are already acting SO much better after just a few hours!!!! Hoping this continues!! 

How much is a "little"?  Without knowing how much salt you put in we can't determine how much more to add.

16 minutes ago, shakaho said:

How much is a "little"?  Without knowing how much salt you put in we can't determine how much more to add.

So I added about 16 teaspoons of salt