Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shelbysfish

"Zit" on Goldfish?

Okay, I am not able to check params tonight because I have to pick up another one of my testers from the store asap, but I will post them here tomorrow. Until then, I'm having such a hard time sleeping over this!!!

Just noticed this today on my smaller baby, Soxxy. :( It literally looks like a zit. Wanted to post this anyway to get thoughts on what this might be??

Remember, I am set to get my 40g soon, but right now I have 3 smaller babies in a 30gal. So she's in there with her siblings. Everyone else looks fine. Ugh.

Thoughts??

sox.jpg

sox1.jpg

sox5.jpg

And the water is cloudy, GRRRRRR. Last time this happened everything tested fine despite the cloudiness and I just cleaned the filter media with tank water and all was fine, but that hasn't worked this past week. AND I have a wonder shell in there. I'm falling apart. :cry1

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank): 0-.25ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank): 0ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank): about 20ppm, maybe a little less
    • -----
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)- 0ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)- .25ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)- 
    •  
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) : 7.6ppm
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines): definitely in the high range ph, over what my regular ph tester could find
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?: drops, master freshwater test kit
      • * Water temperature?: 76-78f
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?: 30g, one year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?: quiet flow Aqueon 55
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?: 2 times a week, 50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?: Thursday, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?: 3, small. Probably 3 inches for the bigger ones, Soxxy is only 2in.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?: Prime, WonderShell, when it gets super cloudy like it is I have put in Aqueon Water Clarifyer.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?: Variety of green beans, green solient Gell, seaweed by Omega One.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?: Beauty, a month ago.
  • * Any medications added to the tank?: No.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.: None thus far.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?: No fungus or frayed fins, all other fish looks fine, Soxxy is just my problem. D:
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?: No!

Please do a high range pH test on your tap water and take a picture of the tube next to the card so we can determine the pH.

How long have you been feeding gel food?  This can cause cloudy water.  Try switching to a quality pellet and see if that clears the water.  If that doesn't work, remove the wonder shell.  You can also try Koi Clay to clear your water.

Remove the fish to a separate hospital container, and add salt up to 0.3%.  After the zit pops, do a 100% water change in the hospital container adding 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon of new water.  Show us a picture of the lesion so we can see what further treatment might be needed.

When did you last treat with prazi? Zits often occur at the site of a fluke attachment.

Edited by shakaho

My I ask when was the last time you dumped the water out of your HOB? Like do you see and Gulk in the box? 

6 hours ago, koko said:

My I ask when was the last time you dumped the water out of your HOB? Like do you see and Gulk in the box? 

I haven't dumped the WATER out of the HOB, I've cleaned it just last week by washing it (the media) in tank water during a water change. :/

Edited by shelbysfish

7 hours ago, shakaho said:

Please do a high range pH test on your tap water and take a picture of the tube next to the card so we can determine the pH.

How long have you been feeding gel food?  This can cause cloudy water.  Try switching to a quality pellet and see if that clears the water.  If that doesn't work, remove the wonder shell.  You can also try Koi Clay to clear your water.

Remove the fish to a separate hospital container, and add salt up to 0.3%.  After the zit pops, do a 100% water change in the hospital container adding 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon of new water.  Show us a picture of the lesion so we can see what further treatment might be needed.

When did you last treat with prazi? Zits often occur at the site of a fluke attachment.

Here is my question, does it have to have a filter? Would this just be able to be a storage container? It wouldn't be cycled for sure..

I do not have a hospital tank sadly. :( 

I have never treated with Prazi before... and I have been feeding gel food their whole life, so I wonder why the cloud... I will look into Koi Clay!

Edited by shelbysfish

Also, so sorry for the late replies - I never got an email saying I got a response!!

UPDATE: It seemed to have "popped". The white part is gone and now it looks just like a small red lesion, like a popped blister would look, but not as severe at all. its small but still... would it be harmful to treat the whole tank with salt? just incase?

2 hours ago, shelbysfish said:

Here is my question, does it have to have a filter? Would this just be able to be a storage container? It wouldn't be cycled for sure..

I do not have a hospital tank sadly. :( 

I have never treated with Prazi before... and I have been feeding gel food their whole life, so I wonder why the cloud... I will look into Koi Clay!

?? I said a container, which can be anything that holds water.  No you don't need a filter.  You want large daily water changes for a hospital "tank."  

Now you should swab the wound with hydrogen peroxide and then put a drop of iodine (preferably betadine which doesn't sting) and return the fish to clean salted water.  Do not repeat the hydrogen peroxide treatment, but you can swab the wound daily with iodine until it heals.

You should treat the hospital tank and the main tank with prazi.  Once the wound looks healed, you can return the patient to the main tank.  Continue the prazi treatment for at least two weeks.

3 hours ago, shelbysfish said:

I haven't dumped the WATER out of the HOB, I've cleaned it just last week by washing it (the media) in tank water during a water change. :/

?? Did you mean that you removed the medium from the filter and washed it leaving the dirty water in the filter?  Or did it just come out sounding like that?

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

?? I said a container, which can be anything that holds water.  No you don't need a filter.  You want large daily water changes for a hospital "tank."  

Now you should swab the wound with hydrogen peroxide and then put a drop of iodine (preferably betadine which doesn't sting) and return the fish to clean salted water.  Do not repeat the hydrogen peroxide treatment, but you can swab the wound daily with iodine until it heals.

You should treat the hospital tank and the main tank with prazi.  Once the wound looks healed, you can return the patient to the main tank.  Continue the prazi treatment for at least two weeks.

?? Did you mean that you removed the medium from the filter and washed it leaving the dirty water in the filter?  Or did it just come out sounding like that?

I did mean that... I must be doing this all wrong then! I only ever learned I was supposed to take the media out and clean it, then replace. I guess I thought the clean water the filter sucked in, filtered out the bad with the constant flow. 

That's interesting.  You find the dirtiest water in the system on the bottom of the tank and in the filters.  When people do small daily water changes, I always recommend that they first vacuum the bottom of the tank and empty the water from the filter, then remove the remaining volume they intend to change from wherever they wish.

I'm glad Koko asked you about emptying the filter.  I wouldn't have thought to ask. :)

2 hours ago, shelbysfish said:

I did mean that... I must be doing this all wrong then! I only ever learned I was supposed to take the media out and clean it, then replace. I guess I thought the clean water the filter sucked in, filtered out the bad with the constant flow. 

Oh hun I think you took her wrong. She wasn't snapping :hug 

We just want to make sure everything is in check and yes some times ppl don't know about dumping the water out of the HOB once in awhile. I got to do mine tomorrow. :) 

Thank you, I will definitely do that!!

I did a 50% water change yesterday, and the water is clear now for some reason. But now poor BEAUTY is bottom sitting. I for sure need to treat the whole tank. :(

I'm going to the store today to get the Prazi and other treatment that you suggested, and will move Soxxy ASAP.

Edited by shelbysfish

Also, I'll be putting her in a plastic storage ben, I'm not sure how many gallons this is to salt ratio?

26 minutes ago, shelbysfish said:

Also, I'll be putting her in a plastic storage ben, I'm not sure how many gallons this is to salt ratio?

you have a gallon jug you could measure it out that way :) 

40 minutes ago, koko said:

you have a gallon jug you could measure it out that way :) 

Smart. ? I'm an idiot because I'm so worried. About Beauty now too! 

I am at the store now. And don't forget, a while ago you guys had me start setting out my water in a trash container to sit out because it made my Florida water safer for water changes. 

12 hours ago, shakaho said:

That's interesting.  You find the dirtiest water in the system on the bottom of the tank and in the filters.  When people do small daily water changes, I always recommend that they first vacuum the bottom of the tank and empty the water from the filter, then remove the remaining volume they intend to change from wherever they wish.

I'm glad Koko asked you about emptying the filter.  I wouldn't have thought to ask. :)

Am I following the Prazi instructions? My tub I got is 32 QTs. I got PraziPro. So I'll fill the tub with water, add the salt, prazi and then fish. Got Betadine as well. 

1 hour ago, shelbysfish said:

I wonder if I should stop doing that... ?

Have you tested your ph kh gh in the tap and tank lately.? 

3 minutes ago, shelbysfish said:

Am I following the Prazi instructions? My tub I got is 32 QTs. I got PraziPro. So I'll fill the tub with water, add the salt, prazi and then fish. Got Betadine as well. 

Lets wait to see what Sharon says on this :) 

6 minutes ago, koko said:

Have you tested your ph kh gh in the tap and tank lately.? 

Yes pH in tank was 7.6, need to test high range pH for tap/standing bucket. Haven't checked gh and such thank you - will do when I get home!! 

47 minutes ago, koko said:

Lets wait to see what Sharon says on this :) 

Will do. I'll be on standby. Lol

UPDATE:

Here are updated photos. Beauty is barely swimming. :( Gonna go ahead and put prazi in the main tank. Should I not even do the hospital tank and just treat everyone in this tank? it seems to be doing terrible with how the fish are. Mae is the only one not showing symptoms at this point. I want to cry.

I could still treat the wound with the betadine. Let me know..

beauty.jpg

sick.jpg

sick1.jpg

High range pH in trash can sitting water I filled yesterday is 7.8 about. Not too high.

gH and kH of tank are:

gH: It stays to count per drops. It took me 15 drops for the gH to turn green. The number only counts up to 12 in the manual, which is 214.8, so its higher than that. :( 

kH: 53.7