Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ken

Seems like my 2 new goldfish have ick

So, before i start, let me just say that im new to the aquarium world. I bought a 37 gallon high tank about a month ago. At first, i bought an 2 angelfish's with thenppan of getting other type but changed my mind after a week, returned them and got 1 black moor & a oranda. Everything was fine at first but after the 4th day, they started acting a little funny. Then the very next day (5th day) i woke up to sick fishies with white spots all over them. I did some research & talked to the local petshop. The gentleman i spok to told me to raise the temperature in the tank and drop half a cup of sea salt and give it a couple days to see what happens. Was i told the correct info? Im looking at my fishes now and they barely move, only come up when i feed them. But theyre still breathing n it doesnt look as if theyre gasping for air. I have a lot of circulation in my tank. 2 filters & a power head. Im pretty close to 10x gph for a 37 gallon. but it just sucks to see them that way. Ill try to attach a video.

any responses will be appreciates., good or bad. Again, im new to this so ill soak in any info. 

Also, i want to point out that my water quality is all good. Minus my water hardness which is in the bad area. So, im sure that doesnt help.

Edited by Ken

:hi and :welcome

Im sorry your fish are sick, I hope we can help you.

It sounds like you just set up this tank, and they are new. Please fill out this forum for us. We need all the information to help you out better :)

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Please follow this instruction. Copy the form, paste it in your post, and fill in your answers after the questions.  If you can't copy and paste, just quote the form.  To help us even more, you can italize or color your answers, to make them easy to find, but you don't have to do that.  

Feel free to use metric units, I didn't use both systems here to keep things compact.  

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  If you have a test kit, take these readings before you do a water change. If you don't have a test kit and can't get one immediately, please take samples of tank and tap water to your fish /pet store and request a test. Demand numbers for each test.
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) Please test tap water. It may contain ammonia or nitrate.  Tap water often varies in quality with weather/season, so don't just report an old test.  
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Difference in the pH of tank and tap can cause distress in your fish. We need both tap and tank results. 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)   If you don't have KH and GH tests and have municipal water, you can often get this information from the water company.
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  Please answer both brand and type.
      • * Water temperature?  If you don't use a heater, give the the air temperature. 
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  Please answer both questions. If you aren't sure of the volume of the tank, give the length, width, and height. 
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? By the "size" of the filter we mean the gph/lph that it claims to turn over.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Please answer both questions.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Please answer both questions
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? You may give the weight of each fish or the length.  For goldfish, include the variety, and use (and indicate that you used) the standard length (sl) -- the length from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail fin.  You can estimate length. For example: 1 oranda, 3" sl, 2 pearlscales 1.5" and 2" sl.  For other species of fish that don't vary in tail length, you may use total length, from the tip of the nose to the end of the tail fin,  but please specify.  For example: 2 bristlenose plecos 3" tl 
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Water conditioner means the agent used against chlorine.  If you don't use a water conditioner, say why, for example, "well water."  "Water additives" include anything else that you regularly or recently have added to your water, including buffers, water clarifiers, algaecides, etc.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Give the brand, type of food (sinking/floating pellets, gel food, steamed vegetable, etc.), and how frequently you feed each.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? If you have added new fish in the past few months, indicate which ones,  the duration of quarantine, and any treatments you used during quarantine
  • * Any medications added to the tank? This includes any used recently or currently in the tank.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  This can be a long answer if you have a sickly fish.  You can link to old D/D threads if we have advised on treatment before.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? List all physical symptoms.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? List all behavioral symptoms.

also if you haven't read our Guidelines please do so when you can :)

Welcome to Kokos and hope your Goldfish feel better.

Your tank will not work well for goldies.  For goldfish, the shallower the water and the more swimming area they have, the better.  For two goldfish, we recommend a 40 gallon breeder tank (40B).

Please get aquarium salt or any other pure NaCl for treating the fish.  Add 1 teaspoon of salt for each gallon of tank water.  This will give you 0.1% salt.  Tonight, again add  1 teaspoon of salt for each gallon of water.  This will give you 0.2% salt.  Tomorrow, do this again, raising the salt concentration to 0.3%.  When you do a water change, maintain this concentration by adding 3 teaspoons= 1 tablespoon of salt to each gallon of new water

You can increase the water temperature gradually to about 80F.

Your tank may not have completed cycling yet, which puts the fish at risk of suffering ammonia and nitrite poisoning as well as ich.  If you don't have a test kit, please get one and use it right away.  We recommend the API Freshwater master kit.  The local pet store may have it in stock or you can purchase it on line.

Oops.  I see Koko copied the instructions for filling out the form, rather than just the form.   I will put the form in may next post.  Just quote the post and fill in your answers after each question.

Please copy & paste or quote the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?