xStatic

My first bird :)

19 posts in this topic

So far I have owned pets that were reptiles, amphibians, large and small mammals, fish, and invertebrates, but never before have I owned a bird... until now!

That past couple months I took a huge interest in parrots and started thinking about possible getting a pet parrot of my own constantly. I already had a huge cage with the proper shape and bar spacing left over from my days of keeping pet rats, so I started researching like mad. Because I live in an apartment and share a wall with a neighbor I knew a really loud/large bird was out of the question. I started bouncing around between lovebirds, parrotlets, and budgies. At first I thought I wouldn't go for a budgie because they are so common and for some reason I thought all budgies were nervous and distrustful of humans. Then I really started thinking about it... about how out of all the fish available for pets I decided to keep goldfish. Goldfish are really common and totally under appreciated... and I decided the same thing applied to budgies as well. 

So I kept my eye on local adds and rescue groups because I didn't want to buy a bird from a big chain pet store. Then yesterday I found the add for the bird that would become my new obsession :)

So please let me introduce Shiro, the albino male budgie! He's roughly 1.5 years old, maybe a bit older, and he has been living his whole life in a little 12"x12" cage with little interaction and no exercise :( 

AnTwOVs.jpg

rVb0pEm.jpg

qUy27zh.jpg

q7KW8NJ.jpg

Now he's been home with me for only about 30 hours and he's already doing so so well. He's an incredibly trusting little bird who already manages to step up on my finger. He's been able to explore a budgie-proof room already (on his own time--I don't force him to do anything he doesn't want to) and he has already gotten the hang of flying inside his room and allowing me to return him to his cage when it's time to go back. 

My next concerns are getting his diet sorted out... he has been eating a Walmart brand of seeds intended for outdoor wild bird feeders. But in the mean time I think he's having a good time and I'm sure we'll become best friends soon :) 

That is so great your able to give him a much better home... :) He looks so sweet and cute :)

He's beautiful!!! I have 2 Budgies and they are great!!!!

15 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

He's beautiful!!! I have 2 Budgies and they are great!!!!

I had one many moons ago. His name was IDoc :) 

Oooh a parakeet! Congrats! I have 2 male Parakeets. Welcome to the world of birds as pets :) There are groups that I belong to on Facebook and they helped me out a lot. Not sure what you have looked up during your birdie research but here are some things important to know. Biggest thing is to not use any Teflon coated pots/pans cookware, or no air fresheners/frebreeze , scented candles, scents/fumes from cleaning chemicals, never use the self clean oven feature on your stove, and the list goes on. Surprising what scents can harm your bird's delicate respiratory system! Also during free flight time keep the toilet lid closed or the bathroom door shut, and never cook when your bird is out of his cage, don't do laundry if your bird can access the laundry room while loose, he could get into the washer/dryer, or even get under the clothes and you don't know he is there as you toss the clothes into the machines. That is what happened to my mom's bird in her 20's he got between the walls of the washer and washer drum and drowned before they could get him out :(  there have been stories of birds drowning in the toilet or landing in hot cooking pans especially boiling water is very attractive to birds. Keep ceiling fans off and mirrors covered if he's out flying around, and of course keep windows and door shut unless you have screens. Watch him around the aquariums if there is a space in the tanks hood, like where the filters go etc, he could fall into the tank while trying to bathe or be attracted to the water sounds and motion of the filters and drown. Seems a bit scary the precautions you need to be aware of with pet birds, but just try to remember these things. Definitely get him off the wild bird food, and give him some good quality parakeet seed, and a lot of people get their birds to eat parakeet bird pellet food, which is better than an all seed diet. Parakeets like fresh fruits and veggies. There are packaged bird meals you can also cook that had pasta, veggies, etc in it that you boil then let cool and feed. Just don't feed salty foods or chocolate, alcohol, sweet sugary foods etc. And their toys...I was surprised to find out how many toys actually made for pet birds are actually really dangerous and has harmed or killed birds! I never knew until some people in my FB parakeet group informed me thankfully because I had some bad bird toys! . No stringy toys or tassels, don't use millet seed holders, or those "birdy huts" or "birdie tents". plus more. I hope I didn't scare you with all of this info, just trying to help you out so you know right away about some important info. If you have any questions I can try and help you out ;) 

Thank you everyone! I'm loving having this little guy home with me! 

He's still staying in the small cage for now to get settled in the new house, but I did get him new perches and bowls to replace the plastic ones he had before.

oREouUH.jpg

On 5/11/2017 at 4:12 PM, Fish Of Gold said:

Oooh a parakeet! Congrats! I have 2 male Parakeets. Welcome to the world of birds as pets :) There are groups that I belong to on Facebook and they helped me out a lot. Not sure what you have looked up during your birdie research but here are some things important to know. Biggest thing is to not use any Teflon coated pots/pans cookware, or no air fresheners/frebreeze , scented candles, scents/fumes from cleaning chemicals, never use the self clean oven feature on your stove, and the list goes on. Surprising what scents can harm your bird's delicate respiratory system! Also during free flight time keep the toilet lid closed or the bathroom door shut, and never cook when your bird is out of his cage, don't do laundry if your bird can access the laundry room while loose, he could get into the washer/dryer, or even get under the clothes and you don't know he is there as you toss the clothes into the machines. That is what happened to my mom's bird in her 20's he got between the walls of the washer and washer drum and drowned before they could get him out :(  there have been stories of birds drowning in the toilet or landing in hot cooking pans especially boiling water is very attractive to birds. Keep ceiling fans off and mirrors covered if he's out flying around, and of course keep windows and door shut unless you have screens. Watch him around the aquariums if there is a space in the tanks hood, like where the filters go etc, he could fall into the tank while trying to bathe or be attracted to the water sounds and motion of the filters and drown. Seems a bit scary the precautions you need to be aware of with pet birds, but just try to remember these things. Definitely get him off the wild bird food, and give him some good quality parakeet seed, and a lot of people get their birds to eat parakeet bird pellet food, which is better than an all seed diet. Parakeets like fresh fruits and veggies. There are packaged bird meals you can also cook that had pasta, veggies, etc in it that you boil then let cool and feed. Just don't feed salty foods or chocolate, alcohol, sweet sugary foods etc. And their toys...I was surprised to find out how many toys actually made for pet birds are actually really dangerous and has harmed or killed birds! I never knew until some people in my FB parakeet group informed me thankfully because I had some bad bird toys! . No stringy toys or tassels, don't use millet seed holders, or those "birdy huts" or "birdie tents". plus more. I hope I didn't scare you with all of this info, just trying to help you out so you know right away about some important info. If you have any questions I can try and help you out ;) 

Thank you for all the advice :) Luckily I have read about most of this stuff before... I'm a little bit of a fanatic when it comes to new pet research :teehee

That's a very good point about making sure there's no access to the aquarium though... most of the tank is covered but there are some small gaps back where the filters are. I'll cover those holes with window screen I think. Also thanks for the tips about cooked pasta... I'll try offering him a small piece and see what he thinks. So far he really like green leaf lettuce, spinach, grapes, strawberries, and mango (and of course seeds and millet). 

congrats on the new bird!! I would highly advise having the wings clipped!! It is always better to be safe than sorry with a new bird and having them adjust to a new house. I have heard a few stories how people had purchased new birds and did not clip the wings and they have flown out open windows or doors. I do not want to see that happening to you! :hug

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

congrats on the new bird!! I would highly advise having the wings clipped!! It is always better to be safe than sorry with a new bird and having them adjust to a new house. I have heard a few stories how people had purchased new birds and did not clip the wings and they have flown out open windows or doors. I do not want to see that happening to you! :hug

I had one even with it trimmed he flew out my door. I found him in the mailing room. I was very lucky :o 

8 hours ago, koko said:

I had one even with it trimmed he flew out my door. I found him in the mailing room. I was very lucky :o 

yes! Even trimmed with the right gust they can still glide! I'm glad you were able to get him!

I've made a lot of progress with Shiro in the past couple of days. We're now starting the transition to the big cage. He willingly comes out of his cage onto my hand if I put some bird seed in my palm. He's learning the command for "kiss" through clicker training and taking individual grains of millet from the tip of my finger. He'll climb up my arms now but doesn't really like to sit in place on me unless he's being fed. I've introduced pellets to him and he's been trying them/nibbling on them. He's eating all sorts of greens like baby kale and spinach and he's pooping a bunch haha smile.gif 

I bought him a cement pediperch and he really likes that and has been using it to groom the tip of his beak. He also lets me pet his head sometimes and I think he actually enjoys it when I pet him on the beak.

Glad your having fun with Shiro!!!!!

Thank you!

More pictures because why not :)

cbcda04438d6fa7b8fbe5a3dbc34a216.jpg
cec2a9d8cde7f7398e2da305b895e139.jpgd8e3385c264570e16058602dafb7df58.jpg959022846964bb7c037c43708d72f30d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks so cool, love that he's all white :) 

Pretty bird...my grandparents had one...loved to take baths under running water out of faucet in kitchen sink...was part of the family...open cage, I remember one time he walked right across my grandpa's pancakes, syrup and all !!

18 minutes ago, DebDee said:

Pretty bird...my grandparents had one...loved to take baths under running water out of faucet in kitchen sink...was part of the family...open cage, I remember one time he walked right across my grandpa's pancakes, syrup and all !!

I had a bird that would walk a crossed spaghetti and then walk a crossed your shirt :rofl 

Here's a little video of me and Shiro hanging out and him getting some pets/scratches. 

Cutie. Budgies are sweet little things. They're amazing to see in the wild too, huge flocks in the thousands - almost like locusts. 

7 hours ago, Daniel said:

Cutie. Budgies are sweet little things. They're amazing to see in the wild too, huge flocks in the thousands - almost like locusts. 

I would love to see them in the wild that would be so cool :)