Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Conquest28

What fish can I keep with my goldies?

Hi there!

I am new to this website but I have had goldfish for a few years now. However I have never kept any other fish with them so my question is, what fish can I keep with them? I have two orandas and I was thinking about introducing a betta or guppy to the tank at 24-25 degrees C (with a heater) although I am unsure if they will get along. 

23 minutes ago, Conquest28 said:

Hi there!

I am new to this website but I have had goldfish for a few years now. However I have never kept any other fish with them so my question is, what fish can I keep with them? I have two orandas and I was thinking about introducing a betta or guppy to the tank at 24-25 degrees C (with a heater) although I am unsure if they will get along. 

Goldfish are peaceful fish over all. Betta's or Guppies will nip at the fins or the goldfish its self. 

Some ppl here have bristle nose plecos or Dojo's but over all goldfish like to be with goldfish. They are a lot happier with there own kind :)

:welcome 

Keep goldfish with goldfish.  They would find the guppies delicious, and bettas aren't even social with their own kind.  If you have a large pond, you can keep goldfish with koi.

2 minutes ago, shakaho said:

Keep goldfish with goldfish.  They would find the guppies delicious, and bettas aren't even social with their own kind.  If you have a large pond, you can keep goldfish with koi.

They fry would be food for them, The adults are harder for the goldfish to catch. I wouldn't even go with Female betta's either..

I agree with you after all these years trying to mix them,l Goldfish go with Goldfish or Koi.. :) 

Thank you everyone for the quick responses and great advice. I will be getting another goldfish and will definitely be using this site again! Thanks again, Conquest28?

2 hours ago, Conquest28 said:

Thank you everyone for the quick responses and great advice. I will be getting another goldfish and will definitely be using this site again! Thanks again, Conquest28?

Anytime. Thats what we are here for :thumbs: 

Welcome to the site, Conquest! :)

They're really best in their own tank but I've had white cloud minnows and ancistrus (bristle nose pleco) in with goldfish and it's been fine.  Careful with ancistrus though, though can get territorial and mine did.  I had to change which side of the tank I was feeding the goldfish on so they wouldn't be attacked with the spurs on the ancistrus.  Now everyone is happy but the aggression surprised me initially, as this fish had been peaceful for the three years prior.

18 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

They're really best in their own tank but I've had white cloud minnows and ancistrus (bristle nose pleco) in with goldfish and it's been fine.  Careful with ancistrus though, though can get territorial and mine did.  I had to change which side of the tank I was feeding the goldfish on so they wouldn't be attacked with the spurs on the ancistrus.  Now everyone is happy but the aggression surprised me initially, as this fish had been peaceful for the three years prior.

One of mine did that too. It was years ago, I had to give the fish to TD's Guppy tank cause it wouldn't let my Goldfish be :(

Goldfish really do belong to just goldfish :) 

Welcome to Kokos!!!!

On 8 May 2017 at 3:28 PM, Conquest28 said:

Hi there!

Update, I have today purchased a water loach and a Black Moor, they have been introduced to the tank and all is going well. My 2 Orandas seem perfectly comfortable with the two other types in the tank!

I hope your tank holds at least 75 gallons.  See guidelines.

I'm afraid it is smaller than that however it has a filter capable of the water amount and I do 50% water changes each week with a complete clean each month. Any food not eaten within 30minutes is also removed from the tank to avoid extra waste.

2 hours ago, Conquest28 said:

I'm afraid it is smaller than that however it has a filter capable of the water amount and I do 50% water changes each week with a complete clean each month. Any food not eaten within 30minutes is also removed from the tank to avoid extra waste.

The problem is that goldfish produce a lot of waste and you will not be able to keep up with them with them in a small tank. Trust us a lot of us have been doing this for many of years. Goldfish are only hard to take care of if you don't take care of them right. 

. :) 

Rosy red minnow or aka fathead minnow. You can probably buy some golden shinners from a bait shop if you want something a little bigger.

On 5/20/2017 at 5:43 PM, Conquest28 said:

When we say you should provide 20 gallons of water per goldfish, we assume that your filter turns over the volume of the tank 10X  per hour and that you change at least 50% of the water weekly.  If you had a 20 gallon tank. The filter should turn over at least 200 gallons per hour. .  If you put 2 goldfsh in this tank you should change 50% of the water twice a week.