Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RobertTheOranda

Black Moores eye seems to have exploded/ruptured over night! (graphic imgs inside)

Good morning all!

I woke up this morning and noticed one of my tanks was cloudy, I then say the horrible state that my Black Moore was in... One of his eyes is completely deflated and hanging there.

I immediately did a 70% water change and started googling. Seems like these guys are prone to injury. I looked around the tank and everything is mostly smooth except for a heater clip that the heater fell out of. I don't know what else he could have hit it on. That's really the only pointy/sharp thing, but it must have been that way since the tank was set up almost a year ago.

I started ramping up the salt level of the tank after the water change. I added 40 tsp of salt to get it up to 0.1%, i will wait 12 hours and jump up to 0.2 and then another twelve up to 0.3%.

• I know he should survive this, but my concern is the chunk of bloody meat that's just hanging there, I'm concerned about how much pain it is causing. Is this something i should address?
  • Should i do anything else in addition to the salt?
  • Could this be caused by something else other than physical damage? I don't think the Oranda could have caused it.

Here are the test results:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)  10ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7 to 7.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)       7.6 or 7.8
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?      Api master kit
      • * Water temperature?  68f
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?  40gallon breeder, at least a year
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? SunSun 304B
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly, 80%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days ago and 80%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? This tank has the 1 black moore and 1 large oranda.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Seachem Safe is used with every water change
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari lionhead 1x or 2x a day. I have been trying to skip days here and there though.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? nope
  • * Any medications added to the tank? nope
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  Both fish have always been healthy.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? nope
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope

IqQuPDCl.jpg

7Nuopu9l.jpg

Edited by RobertTheOranda

Oh geez that is just so sad to see :(

If you can get us a full tank shot :) The best thing is what your doing now... Clean water and salt... 

Hello,

Here are the full tank shots... Super bare tank, so really not much i could see her get stuck/injured on. Thats why I was curious if it could be a biological thing or not.

PCN54p1l.jpgITV2O1bl.jpg

How painful is this for the fish? If thats still connected by the nerve i can see it being insanely painful.

I don't want to have him suffering for my sake.

11 minutes ago, RobertTheOranda said:

How painful is this for the fish? If thats still connected by the nerve i can see it being insanely painful.

I don't want to have him suffering for my sake.

It looks like he could have wedged himself on that thing on the right hand back wall.... There is a knob sticking out and goldfish can do some strange things.... 

Im sure he can feel some pain but we don't know exactly how much pain goldfish can feel.... As long as he's being himself and swimming I wouldn't worry to much... I have had a goldfish get its eye sucked out by another goldfish and did just fine... I have seen goldfish hop out of a tank being all dried out on a side and make it... The key is clean water :) 

Goldfish feeling pain or illness usually tell you with clamped fins, bottom sitting, and poor appetite.

That's awful.  Is it possible his tank mate nibbled on it or plucked it out?  It doesn't look like it from this angle but that's the only other possibility I can think of.

7 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

That's awful.  Is it possible his tank mate nibbled on it or plucked it out?  It doesn't look like it from this angle but that's the only other possibility I can think of.

That was my last thought.... 

How is your fish this morning? 

On 4/30/2017 at 11:02 AM, koko said:

That was my last thought.... 

How is your fish this morning? 

3 week Update:

The eye healed up swimmingly well. He acts the same and it seems to have healed really well. No issues, no sign of infection.

Thank you all for the help. I really appreciate it.

If someone else finds this in the future the only thing I treated with was salt. The bloody fleshy bits fell off in a day or so. 

8 hours ago, RobertTheOranda said:

3 week Update:

The eye healed up swimmingly well. He acts the same and it seems to have healed really well. No issues, no sign of infection.

Thank you all for the help. I really appreciate it.

If someone else finds this in the future the only thing I treated with was salt. The bloody fleshy bits fell off in a day or so. 

Great news :thumbup2:

Great! That's surprisingly common, eyes look terrible but they tend to heal best when left alone in an environment conducive to healing.  Consistently  clean water and maybe salt are usually all that are needed.