Kokos Goldfish Forum
titch

The next phase. Any advice?

27 minutes ago, fantailfan1 said:

Here ya go. The plants are so big you can't see the wood.

Oooh...? Love them both. 

Stunning fish too!! That mahoosive ranchu would look lovely in my new tank!:teehee

Whats the plant far right of the black-on-black tank?

1 hour ago, Goldfishbeginner said:

That is such an awesome tank. Congrats!

Thank you :D It was a bit of a trek to fetch, but worth it. I hope!

3 hours ago, titch said:

Oooh...? Love them both. 

Stunning fish too!! That mahoosive ranchu would look lovely in my new tank!:teehee

Whats the plant far right of the black-on-black tank?

Thank you!!  That big ole ranchu is Saki.   I got her from another member on here a few years ago. :heart  

It's some sort of crinum . . .   It's planted in the sand, can't glue that one to anything.  

For what it's worth it you have darker fish, like my moors, the black on black kind of stinks.  I have it in my tank but I'm actually going to scoop out the sand and swap it for a natural lighter shade so they're more visible.  They like stealth mode in the tank too, but I'd like to be able to see them better :P

Cool!!! That tank is big enough to get into

I have had issues with driftwood too.

Where abouts are you located? I ask because you say litres and I'm in Australia so it's nice to see a measurement I relate to without a calculator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, LouiseAnn said:

Where abouts are you located? I ask because you say litres and I'm in Australia so it's nice to see a measurement I relate to without a calculator emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Oh come on.. :rofl:tomuch: 

5 hours ago, LouiseAnn said:

Cool!!! That tank is big enough to get into

I've not tried. Yet! I'm quite short so pretty sure I'd manage a couple of strokes if I tried!

5 hours ago, LouiseAnn said:

Where abouts are you located? I ask because you say litres and I'm in Australia so it's nice to see a measurement I relate to without a calculator emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I'm in the UK so litres it is. Not sure what these guys are on about most of the time. I mean....gallons?!! Pfft! :blink:

:whistle :lol:

I dragged my husband round a garden centre today trying to find river rocks & came across these. 

902760B6-297D-488C-A59F-E6866AE5CB49_zps

5CC91F13-0EF8-43FA-9F8A-9C44429951D5_zps

I know I'd need to do the vinegar test to be sure, but what do you guys reckon? I think the purple ones would look cool in a black-on-black tank, or even the grey & white ones in the same pic.

Have I made it up or did I read somewhere that rocks with veins are unsuitable as they're likely to be deposits of.... something that I can't remember?

So far my trawl of LFS & online hasn't come up with anything bigger than a pebble. 

Edited by titch

I know that I bought a brown one like the ones you shown here and had a mineral that was rusting. So I would suggest not those. The black ones look cool. 

5 minutes ago, koko said:

I know that I bought a brown one like the ones you shown here and had a mineral that was rusting. So I would suggest not those. The black ones look cool. 

None of them, no?

Just now, titch said:

None of them, no?

Well hun. I would do is a test on them. The black/white ones look very cool. The white ones Im not sure what that is looks a little like Lime stone. Could you ask the guys there what kind of rocks they are.? 

If it porous don't get the rock TD says. He said the first one looks to be Quartz which if it is would be fine too :) 

5 minutes ago, koko said:

Well hun. I would do is a test on them. The black/white ones look very cool. The white ones Im not sure what that is looks a little like Lime stone. Could you ask the guys there what kind of rocks they are.? 

If it porous don't get the rock TD says. He said the first one looks to be Quartz which if it is would be fine too :) 

Yeah, the white & sandy ones felt a little chalky so discounted those I think. 

Which colour one does TD think looks like Quartz?

I'll have to stash a vial of vinegar in my handbag & do a secret test. I'm not buying them first to find out they're no good once I get them home. They're not cheap!

2 hours ago, titch said:

Yeah, the white & sandy ones felt a little chalky so discounted those I think. 

Which colour one does TD think looks like Quartz?

I'll have to stash a vial of vinegar in my handbag & do a secret test. I'm not buying them first to find out they're no good once I get them home. They're not cheap!

Thats the one he thought might be quartz. 

TD just said if its that chalky it might be lime stone. No good then

I would try the black/white or the purple ones. You should be able to ask them what kind of rocks they are :) 

52 minutes ago, koko said:

I would try the black/white or the purple ones. You should be able to ask them what kind of rocks they are :) 

Ok, thanks. 

I'll try asking but if I'm being brutally honest, looking at the staff today, the answer to the question "what type of rock is this?" would likely be "a hard one" :huh:

Keep in mind too that when they are wet the stones will look darker  I'm not sure how well the purple ones would show up on black sand. :idont  They are super cool looking though . . .  I have some black and white (I picked out the ones with mostly white) stones in my tank.  Not sure if the pic I posted shows them. :hmm

I'm bored so I took a couple pics. :rofl3
Photobombed by Finley
ab94558797507251ff2ae5c7b520667b.jpg

And photobombed by Swimmie who we've had almost 8 years. She can do what she wants. :teehee
1c79074964d178edbb56d7172633dd64.jpg

Edit:  Don't mind the brown algae.  I've given up on it for the summer. :rofl  Also I just cleaned the tank yesterday.  They like to spit sand onto the rocks . . . :doh11:

This is what my 55 gallon use to look like.

95842d49-9dbf-450d-950e-17637ffa2afe_zps

3 minutes ago, fantailfan1 said:

I'm bored so I took a couple pics.

Aw, thanks for these. The rocks look good. As do Finley & Swimmie :o

Yeah, the purple ones do look kinda cool & different. If they pass the vinegar test I'll pour a bit of water on them to see what they're like wet. Although....this is England so likely to be raining when I go see them anyway! :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, DawnMichele said:

This is what my 55 gallon use to look like.

95842d49-9dbf-450d-950e-17637ffa2afe_zps

Oh wow! The red stones look VERY cool against the black.

Not seen anything like them locally though :(

What type of rock is it?

5 hours ago, titch said:

Ok, thanks. 

I'll try asking but if I'm being brutally honest, looking at the staff today, the answer to the question "what type of rock is this?" would likely be "a hard one" :huh:

:teehee

On Saturday, May 06, 2017 at 5:15 PM, titch said:

Oh wow! The red stones look VERY cool against the black.

Not seen anything like them locally though :(

What type of rock is it?

I got the rocks from ADG. They are just ordinary rock's.

7 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

I got the rocks from ADG. They are just ordinary rock's.

Sorry, stupid question - what's ADG?

Not stupid.  I was wondering the same thing. :)

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Not stupid.  I was wondering the same thing. :)

Me too