Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
mjfromga

Here's Tubby boy Nigredo

8 posts in this topic

He's fat. I don't know why. He was neutered at like 10 weeks so maybe that's why the vet surmised. Me and the vets have tried everything and he's just fat. I figure he might lose some weight on a raw Prey Model diet but I can't afford to feed a giant dog that kind of diet!

His thyroid is fine and I don't feed him a lot and I try to get him some exercise. He probably doesn't get as much as he needs these days but it never helped even when he did. He's been fat ever since he was like a year old. My last dog wasn't fat at all and our other dog isn't fat at all. It's just him. He's pretty healthy otherwise. Oh well! He's a good boy.

He's Labrador and Great Pyrenees and over 100 lbs. He likes everyone and all animals and he won't go anywhere even though there's no fence. He's a good boy. He's allergic to soy and wheat and maybe a few other things. He sheds a lot and manages to get fleas even though we give him regular flea drops (Fipronil). It doesn't seem to work well on him. Our other pets don't get fleas, again its just him. 

He is beautiful. Reminds me a lot of my Max who is also a fat lab mix lol

1 hour ago, FishyMandy said:

He is beautiful. Reminds me a lot of my Max who is also a fat lab mix lol

Lol thanks. My last Labrador mix was this majestic guy named Brownie. These photos are of him at 13 years old with the last one being him almost 16 years old a few months before I had to have him euthanized. Never a drop of fat on him and healthy dog. I've tried everything with Nigredo and he's just a porky tub of lard. Nigredo couldn't jump like that if his life depended on it! 

003-8.jpg

002-1.jpg

006-12.jpg

030-2.jpg

Well I just can say he looks happy and healthy and thats all that matters. It just might be the breeds mixed that makes look fat :) 

Lol no he's definitely a porker. He's got chub all over him. It doesn't seem to bother him for now but he was born with a dysplastic hip (you'll notice his cute little WOBBLE when he walks) and extra weight will just make it more likely that he will have debilitating arthritis as he ages.

He's still a nice dog. I just miss my old dog sometimes. I got this dog hoping he would be like that dog but he is not. The lady told me Nigredo was a lab and collie mix and would only be 60 lbs fully grown. That's what I wanted. A nice medium sized athletic Labrador mix like my Brownie was and a shelter lady told me that and so I adopted him. 

A vet quickly shot this down and said it was DEFINITELY Great Pyrenees and not Border Collie that made up much of his mix and to expect around 90 lbs. I didn't want a big dog like that but by then I already had him and had begun to love him. 

Edited by mjfromga

Yea when we got Max we were told he was a Kelpie Cross and he got a lot bigger than we were expecting lol. He is very fat but loves to run and jump. 

The hard thing about mixes is unless you've seen both parents yourself you never know exactly what they are, just have to go with what you're told, even then it's hard if the parents were mixed too! 

Brownie was beautiful

Edited by FishyMandy

I was a noob then but the tail should have given it away. Neither labs nor collies carry their tails like that. The vet also spotted his double rear dewclaws attached with ligaments and bones (pretty rare, usually only attached by skin) and told me there was no way this puppy would be only 60 lbs. She knew instantly and so I feel like I was deceived by the shelter lady because she knew I wouldn't want the puppy if he wasn't the size I said I was looking for and they're trying to place the dogs in homes.

They neuter dogs way too young and it causes all sorts of problems. They also don't allow you to walk the puppies out and they make you carry them. They say it's for disease prevention. They keep them in smallish concrete squares built into the floor and you can only play with them over the top of those and there's not much room. Nigredo was born with hip dysplasia. Had I been allowed to see him walk freely, I would have been able to tell but they don't allow it. The shelter is not very ethical and they're very intrusive with adoption process. 

Anyway he's always been a good dog and never caused any true problems. Even as a puppy he took to me instantly and he never needed any leashes or restraints. He would never run away and he's always been like that. At least he's got that Labrador loyalty. 

DSCN1934_zps5b708cb2.jpg

DSCN2260_zps4b823e28.jpg

DSCN2576_zps4e1ce978.jpg

Well no matter what that pouch loves you hun... thats what matters now... he's just so cute :)