yogosans14

Wanting to upgrade 60 gallon Marineland lighting

4 posts in this topic

Its this tank:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/supplies/aquariums-and-stands/aquariums/marineland-60-gallon-heartland-led-aquarium-with-stand-5248474.html

I currently use the LED lights that it came with and they suck, can't see my fish really well. I'm looking to upgrade to a bright LED System that will work for this tank and is relatively cheap. Will a standard 48 inch led light bar work for this tank?

On 26/04/2017 at 6:55 AM, yogosans14 said:

Its this tank:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/supplies/aquariums-and-stands/aquariums/marineland-60-gallon-heartland-led-aquarium-with-stand-5248474.html

I currently use the LED lights that it came with and they suck, can't see my fish really well. I'm looking to upgrade to a bright LED System that will work for this tank and is relatively cheap. Will a standard 48 inch led light bar work for this tank?

Sorry for the delay in getting a response. 

If you're only interested in illuminating fish, anything will work. So yes, a regular LED of appropriate length will suffice. 

I also have a 60 gallon aquarium and I recently purchased the Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED. I got the 48" model (which has extendable feet that can go up to 60". I bought it off amazon for about $60 and I have to say I'm absolutely loving it. The light intensity and color is adjustable with white/blue lights so you can get a customized color spectrum that you think looks the best for your tank. It also has some pre-set lighting modes in there as well. I personally think this is one of the best large LEDs for the price... so long as you're only looking to illuminate your tank and not grow plants. Growing plants will require something much more powerful and therefore much more expensive. 

I have the same Marineland ensemble, stand and all, but have the regular fluorescent lights in the hood...they're horrible and cast a cold, hospital-like hue on the water...

I would have much rather have had the LED kit, as shown with the OP's tank, which came with one of those cool night light "moon" lamps to switch on...