aditya2105

Goldfish filter

6 posts in this topic

The filter in my Goldfish tank has stopped working...I have to buy a new one... I'm scared it's gonna disturb the nitrogen cycle.. What do I do?

Sent from my XT1706 using Tapatalk

when will you be buying a new one?

I'll place an order by tmw and it should be delivered by 4-5 days..Btw any suggestions how strong a filter I should buy...I have a 90gal tank

Have you cleaned the impeller and its housing?  A dirty, sticky impeller can stop a filter.  

You can take the medium from your filter, rinse the muck out with dechlorinated water, and put the medium in the tank. As long as you decrease the amount you feed and increase your water changes this should keep nitrification going.

You can improve nitrification if you have an airstone.  You can just put the airstone in the middle of the pile of media.  The stream of bubbles will circulate the tank water through the medium.

When you get your new filter, replace the new filter medium with the old cycled medium.  If the new filter is bigger than the old one, you may have room for some of the new medium as well.

Test your water every day.  Seachem Prime can protect your fish from up to 1 ppm ammonia/nitrite, but you have to add the Prime at least every second day.  If you get a nitrite spike, add a teaspoon of salt for each 10 gallons of water in your tank.  This won't lower the nitrite reading, but it will protect the fish from the nitrite.

Impeller? What is that?

What kind of filter will you order?  Link us to your potential choices.

Impeller cleaning.