Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DieselPlower

Dang Aqueon water changer broke again. Got a Python

Well after my Aqueon water changer broke for the second time I decided to try out the Python. They always get better reviews so it seems I'd be dumb not to get one. It came fully assembled in the package which was nice. If I recall correctly I had to assemble the Aqueon. The Python came with a metal adaptor for the sink, which is nicer that the plastic one with the Python. I do not use suction from the sink to empty the aquarium. I use gravity instead. This may just be my imagination but I believe the Python emptied water from my 125 faster. This could just be my imagination. I think part of my problem with the Aqueon was that I lazily stored it in a place where it got UV from the Sun, which probably degraded the plastic pieces, leading to their failure. I will store the Python more carefully. One thing I do not like about the python it that the attachments where you can control the flow of water are an awkward distance from the end of the tank. The added weight makes the end want to fall out of the tank. I imagine I can overcome this. Here is a picture if what I mean. aa723924b4277d0be4e04ab8f0e587dd.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I had both, well I have the python first when it came out. The quality is better on the Python. The Aqueon's quality is cheaper, but it weights less, easier to wrap up, and put away. I got another Aqueon water changer when I got back into fish keeping, because I found it at a better price of $25 for the 25 ft.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

You might consider getting THE CLAW for it.  Curious fish can get sucked in........I had it happen quite awhile ago....it was awful! I only put it on AFTER I finish cleaning as I am constantly watching but it is easy to get distracted when just removing water & cost you a goldie!:yikes

I took that part off as mine did the same thing and then over the years (i have had mine now for 7 years ) it started to leak at the turn knob thing.... So TD and I just took a mess bag from an old whisper filter and then a Zip tie at the top and then slide it on the intake. This way there is a mess bag on the end so the fish can't go up into the hose. Then I just place the Mesh bag into my filter so it works in the filter and on the hose :) 

Yep, the mesh bag is a good way to go too!

Just NEVER think that not putting something on it while siphoning will be "ok THIS time"............that just might be the time your favorite fish gets pulled in! :(

22 hours ago, Jeana727 said:

Yep, the mesh bag is a good way to go too!

Just NEVER think that not putting something on it while siphoning will be "ok THIS time"............that just might be the time your favorite fish gets pulled in! :(

yeah I sucked one up years ago.. Never again :) 

1 hour ago, koko said:

yeah I sucked one up years ago.. Never again :) 

You did or the Python????  :teehee

Edited by DawnMichele

3 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

You did or the Python????  :teehee

Well not me the Python but I was operating so I guess me :o 

I prefer the Python.  I close my tank lid and put a rock on the lid to keep the Python in place. :o  You could also get a clamp to hold it in place.  I've done it that way before too. :D

3 hours ago, fantailfan1 said:

I prefer the Python.  I close my tank lid and put a rock on the lid to keep the Python in place. :o  You could also get a clamp to hold it in place.  I've done it that way before too. :D

I put mine under the hood while Im doing it... :) The light is heavy enough to keep it down :) 

If you wanted, you could also cut the tubing and put a j-bend in it. That would keep it in place, although it might be cumbersome when draining/cleaning.

Great ideas thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

After I finish cleaning & water changing I take it out on the driveway & get all the water I can outta there. (I often wish I had a "doo-hickey" up in a tree that I could hook it to where it would hang & let it really dry completely (but I am WAY past my  "shimmying" up a tree years!) But actually I get it pretty decently dry & haven't had any real issues with keeping it clean.

AND there's the FUN of rolling it up so it'll fit in my cabinet.................it REALLY becomes a PYTHON then!!!

Edited by Jeana727

1 hour ago, Jeana727 said:

After I finish cleaning & water changing I take it out on the driveway & get all the water I can outta there. (I often wish I had a "doo-hickey" up in a tree that I could hook it to where it would hang & let it really dry completely (but I am WAY past my  "shimmying" up a tree years!) But actually I get it pretty decently dry & haven't had any real issues with keeping it clean.

AND there's the FUN of rolling it up so it'll fit in my cabinet.................it REALLY becomes a PYTHON then!!!

I want to see you climb a tree Jeana!!!!  :lol:

You will have to use your imagination!

1 hour ago, Jeana727 said:

You will have to use your imagination!

:teehee