Kokos Goldfish Forum
emilyalice91

Growth/ball in eye?

This is my calico telescope named Rush. I've had her for half a year. She's in a 55 gallon with three other telescopes. They are all pretty small (3-4 inches at the moment)
The Tank has been cycled for about 9 months and is running with a AquaClear 70 HOB and a fluval 306 canister. 
Ammonia consistently below 0.25 ppm, Nitrite has never spiked, is always 0, and Nitrate is consistently about 20 ppm. pH about 7-8. I use tap water for water changes, but always fill up a 30 gallon Rubbermaid trash can first and treat it with prime before adding it to my aquarium.
Anyways, I just noticed this morning that she has a ball in her right eye. She does have abnormally large eyes compared to her tank mates, so my first thought was maybe she damaged it. But when I looked closer, I saw that what's in her eye looks like a ball. so what is it? a growth? a parasite? I just started watching her and observing that she has slight buoyancy issues. She tips forward for a second or two and becomes vertical while she's looking for food, especially under the direct flow of the HOB filter. 
I am really worried. She is my favorite girl. I'm looking at pictures I've taken of her and it looks like she must have developed this "ball" in the eye within the last week or two because it's not present in any of her photos from mid Match.

Here are some pics of her. Any one know what this is? I am worried about her health :/ 
(the first pic is of her eye when it was normal)

IMG_3658.jpg

here's what her eye looks like now. You can see the ball in her right eye:

IMG_4033.png

IMG_4035.png

IMG_4034.png

I should mention too that this tank is bare bottom, and I feel them two different types of hikari sinking pellets (daily) with the addition of either repashy gel food or frozen blood worms about 5 days a week. And now that I am looking at the photos above, her left eye is cloudy too :(

Looks like cataracts to me.  The one in her right eye is more dense than the one in her left eye.  I'm guessing with time the left one will develop further.  

Cataracts are fairly common in telescopes and there isn't any treatment.  Her vision will be compromised so just be sure she gets her fair share of food. :)

31 minutes ago, fantailfan1 said:

Looks like cataracts to me.  The one in her right eye is more dense than the one in her left eye.  I'm guessing with time the left one will develop further.  

Cataracts are fairly common in telescopes and there isn't any treatment.  Her vision will be compromised so just be sure she gets her fair share of food. :)

thank you so much for the reply. I posted this exact post on another forum days ago and I have like 40 views and no replies and I was getting more and more worried. 

If this just compromises her sight, I am fine with that. I am more than happy to take care of her and make sure she gets proper amounts of food. I was just worried that this was going to be something worse that would shorten her life. 

I read some where that telescopes are prone to cataracts. Maybe this is actually whats going on. 

Cataracts are indeed very common in the telescope eyes goldfish and that cloudy spot does indeed look like one to me as well.  Not much for it but making sure he still gets a good share of food if his vision is compromised.

ETA - ha!  I should have read the whole thread and not just the first post, Lisa beat me to it :)

Edited by Arctic Mama

Rush is beautiful.

Beautiful fish! I've had many telescopes with cataracts and they all get along fine :)