Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
aditya2105

Unusual activity

11 posts in this topic

So today morning when I see...One of my female goldfish was doing this...It come on top ,comes way out of the water takes a gulp of air goes in holds it for sometime and then leaves it and again starts breathing...This cycle he keeps doing....Water parameters are normal..Other fish are fine...What's the issue..The tank is well aerated

Sent from my XT1706 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, aditya2105 said:

So today morning when I see...One of my female goldfish was doing this...It come on top ,comes way out of the water takes a gulp of air goes in holds it for sometime and then leaves it and again starts breathing...This cycle he keeps doing....Water parameters are normal..Other fish are fine...What's the issue..The tank is well aerated

My first question would be... anyone new added to the tank? 

second would be have you ever praized the fish? 

New were added but about a month ago...Praized??...Don't know what that means...But anyways now I'm home and I see that she is not doing this anymore..I think there was some food stuck in her mouth maybe...Why do u think this happened

"Prazied" means treated with praziquantel, which kills flukes.  We routinely treat new fish with at least 2 weeks of prazi during a month of quarantine.  You should also treat the main tank with prazi for a week before adding the new fish.  

Virtually all fish have flukes, but healthy fish tolerate the stain of flukes they carry and healthy immune systems keep the fluke population under control.  However, if you put healthy fish carrying different strains of flukes together, each can become ill from the flukes tolerated by the other.  Prazi treatment doesn't harm fish or the cycle, so a prazi treatment when moving fish into a container with other fish makes a good safety measure.

The behavior you described, if it happened regularly, could suggest flukes.  If it just happened once, you have nothing to worry about.

Let's wait till tmw...It has stopped for now

2 hours ago, aditya2105 said:

Let's wait till tmw...It has stopped for now

Hun it may stop but if the fish has flukes its not going to :( 

So how do I make sure that she has flukes?

On close observation I see that see that she has a scale raised just behind her eye above the hill slit...I haven't seen her flashing but she was being chased by the males few days ago so maybe because of that and also she keeps picking at the gravel...I can say that something is irritating her

26 minutes ago, aditya2105 said:

So how do I make sure that she has flukes?

Well like Sharon has said Flukes are there.... Kinda like ich its there its just how the fish can handle it.

I Prazi my fish 2 times a year to make sure they are okay. Plus I keep my tank closed. Meaning I don't add anything new to the tank. :) after I have praiz the tank :) 

Oh and you can't see flukes with the naked eye you have to use a Microscope to see them :) 

The behavior you described, if it happened regularly, could suggest flukes.  If it just happened once, you have nothing to worry about.

She has not done this activity tday...So does that mean I have nothing to worry about?