Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mike73

Hole in her Fins???

Hello guys!!!

So out of no where lately I see my Black Oranda has some hole in her pelvic fins... I'm very worried never seen this.

She still eats like a Champs and active like always...

Any tips and advices will be much appreciated...

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57157586156d40b3703a14590dee02ef.jpg

If you can please fill out our standard diagnostic form it would be super helpful :). We cannot tell what is causing the holes from the picture alone, though it is certainly helpful for the whole perspective on the tank.  A well lit photo with a closeup of the fins in bright light would also really assist us, since I cannot see whether the have holes or are just tattered.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
      • * Any new fish added to the tank?
      • * Any medications added to the tank?
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
Edited by shakaho
correction

8 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

If you can please fill out our standard diagnostic form it would be super helpful :). We cannot tell what is causing the holes from the picture alone, though it is certainly helpful for the whole perspective on the tank.  A well lit photo with a closeup of the fins in bright light would also really assist us, since I cannot see whether the have holes or are just tattered.

Agree looks more like Chunks are taken out of those fins :o 

She's gorgeous!!! Hope her fins heal soon!!!

Ok, guys for some reason I couldn't copy and paste to fill out the form, so here goes my shot to answer it!

-TANK WATER-

Ammonia level::: 0

Nitrite level::: 0

Nitrate level::: 0

Ph level::: 7.6

High Range Ph level::: 7.4

-TAP WATER-

Ammonia level::: 0

Nitrite level::: 0

Nitrate level::: 0

Ph level::: 7.0

High Range Ph level::: 7.4

--Brand of test kit::: API Master freshwater, Drops.

--Water temperature::: 76-78 (it never reach 80 neither lower then 75, but it variates cuz the room temperature)

--Tank size and how long:::
75 gallons been running for 6 months, before that it was nuke and emptied for 2 months. (Few fishes had die in here before nuking, so crazy me thought that it was infected for new fishes, this was the reason for the nuke)

--Name and size of filter::: Fluval FX6 ( when I nuke the tank this was nuke too and all media was new when I ensamble it 6 months ago)

--Water changes::: Once a week (sundays) 95%

--Last water change::: April 2, 95% (couldn't do it last nite)

--Stock::: 3 in total. 1 Oranda about 7-8 in, and 2 Ranchus about 2-4 in...

--Water additives::: Prime

--Feeding::: NLS Thera A and NLS (can't remember the kind) I know I have 2 different. Mostly every day.

Frozen Blood worms, Frozen Brine Shrimp, frozen peas and Soilent Green Gel food. Few times a week intervals.

--New Fish::: the two Ranchus were added almost 2 months ago, with 2 weeks apart. (1 added than 2 weeks later added the 2).

--Any medication::: NONE

--Unusal findings:: root fins-frayed fins. (The reason we here!)

--Unusual behavior::: none.
Everyone is good, healthy, eating like crazy, and she's acting normal, like always, and come say hi to me at the top when I get close to the tank!

Extra Note::: sometimes I find the gulping in the top of the tank in a corner, (but I believe she's asking for food cuz when I hand feed her is usually the same spot where she gulp for air)..

If more info need it, feel free...

Thanks guys!!!

Here are some better pics, hope you guys see better in here. (I'm bad at taking fish pics...)

65ea4e8a77a105775d4cf39c134157c2.jpg

6f0bb9575327ea1c2206f4e2faed1dc0.jpg

31024aa88edcff596317e11a09b3a1ee.jpg

And here is one of her face::

c73d5ef1be2332cad4d94af9c8da608d.jpg

Please do what I did below -- quote the post with the form in it, and type the answers after the questions.

On 4/9/2017 at 2:33 AM, Arctic Mama said:

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4-7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0 
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?  API Master freshwater, Drops.
      • * Water temperature?  76-78 (it never reach 80 neither lower then 75, but it variates cuz the room temperature)
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons been running for 6 months, before that it was nuke and emptied for 2 months. (Few fishes had die in here before nuking, so crazy me thought that it was infected for new fishes, this was the reason for the nuke)
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval FX6 ( when I nuke the tank this was nuke too and all media was new when I ensamble it 6 months ago)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week (sundays) 95%
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? April 2, 95% (couldn't do it last nite)
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 in total. 1 Oranda about 7-8 in, and 2 Ranchus about 2-4 in...  Please use the standard length (tail not included) rather than the total length (includes tail) and indicate that you have done so by putting "sl" after the length.
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?  Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera A and NLS (can't remember the kind) I know I have 2 different. Mostly every day. Frozen Blood worms, Frozen Brine Shrimp, frozen peas and Soilent Green Gel food. Few times a week intervals.
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? the two Ranchus were added almost 2 months ago, with 2 weeks apart. (1 added than 2 weeks later added the 2).  
      • * Any medications added to the tank? no
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? root fins-frayed fins. (The reason we here!)
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Everyone is good, healthy, eating like crazy, and she's acting normal, like always, and come say hi to me at the top when I get close to the tank!

The first thing I observe is that you read 0 nitrates 8 days after the last water change and the fish have eaten plenty of protein during that time.   Do you exactly follow the instructions for the nitrate test, including all of the shaking for the full time indicated?  

How long did you quarantine the ranchus before adding them to the tank?

Please do what I did below -- quote the post with the form in it, and type the answers after the questions.
The first thing I observe is that you read 0 nitrates 8 days after the last water change and the fish have eaten plenty of protein during that time.   Do you exactly follow the instructions for the nitrate test, including all of the shaking for the full time indicated?  

Yes I do follow the instructions. I will check once I get home.

2-3 weeks quarantine. I thought it was enough since they come from the same breeder...

Yes I do follow the instructions. I will check once I get home.

2-3 weeks quarantine. I thought it was enough since they come from the same breeder...

Now remembering I was rushing at the time I did this test, I take a look at some pics from past test and see the difference, when I get home will do it again and give the exact results, my bad, guys!

Could you show us some whole tank pictures?

I suggest you treat the tank with praziquantel in case this comes from fluke activity.  Prazi won't hurt the fish or the cycle. We routinely treat fish with prazi during quarantine.  You probably won't find it in pet stores, but any fish store should carry it.  Do two treatments at one week intervals.

1 hour ago, shakaho said:

Could you show us some whole tank pictures?

I suggest you treat the tank with praziquantel in case this comes from fluke activity.  Prazi won't hurt the fish or the cycle. We routinely treat fish with prazi during quarantine.  You probably won't find it in pet stores, but any fish store should carry it.  Do two treatments at one week intervals.

If they can't order it online... They could use General Cure. :) 

Thanks!!!
I have PraziPro at home. I will definitely do it...

Just to be sure I have ChemiPure in my filter, I have to remove it to do the Praziquantel treatments, right???

Thanks...

Not sure the answer to that, I would imagine so...but fingers crossed the Prazi helps!!

Yes remove the ChemiPure . . .

Ok, so I just did the Nitrate test again, and waited the 5 mins::: its 10ppm..

899bcb978e51229719b412662abbd4ce.jpg

4469eea702c31fbc0876e9a99fad9bce.jpg

WOW nice clean tank....

Well after looking at your tank... first thing.. Prazi it hun :) Then we can go from there :) 

WOW nice clean tank....
Well after looking at your tank... first thing.. Prazi it hun  Then we can go from there  

Thanks.
Just right now starting the Prazi Treatment...
with a 100% water change... and ChemiPure out.

Hello guys!

866a83c8539cecc3e538e07037002fa5.jpg

223777656f3bc8544d63b355eaa58d9f.jpg

So I don't know which of the girls lay eggs, they have eaten some but other some remains there, this indicate a water change to remove the eggs,

My question is::: apply the PraziPro same dosis again after the water change???
Ps, I add the Prazi on Tuesday, it's only been 4 days...

Thanks in advance!!!

How are you doing... 

yes :) 

Looks to me like fin rot. I think that's an indicator that there's some bad bacteria in your water.

I noticed fin rot starting to happen with my fish about a month ago.. I suspect the tank got contaminated from my not being careful about putting different things in the tank and the cleanliness of the area where I took apart the filter to do maintainance.

I opted to treat with melafix. I know it's a kinda controversial medication and there is some debate to it's effectiveness.

In my experience one fish had some fin rot but I could tell all the fish were being affected by the problem. Which was most likely nasty bacteria. So I just treated the whole tank.

they were also getting aggressive. I believe their behavior was compounded by the problem with the water. There was lots of nipping which just made the fin rot worse. They tend to go after the fish who has worse symptoms.. I used just two does of the melafix per the gallons of water in my tank followed by a big water change and it cured my fish's fin rot in about 7 days. So it worked out for my fishies that the melafix worked. I did catch it early tho.

but since you're already trying other methods, im definitely not recommending this is the way to go for you.. I mainly just wanted to share my fin rot experience. Your best bet is to just keep doin what yur doin.  

Edited by Goldfishbeginner

you know, I'm reading my own comment now and have to roll my eyes a bit..  Even though I found something to treat my fish and it happened to work, I'm going to refrain from giving any medical advice on the forum from here on.  I'm actually not comfortable with doing that.  This is kinda a sensitive subject and I'm not a veterinarian..   So I apologize guys.   I'll probably just come here to look and comment on the nice tanks and goldfish pictures from here on.  ;) 

1 minute ago, Goldfishbeginner said:

you know, I'm reading my own comment now and have to roll my eyes a bit..  Even though I found something to treat my fish and it happened to work, I'm going to refrain from giving any medical advice on the forum from here on.  I'm actually not comfortable with doing that.  This is kinda a sensitive subject and I'm not a veterinarian..   So I apologize guys.   I'll probably just come here to look and comment on the nice tanks and goldfish pictures from here on.  ;) 

Well you can always help ppl i the Tanks area and such. Also join us in the fun in the Chatter Box :)