Kokos Goldfish Forum

This is the breeding season so I've been trying to identify the gender of goldfish I have....There are some fish that are not chased and neither do they chase any identified female fish...What's up with them...How can I know their gender

Sent from my XT1706 using Tapatalk

Do you know how old your fish are?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Some babies like 5-7 months..Those I know I won't be able to figure out so early...The ones I'm trying​ to find out are around 3-4 years

on the adults the females should have a chute that comes out the bottom where they crap from thats to protect the eggs when they come out males shouldnt have it.

11 minutes ago, CometTails said:

its not recommended but you can gently press the sides of the fish and if eggs come out its a girl and if a white sperm comes out its a male.

No - don't do this. This can hurt them. Only professionals should do this and its arguable that even they should. Not all females have an "outtie" vent either. There's an article here somewhere written by a moderator that may help you figure out the gender of your fish.

I have a male that spawned and I SAW release milt that has a vent that is oval shaped and totally looks female. It can be so hard to tell when using only one guideline and so using several will help. 

10 hours ago, mjfromga said:

No - don't do this. This can hurt them. Only professionals should do this and its arguable that even they should. Not all females have an "outtie" vent either. There's an article here somewhere written by a moderator that may help you figure out the gender of your fish.

I have a male that spawned and I SAW release milt that has a vent that is oval shaped and totally looks female. It can be so hard to tell when using only one guideline and so using several will help. 

Thank you Myra.  

11 hours ago, aditya2105 said:

This is the breeding season so I've been trying to identify the gender of goldfish I have....There are some fish that are not chased and neither do they chase any identified female fish...What's up with them...How can I know their gender