Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
myfishfly

Growth Rate of Orandas

I have been keeping African Cichlids for 15 years now and just set up my first 20 gallon long tank for an Oranda. I am now a proud keeper of a 3-inch lemon head whom I've named Wiggles. Now like any new parent, all the questions are flooding through my mind. But for now I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the anticipated growth rate is of Orandas. d25fa61956f8bca397bf906b8ab8f804.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Welcome to Kokos!!!! Wiggles is beautiful!!!!

Well That really depends on a lot of factors :)

1. Food

2. Environment

3. Genetics

I have seen a batch of fry all from the same mom and dad and some of the fish will grow up fast and big while others will be small. In general Orandas can get quiet big as in round and plump fish :) 

:welcome 

No one can tell you, because no research exists.  Does the 3 inch length include the tail?   Do you have any idea of the age of the fish?  If you want to anticipate ultimate size of the fish, one pound would be reasonable.

Thanks Dawn. Shakaho, he is 3-inches including the tail. Don't know about age, unfortunately. So ultimately, a total pound? Hard to imagine what that translates to in girth, height and length. I'm excited. I am also awaiting the arrival of the Panda Oranda at my local aquarium store I've placed on order. The Panda will be about the same size. For now I presume they'll be okay in the 20 gallon. Or am I all wet about that?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's fair to assume an oranda, given nutrition and room with good water quality, could have a body anywhere from 4-8 inches in length and rather plump like a football.  But as everyone else said it is very dependent on genetics and environment, both.  They're not small fish as a rule, and not small or slow growers as goldfish breeds go.

I know this is an old topic, but thanks for asking this question! I was just wondering about this too as I had some feeders for 7 yrs and the biggest was only about 4” long