Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bpanelli

White spots on new fish

Will do then.  Thank you for your advice -- really appreciate it!

On the Metro treatment - it says 1 measure per 10gal every 2 days.  Is this correct?  And no dosage adjustments due to water changes?  And does Metro treat Aerobic and Anaerobic bacterial infections.  I was under the impression the Metronidazole was more for an internal bacterial problem - but I am a novice ;-)

B

On 4/9/2017 at 8:50 PM, Bpanelli said:

Hello there...

So I just did a salt dip at 2% dilution.  The fish went on her side very quickly.  I prodded her to get her to move and she uprighted herself but pretty much went straight back on her side.  It made me a bit nervous so I only kept her in 1 full minute - and I felt like i was pushing to get to the 1 minute mark.  She's in a bucket of fresh water with air right now and I was thinking of maybe giving her a 2nd dip in about 30-45 minutes.  Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Brett

So you did a 2% dip without doing a 1% dip first. Right?  Goldfish can live in 1% salt, and most of them will last out the 5 minutes.  Then, the fish experiences less stress when you do a 2% dip the next day.  Some fish still freak out during the 2% dip, so you keep trying it daily.  If the fish can't stay upright, you take it out.  It doesn't matter whether it's a four minutes or 30 seconds.  You can try again the next day.  You don't continue daily dips for more than a week.

Hi

Yes I did a 2% dip that lasted 1 minute.  So are you saying that I should do 1% dip for as long as the fish can handle until it can be in 5 minutes - Then IF it can do 5 minutes at 1% move on to 2% assuming the dips have not lasted more than 7 days to that point?   I'm not exactly clear on this.

Also, This is the first time I've read about a salt dip for a bacterial infection treatment.  I thought salt was most effective for some parasite problems??

As I said, I'm a novice but would like to knock this thing out as it's getting worse and am now considering the Metro treatment.  Are you recommending the salt dip  because you believe it's the most effective treatment or because it's the most gentle treatment that might cure the issue, and if it doesn't, then move on to the meds?

Thank you again for input!

Brett

1 hour ago, Bpanelli said:

So are you saying that I should do 1% dip for as long as the fish can handle until it can be in 5 minutes - Then IF it can do 5 minutes at 1% move on to 2% assuming the dips have not lasted more than 7 days to that point?  Yes, I thought the link said that, but it doesn't. Sorry about that.

As I said, I'm a novice but would like to knock this thing out as it's getting worse and am now considering the Metro treatment.   If I had seen many cases like this cleared by antibiotics, I'd recommend antibiotics.  External infections occur at the site of parasite attacks and injuries that broke through the protective slime coat and the skin.  Salt dips clean the skin of failed and contaminated slime coat and allow fresh slime coat to form.  If the "zits" pop during the salt dips, you can treat the resulting woulds with an antiseptic like iodine.  All novices want to medicate. :)

Ok I'm going to prep for a 1% dip and see how she does.

Also, I noticed that the white spot on her wen shown here to the right and above her eye, is also getting red around the edges.  It's difficult to see in this photo due to the color but it seems to be getting worse as well.  The white material is more of a dense fuzz that breaks off as it keeps growing - rather than a "pimple" that pops.  Don't know if this new info might change any thoughts as to what it is exactly.  Please let me know.

Thank you!

IMG_1760_zpsslcesuqh.jpg

Can you swab it off?

Maybe yes -- not completely sure.  Do I just use a wet cotton swab and gently rub it a couple times?  I've never done it before.

I plan on doing the dip in the next 30 minutes.

Edited by Bpanelli

Ok so I did the 1% dip and she did great.  Tipped a bit here and there but kept herself upright pretty much the entire time for a full 5 minute dip.

I did not try to swab the white spots because I noticed the larger one on the wen had come off before I pulled her for the dip.  So I just let it alone.

I'll do another 1% tomorrow, then go to 2% the following day and see how she does.

Thanks!  I'll update when I have more.

White stuff in crevices in the wen usually includes mucus, dead cells,  and lots of (harmless) bacteria feasting on the debris.  This wipes off with a swab.  (For some forgotten reason, people often call this stuff "wen growth" but wens do not consist of debris.)

If a fungus grew on the wen, it wouldn't wipe off with a swab.

hi

I've been doing the 2% dips with no real improvement apparent to me.  This morning she only made it to 3.5 minutes in the dip. The last ones were 5 minutes.

New pics below.  

Fish is still acting and eating pretty normally.  Beginning to feel the dips aren't really changing things here.  Any thoughts from Sharon or Koko would be appreciated.  Please advise.  Thank you so much.

Brett

IMG_1786%20copy_zpsk0gaxype.jpg

IMG_1781%20copy_zpsfygmfvmx.jpg

IMG_1780%20copy_zpsxlpkshxm.jpg

IMG_1778%20copy_zpsyooxhdj5.jpg

I would like you to find some Silver hun... Its a natural antibiotic and won't hurt the fish nor the tank :)

If you can find it no less that 200ppm... You can find it at amazon under colloidal silver....  

I'll go ahead order "hun". ;-)

Thank you!

B

9 hours ago, Bpanelli said:

I'll go ahead order "hun". ;-)

Thank you!

B

Since he's in the tank by him self we can treat the tank and him.... :) 

How are things?