xStatic

Floaty issues on Saki Hikari

7 posts in this topic

I've had my fish on a stable diet of Repashy soilent green gel + Saki Hikari pellets for the last 1+ years but suddenly my biggest fish Suna has been having some floaty issues every time he eats Saki Hikari. My typical routine is a small amount of Repashy in the morning, a pinch of Saki Hikari mid-day and then another small amount of Repashy in the evening.

His floatation issues are pretty mild but he'll flip on his side/upside down while swimming sometimes and when he stops actively swimming he slowly makes his way back to the surface. Should I just stop feeding the tank the Saki Hikari pellets completely? I could try to isolate him during dry pellet feeding time so he only gets the gel food morning and evening. Once he gets his second helping of Repashy in the evening the floatyness usually goes away and it isn't until he gets dry pellets again the next day that the symptoms return. 

Could be the high protein. I had two fish that had floating issues. I believe it to be genitics, but I do notice that over feeding or feeding high protein will trigger it more.

I would feed foods in lower proteins, like Omega One, and feed him less frequently.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, xStatic said:

I've had my fish on a stable diet of Repashy soilent green gel + Saki Hikari pellets for the last 1+ years but suddenly my biggest fish Suna has been having some floaty issues every time he eats Saki Hikari. My typical routine is a small amount of Repashy in the morning, a pinch of Saki Hikari mid-day and then another small amount of Repashy in the evening.

His floatation issues are pretty mild but he'll flip on his side/upside down while swimming sometimes and when he stops actively swimming he slowly makes his way back to the surface. Should I just stop feeding the tank the Saki Hikari pellets completely? I could try to isolate him during dry pellet feeding time so he only gets the gel food morning and evening. Once he gets his second helping of Repashy in the evening the floatyness usually goes away and it isn't until he gets dry pellets again the next day that the symptoms return. 

If it was me I would get a shallow tub and some Duckweed. Duckweed will help with this issue. Sharon is the one that showed us about this and I really do think it helps the fish. Its a natural food for them :) 

2 hours ago, koko said:

If it was me I would get a shallow tub and some Duckweed. Duckweed will help with this issue. Sharon is the one that showed us about this and I really do think it helps the fish. Its a natural food for them :) 

I'll try to order some duckweed soon!

It's so strange though how he seems completely fine most of the time... like right now he's swimming around his tank and sifting the sand on the bottom normally, but if I were to drop in a couple of dry pellets I'm sure he'd be bobbing up and down and flipping all over the place for the next couple hours. 

49 minutes ago, xStatic said:

I'll try to order some duckweed soon!

It's so strange though how he seems completely fine most of the time... like right now he's swimming around his tank and sifting the sand on the bottom normally, but if I were to drop in a couple of dry pellets I'm sure he'd be bobbing up and down and flipping all over the place for the next couple hours. 

I wonder if he gets so excited with the food he can't control his swim bladder. In any case Duck Weed will help with that :) 

Are you soaking the pellets in some tank water before adding them to be eaten.....or just dropping in the dry pellets?

Hey Jeana, this is a bit of a zombie thread ;)

For such expensive foods it is amazing how many of us have had issues with both repashy AND saki hikari.  Between fouling the water and floatiness they're tough.  Soaking can help but it hasn't resolved all the issues here for us.  I'm not sure about the OP.