• * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7
    • KH tank 2 drops API test kit
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drops 
      • * Water temperature? 21 degrees Celsius
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 50 litres one week. its a QT tank. They are new fish. 
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? one sponge filter with a sack of cycled filtration ceramic noodles.
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? twice a week. every two days 100% 
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday 100%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 small, about 2-3 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? de chlorinator.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day. hilarious lion head and rep ashy grub pie & green mix
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? tetracycline
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. One pp dip. 45mins. 
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? two small red blemishes. slight dropsy
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

When First shipped to me (4 days ago) was bottom sitting. Every day he's much more active. 

There was a real foul smell in the shipping bag when I opened it. not sure if thats normal. 

Eating and swimming okay. A bit skittish still. 

The red spots are not too bad, its the slight dropsy that bothers me the most.

I am in Australia so meds are a little different here. I have tetracycline, tri sulfa and Metronidazole powder (about three years old no use by on bottle) and Japanese yellow powder. Happy to order anything else :)

Picture of the red patches. Really small. I have noticed one has begun to form on the under side of the peduncle now too. 

As previously stated. Its the beginning of dropsy that worries me the most :( 

IMG_5171.JPG

Ok so dropsy...Add Epsom salt to the tank...2 tsp per 10 gals of water...Then u will have to add some anti bacterial that target gram negative bacteria(u can use kanaplex) and feed it anti bacterial medicated food
All the best with dropsy it is hard to cure...I've never been able to treat it so just saying don't give up hope but be prepared for everything
Not sure about the spots..Looks like injuries to me..Maybe the goldfish scratched it self against something...Tell if u see and unusual behaviour...Don't do a 100% water change...Twice a week sounds good...Do 30%...Use a gravel vacuum​ if u have gravel to get rid of wastes stuck in there...Ur tank is over stocked...50liters(~15 gallon)..Is actually very less for even 1 goldfish..It should be like 20gal for the first and 10 gallon for each extra...So regarding this I suggest u do 75% changes 3-4 times a week... I have not heard abt the food ur feeding..Are they pellets or??...Don't treat the entire aquarium..Separate this fish into a quarantine tank

Sent from my XT1706 using Tapatalk

Those spots can be ammonia or nitrite burns

My usual dropsy routine is

Metro+Trisulfa+Oxy+Epsom salt.

1/2 Teaspoon Epsom salt per 10 gallons
Metronidazole (I'm not sure how much powder that would be, I used 2 Tablets or 2 scoops of Metroplex per 10g)
1 Tablet Trisulfa per 10g
3/4 Scoop Oxymav-B per 10g

100% WC daily and replace meds .

This is the Oxy I use
http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/OXYMB

I'm not sure on the spots, I suspect they could be part of the infection but I'd rather let one of the mods chime in on that. I also haven't used tetracycline before

Edited by FishyMandy

14 minutes ago, aditya2105 said:

Ok so dropsy...Add Epsom salt to the tank...2 tsp per 10 gals of water...Then u will have to add some anti bacterial that target gram negative bacteria(u can use kanaplex) and feed it anti bacterial medicated food
All the best with dropsy it is hard to cure...I've never been able to treat it so just saying don't give up hope but be prepared for everything
Not sure about the spots..Looks like injuries to me..Maybe the goldfish scratched it self against something...Tell if u see and unusual behaviour...Don't do a 100% water change...Twice a week sounds good...Do 30%...Use a gravel vacuum if u have gravel to get rid of wastes stuck in there...Ur tank is over stocked...50liters(~15 gallon)..Is actually very less for even 1 goldfish..It should be like 20gal for the first and 10 gallon for each extra...So regarding this I suggest u do 75% changes 3-4 times a week... I have not heard abt the food ur feeding..Are they pellets or??...Don't treat the entire aquarium..Separate this fish into a quarantine tank

Thanks for the reply :) 

I am a a little confused though.

I put in the list that I have tetracycline in the tank. Should I put Epsom salt in with that? 

Im assuming kanaplex is something outside AU? 

The red red spots only formed in the last 48 hrs. And there is not much in the tank for it to hurt itself on. It's bare with a sponge filter.

I kinda assumed that dropsy is a symptom to something... and the red marks would suggest a bacterial infection... so I did the bath and added tetracycline to the tank....  maybe I have done the wrong thing!! ?

The tank is a QT tank. The fish is new ? I'm comfortable doing 100% wc for them. I think it's better than 30% in such a small tank. 

The food must have auto corrected ??

hikari lionhead

repashy super green and grub pie (soilent green is not available here yet) that's all I've been giving this guy so far. 

My main tank is a 6ft. Hopefully the Ranchu makes it through QT and gets to meet my other fish. ❤

37 minutes ago, aditya2105 said:

Not sure about the spots..Looks like injuries to me..Maybe the goldfish scratched it self against something...Tell if u see and unusual behaviour...Don't do a 100% water change...Twice a week sounds good...Do 30%...Use a gravel vacuum if u have gravel to get rid of wastes stuck in there...Ur tank is over stocked...50liters(~15 gallon)..Is actually very less for even 1 goldfish..It should be like 20gal for the first and 10 gallon for each extra...So regarding this I suggest u do 75% changes 3-4 times a week... I have not heard abt the food ur feeding..Are they pellets or??...Don't treat the entire aquarium..Separate this fish into a quarantine tank

These fish are new fish in a Quarantine Tank. If PH out of tap and tank allow there is nothing wrong with doing 100% waterchanges, especially in a Quarantine where medications are being administered and stocking levels are higher

2 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

These fish are new fish in a Quarantine Tank. If PH out of tap and tank allow there is nothing wrong with doing 100% waterchanges, especially in a Quarantine where medications are being administered and stocking levels are higher

PH from tap is 7 and doesn't change in the 48 hrs between WC. 

Sorry I think I put the PH for my main tank in the checklist ?

Im so confused now ??

See what happens when u change 100% of the water is ur throwing away all the good denitrifying bacteria which take weeks to grow and without them the ammonia levels will go through the roof...Get rid of that medicine by doing 50% water changes over 3-4 days and then start with the meds I said...Those marks could​ be ammonia or nitrite burns that have accumulated due to these reasons..Doing 100% water changes won't overlook the fact that u have a small tank...No offence here..Just want to help u get the best for your fish...feed ur goldfish a varied diet to keep them healthy...Include boiled peas, carrots,freeze-dried blood worms along with what ur feeding...Helps build their immune system and keeps them healthy...Since this is a new fish I can't blame Ur tank for the dropsy but in a tank of that size these problems will be common

Add some big air stones​ to ur tank..All this salt and medicines will decrease the oxygen holding capacity

Actually most of the good bacteria lives in the filter media, not in the water column so doing a 100% waterchanges wont get rid of most of that bacteria in an aquarium with a cycled filter, and in a Quarantine tank 100% waterchanges are recommended to keep everything as clean as possible, especially with medications been administered.

Wait..U do 100% change for the QT tank or main tank?

9 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

My usual dropsy routine is

Metro+Trisulfa+Oxy+Epsom salt.

Metronidazole (I'm not sure how much powder that would be, I used 2 Tablets or 2 scoops of Metroplex per 10g)
3/4 Scoop Oxymav-B per 10g

This is the Oxy I use

I'm not sure on the spots, I suspect they could be part of the infection but I'd rather let one of the mods chime in on that.

Thanks for that link ❤ I've been looking for the oxy version! 

So you mix the metroplex, trisulfa, oxytetracycline and Epsom into the tank water all ant once? 

Just now, LouiseAnn said:

Thanks for that link ❤ I've been looking for the oxy version! 

So you mix the metroplex, trisulfa, oxytetracycline and Epsom into the tank water all ant once? 

Yep :)  I've had two success stories but it is pretty hard to treat.

I agree on that in a Qt tank 100% changes at important...But for my main tank this is what I have been doing and my fish are healthy so passed on this info

8 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

Yep :)  I've had two success stories but it is pretty hard to treat.

I'm going to check out the metro I have... I think it's a bit old even though it has no use by printed on it. 

But do you think it would be okay to add the Epsom and trisulfa to the tetracycline anyway? 

I would love love to try kanaplex but I don't think I can get it here ?

I've successfully ordered both Metroplex and Kanaplex from here:https://www.vitamingrocer.com.au/

It does take a few weeks to come in though

I'd add the epsom but I haven't had experience with the tetracycline so my knowledge there is limited so I think I'd wait for someone else to advise on there. 
I personally don't like using Kanaplex once I see pineconing, I've found it too harsh

Okay. I might wait too.

im going to order those meds anyway. Think they are good to just have!! Thank you

You're welcome. Good luck. 

Can you post a top view picture that shows the pineconing?  

I'm sorry for all the confusion, LouiseAnn, but Fishy Mandy belongs to the mod team and has given you the treatment we recommend.  

Follow Mandy's instructions:  Metro lasts a long time, and even if it has lost some of its potency, it won't harm the fish to use the old stuff until the new arrives.

(3/4 Scoop Oxymav-B per 10g when you get it)

This is the Oxy I use

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

1 hour ago, DawnMichele said:

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

Thank you ? 

You can't really see the dropsy from the top in a photo yet. (Thank goodness) 

hope this photo is okay. 

IMG_5224.PNG

Please confirm:

I have tetracycline, Trisulfa, metro powder and Epsom salts. Can I use all these together according to the dosage on there packet/bottle? 

Ill post photos of them ?

I'm just checking about the Tetracycline :)

Tetracycline :) 

IMG_5232.JPG