Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Karen Cormier-Binning

Usual fish

55 posts in this topic

I'm looking forward to further growth to see more detail. It's small now. Very young and hard to photograph as it's a pond. I will take measures to protect the fish against predators as I would love to see offspring..

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Pretty little guy!

The tail might resemble this one.

I have a sarasa (red and white) comet that came from the "feeder" tank at Petsmart.  She was the smallest fish in the tank with the longest tail.  She grew into an adult with an average sized body and a tail longer than her body length.  

You see her in the front-center here

IMG_1948.jpg

and in the back here:

IMG_1917.jpg

Tell us more about your pond.  (With pictures please)  How big is it and how do you filter it?

Edited by shakaho

I've got a pretty good bio filter o bought years back and keeps the water well. The pond is a preform. Not ideal as I would love a large pond! But it satisfies my need for fish.

Wow an Otter :o

Hopefully these guys stay safe!

Edited by FishyMandy

I've got a plexiglass cover I used to use before...I guess I will cut out my telescope Aquarium and set it back on. Critter proof

I have a concern about gas exchange with a plexiglass cover that fits over the pond.  

Welcome to Kokos and beautiufl Goldfish!!!!

I have a concern about gas exchange with a plexiglass cover that fits over the pond.  

I've used it before. It has a large hole in the middle that I covered with a steel grate that allows the waterfall to come up and splash over the water. Also I don't put it right against the edge I like to have an opening...So it's no where near air tight. I have otters, racoon, heron and bald eagles.

Welcome to Kokos and beautiufl Goldfish!!!!

Thank you so much! I should have joined a forum years ago.

1 hour ago, Karen Cormier-Binning said:

I've used it before. It has a large hole in the middle that I covered with a steel grate that allows the waterfall to come up and splash over the water. Also I don't put it right against the edge I like to have an opening...So it's no where near air tight. I have otters, racoon, heron and bald eagles.

Excellent!

8f55482ca15bb0b9ae1fc589b9f9615d.jpg
The plexiglass installed with a telescope Aquarium for them to look around. They are safe from predators. Why did I ever take it off??

WOW that is cool... That is how I want to do mine : ) 

I got the plexiglass from a local rink. They replace them when there's scratches. Perfect for me. I cut it with a grinder. A bit tedious but so worth it. Remember if u do go ahead that predators don't need much space to get in. You do need proper air flow but limit the space size...I placed a metal grate over the round hole for the water feature. I didn't have one before and an otter went through it.

GORGEOUS!!!!! 

I would have suggested a metal grid over open areas, but you were ahead of me. :)

awesome set-up!  You've got quite the predator list.  The new guy is SUPER cute! 

Nice setup!

The otter came back and pushed my Aquarium ( no easy feat and it's held with suction) and squeezed through the gap of maybe 2.5 inches. I lost my beauties. I've got a live e trap I've caught raccoons with before. I gotta catch him. Ideas?

Dang, I'm sorry hun. I lost mine 2 years ago outside to raccoons, my empty pond still sitting outside  :(

It's been twice in two weeks. In the last 10 or so..It's been maybe 10 times. This otter knows my pond..Is determined. I'm determined not to stop my fish keeping. It's all out war.

22 minutes ago, Karen Cormier-Binning said:

It's been twice in two weeks. In the last 10 or so..It's been maybe 10 times. This otter knows my pond..Is determined. I'm determined not to stop my fish keeping. It's all out war.

You can beat it hun.... :madrant