xStatic

Help me choose a canister filter? :)

19 posts in this topic

I think I'm ready to move up from my two HOB on my 60 gallon to a canister filter. I know the SunSun filter's are pretty popular and affordable but I was wondering if others with more experience with canister filters would be able to chime in and give recommendations.

The tank is 60 gallons with 3 fancy goldfish and a little baby single tail from the carnival I plan on eventually moving to another tank. It's been up and running for about a year now and I'm quite happy with the whole setup but the HOB can be a little bit noisy and the surface agitation seems to really speed up evaporation in my dry climate so I would like to eliminate some of that. I have a sand substrate and everything in the tank is "blacked out" (sand, background, stand, etc.) so I prefer any visible portions of the filter to be black as well. 

When I had my bigger tank I always used the Ehiem Pro filters. I like the ease of them and they are really good filters. 

But there hoses are green, Im sure you can buy some that are black in a Home Depo store of some kind. 

7 minutes ago, koko said:

When I had my bigger tank I always used the Ehiem Pro filters. I like the ease of them and they are really good filters. 

But there hoses are green, Im sure you can buy some that are black in a Home Depo store of some kind. 

I will look into the Ehiem filters! Green hoses aren't a huge deal, just didn't want something neon blue or white inside the tank :)

Edited by xStatic

4 minutes ago, xStatic said:

I will look into the Ehiem filters! Green hoses aren't a huge deal, just didn't want something neon blue or white inside the tank :)

I feel you pain there. I need to put up a background on mine. :o

I like the pro over the normal kinds :) 

hey, you might also want to consider adding an auto top off..  thats one way to help with evaporation.. even though it doesn't actually change the amount of water being evaporated.  It just keeps the water in the tank at a consistent level, so you'll still need to fill up the reservoir often.  I followed Joeys DIY auto top off youtube video to make mine.. but there are ready made ones that work well.  

as for canister filters, Im a newb and have only used one but I got a hydor canister filter and its worked out pretty well for my tank.  they make some nice aquarium gear anyway.

good luck with your setup! :) 

You can't go wrong with the sun sun!!........The tubes are green but  all the fittings that go in the tank are black!!!!

I had a SunSun and its flow rate was appalling. It held up for a couple of years, though.

I have a Fluval 306 now and I love it.

Edited by hannah

Thanks everyone... I looked more into the Sunsun and the gph people typically get from them when full of media doesn't seem very good to me. The more expensive models from Fluval and Eheim look really nice but now I'm wondering if it'll be worth it to spend that much money just to replace my HOB filters which are still doing a pretty good job. 

If you are patient then you can hunt craigslist, facebook classifieds, local facebook groups, offer up or letgo ads for used canisters. Petsmart had the FX6 on sale during thanksgiving 2016, maybe they'll have another go this year.

Fluval canisters are expensive but they (IMHO) are worth it.

Edited by muffluvin

I am running a canister (Eheim pro 3e) and an HOB (aquaclear 110) on my 75g tank. I think I'll always run both types. I like the immediate accessibility, the water trickle sound and the ability to stick plants into the HOB. The canister is quiet and the amount of media it holds gives me peace of mind when it comes to holding my cycle stable. I am a newbie, so it took some practice to learn how to do maintenance on the canister, but now that I have it figured out, it's really easy.

9 hours ago, CaseyE said:

I am running a canister (Eheim pro 3e) and an HOB (aquaclear 110) on my 75g tank. I think I'll always run both types. I like the immediate accessibility, the water trickle sound and the ability to stick plants into the HOB. The canister is quiet and the amount of media it holds gives me peace of mind when it comes to holding my cycle stable. I am a newbie, so it took some practice to learn how to do maintenance on the canister, but now that I have it figured out, it's really easy.

Thats how I did my 80 gallon tank back in the days :) 

I have two sunsuns hooked up with two sand filters and the lower flow rate has actually been a bonus there, since it doesn't blow out the sand.  I've been very happy with them but truthfully if I was doing it over again I'd just run sand filters and sponge filters, no canisters at all.

Thats how I did my 80 gallon tank back in the days  

Curious about what you're currently running & why you prefer it to your old way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, CaseyE said:

Curious about what you're currently running & why you prefer it to your old way? emoji846.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well hun I don't have that 80 gallon tank anymore. When I moved from CA to OR I couldn't afford to move it safely so I sold it. I did take a 45 gallon tank with me and after I set it up about a week later it cracked down the middle of the front piece of glass :o So then I had a 50 gallon tank, then a pond and now a 36 gallon bow front tank. Not the best of tanks but it is what I have now. 

So long story short I don't need a canister now. But when I had my 80 it was perfect for it. Now I just have a AC 70 with a sponge filter in there :) 

My current setup has an Aquaclear 70 and a Marineland Emperor 400 each with huge pre-filter sponges placed on the intakes. I've had the marineland filter from day 1 and although I know some people don't like them I have had pretty good luck with mine and the bio wheels still turn reliably a year and a half later. The AC 70 of course is great for holding a bunch of media but honestly I've had more issues with the AC impeller suddenly stopping or making a lot of random noise in the past. 

I might start setting some funds aside to save up for a nice expensive canister that I know will last a long time. I'm sure eventually the HOBs will fail and I would like a filter I could potentially still use on any tank upgrades I have in the future. 

1 hour ago, xStatic said:

My current setup has an Aquaclear 70 and a Marineland Emperor 400 each with huge pre-filter sponges placed on the intakes. I've had the marineland filter from day 1 and although I know some people don't like them I have had pretty good luck with mine and the bio wheels still turn reliably a year and a half later. The AC 70 of course is great for holding a bunch of media but honestly I've had more issues with the AC impeller suddenly stopping or making a lot of random noise in the past. 

I might start setting some funds aside to save up for a nice expensive canister that I know will last a long time. I'm sure eventually the HOBs will fail and I would like a filter I could potentially still use on any tank upgrades I have in the future. 

yeah Im not much of the Emperor's I have two of them in a bag because they just make the worst noise in my house. :o I know some ppl have had issues with the AC 's too :( Yeah I would save and and get the a good one. I would like to say don't get one with the UV on it, as that  is just another piece that would have issues later :( 

I just started a 100g tank a couple of days ago which is cycling.  I have the same set-up of black background, stand and substrate, so getting a filter with black tubing was a must.  Tougher than it sounds!

I went with two Eheim pro 4+ 600s which is the line of Eheim canisters that is black with black intakes and spray bar.  A bit pricier than other options, but I didn't have to replace the tubing, the filter media is included, they are super quiet and you get the Eheim quality.  So far so good with them, but I'm very early in the cycling process.

I have 2 Fluval 405's and a SunSun HW-303B. I find them both to be fairly equal in terms of performance so far. Have t bothered turning on the UV in the SunSun. Haven't noticed any flow rate problems in the SunSun but one of the Fluvals is really slowing down. It is much older though. The SunSun has ugly green tubes that are more customizable with different discharge attachments and even a skimmer option. The Fluval are a nicer gray tube but way less discharge options. I'd say the SunSun is a better deal considering it's one 1/3 the price. I know if the Fluvals die I will buy more SunSuns, unless I find this SunSun to be unreliable. I have only had it about 6 months. It has a lot of room for media. It's also important to remember that the actual flow rate is not the only important factor in a filter. Just as important is how much media does it hold. The media is what does the actual filtering. Also, too high of a flow rate does not allow for a fine mechanical filtration. High flow causes more debris to be blasted through the filter pads. Aquaclear even states that for fine filtration, turn the flow rate down.

I have a marineland c220 Jose’s are black plumbing is black super easy to prime they are on sale at petsmart online the bigger 360 I think it is called is on sale also mine is super quiet and is rated for up to a 55 gallon tank but gph is something like 225 so I’m running two filters now n when I upgrade to a 55 I have a Sunsun 303b to add to the mix but I think you would be happy with the marineland canister