labecs

Brown algae all of a sudden

12 posts in this topic

Hi, guys, long time no see.... which I guess is good news because it means my babies have been healthy and thriving for months, however, now I have a concern...I have a 45 gallon, 3 fish, largest is about 2 inches long, I feed them once  a day a variety of foods, I make wc every week, 90%, Prime, no problems with water quality, but for the past couple of months, there is a lot more brown algae growing on my decorations (glass), plastic plans and I have to constantly clean the glass. What can cause this? It's not excessive, but it's a lot more than I have ever had, and they are eating it up!  They are constantly nibbling at it, and I want to know if that is okay. They are definitely pooping up a storm!  I pick up tons of poop every day (I have an Eheim hand  vaccuum that I love!)... sometimes it seems excessive, considering I feed them a pellet or two each every day.  I'm wondering if the brown algae could have something to do with having the heater on inside the apt more than usual.

Excessive lighting could be a factor. Do you have lights for this aquarium? If yes, how long do you keep it lighted? Is the tank near a window? Algae thrives in direct sunlight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yeah, I changed the lighting when my old ballast burned out. The one I have now is brighter.  Mmm... I guess that's it. The important thing is, is it okay for them to eat it?

Yes.  One study of the gut contents of feral goldfish showed diatoms as a major food.  Natural foods are good for your fish.

2 hours ago, labecs said:

Hi, guys, long time no see.... which I guess is good news because it means my babies have been healthy and thriving for months, however, now I have a concern...I have a 45 gallon, 3 fish, largest is about 2 inches long, I feed them once  a day a variety of foods, I make wc every week, 90%, Prime, no problems with water quality, but for the past couple of months, there is a lot more brown algae growing on my decorations (glass), plastic plans and I have to constantly clean the glass. What can cause this? It's not excessive, but it's a lot more than I have ever had, and they are eating it up!  They are constantly nibbling at it, and I want to know if that is okay. They are definitely pooping up a storm!  I pick up tons of poop every day (I have an Eheim hand  vaccuum that I love!)... sometimes it seems excessive, considering I feed them a pellet or two each every day.  I'm wondering if the brown algae could have something to do with having the heater on inside the apt more than usual.

With all the Rain and snow around in the North West I bert your water out of the tap has change recently. My tank has gotten a lot of brown algae to it to. Also since the sun is now more in the northwest its going to get more too. Do you have a window close to this tank? 

Yes, Koko, rain and snow have been crazy this winter, and I do have a window next to the tank, but it only receives indirect sunlight. I think it might be a combination of the changes in the water and the brighter light. The algae is not bothersome, and I clean at least the glass and the decorations every time I change the water, and if it's healthy for them to eat it, I don't mind. They are entertained all day long just nibbling, and that makes me happy.   Thank you, as always, I love hearing your input!!

♥Rebeca

Nice to see you Rebeca.

5 hours ago, labecs said:

Yes, Koko, rain and snow have been crazy this winter, and I do have a window next to the tank, but it only receives indirect sunlight. I think it might be a combination of the changes in the water and the brighter light. The algae is not bothersome, and I clean at least the glass and the decorations every time I change the water, and if it's healthy for them to eat it, I don't mind. They are entertained all day long just nibbling, and that makes me happy.   Thank you, as always, I love hearing your input!!

♥Rebeca

Mine just started to go crazy... I got a window that indirect to on the tank and with in a week the bottom of the tank was covered :lol 

Hello, again.... update about the algae. Now what I thought was brown algae, is bright green algae... it actually looks healthy!  It's growing on the glass ornaments and the walls and the plastic plants, and you can actually see it swishing about with the current, and of course, the guys are having a ball foraging all day and eating it. (They are pooping green stuff like maniacs) Do you think it's a good idea to just let it keep growing for them to eat, and just add a couple of high nutrition pellets for each every day?  Can that be a staple of their diet?  

I would leave it.... I got some brown and green going on and Im just letting them munch on it. I have even gone to just one feeding a day so they can graze on the algae :) 

Fantastic  :)  I'm even starting to like the look. Lol!   Thanks, Koko!

3 hours ago, labecs said:

Fantastic  :)  I'm even starting to like the look. Lol!   Thanks, Koko!

Its fun to watch it grow :)