Paigehx

New tank size

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

i have only recently became a goldfish owner and haven't owned any since being very young so I'm very new to this and have made a few mistakes so far. I was given 2 fantail goldfish by a friend who could no longer care for them a few weeks ago now. As it kind of got Sprung onto me I didn't know anything about them when I first got them but started researching immediately. I know that the tank they are in is far too small, it's only 25l which isn't even 10 gallons. The fish are about 2 or maybe 3 inches in length at the moment but were no bigger than an inch when I first got them. They have grown a lot and very quickly. i have been doing a water change every 2 days of around 30% as they don't have a filter at the moment and they seem to be doing ok but I'm saving up to get them a better tank.

While researching I came across a lot of people using large containers as indoor pond like set ups and have read that a more shallow setup with a larger surface area is better for gold fish which makes sense as mine rarely swim to the top of their tank. The only think is though that i can't find a shallower container of the correct size recommeded for 2 goldfish at 30 gallons at least. The ones I have found have only been 10 or maybe 15 gallons but have a lot more surface area and space for the fish to swim around the bottom. 

If I only had to pay £20 for a container it would mean that I have more money to get a good filter and new substrate for my fish. I am also contemplating whether to place in some live plants. My only issue is that it works out at much lower than the minimum recommended size, I'm unsure if this will matter a great deal if they actually have more surface space to swim in? 

Thank you for any advice you can give and apologies for such a long post :thumbup2:

Welcome to Kokos!!!

You can stock your fish tank by volume or by surface area.  Using the latter,  you can stock one goldfish per 2 to 2.5 square ft of surface area.  So this container which holds 15 gallons of water, has 4.7 ftof surface area, making it large enough for 2 goldfish.   This one holds 85l and has 4.9 square feet.  If you scroll down on that link you see a 70 liter rectangular box similar to the one in this video.  

Thank you so much that's a huge help! I've found an 80l one near me so I think ill go with that one for now and save up for an aquarium for them in the future.