Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sildew

New Carnival Goldie Owner

Hello,

I am a new goldie owner and a new member to this site. I found out goldies are needy little buggers after already having won one at my local fair. I didn't expect to need such a large tank, but I want him to live a happy life, so I'll deal. I currently have him set up in a small 10-gallon, and I am waiting on the petco dollar per gallon sale to upgrade to a larger tank. My apartment has limits on tank sizes (I believe it is 35 gallons). My question is, will he be happy and healthy in a 25-30 gallon tank for the next few years? Once we are in a more fish-friendly living space, I may upgrade to a large tank (55 gallon) or to a pond, but that may be a few years as we do not plan on moving soon. Any advice would help :)

1 hour ago, Sildew said:

Hello,

I am a new goldie owner and a new member to this site. I found out goldies are needy little buggers after already having won one at my local fair. I didn't expect to need such a large tank, but I want him to live a happy life, so I'll deal. I currently have him set up in a small 10-gallon, and I am waiting on the petco dollar per gallon sale to upgrade to a larger tank. My apartment has limits on tank sizes (I believe it is 35 gallons). My question is, will he be happy and healthy in a 25-30 gallon tank for the next few years? Once we are in a more fish-friendly living space, I may upgrade to a large tank (55 gallon) or to a pond, but that may be a few years as we do not plan on moving soon. Any advice would help :)

A 20 gallon tank would do just fine. :) The longer the tank the better they do :)

:welcome

https://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121320-kokos-goldfish-forum-guidelines-for-healthy-goldfish/

If the limit is actually 35 gallons, You should get a 20 long, which can be his home for at least a couple of years, and the same is true for a 29.  If the limit can go up to 40 gallons, get a 40B which can become a "forever home" for him and a friend. 

Depending on your space you might also consider a shallow storage container like this. One can look at stocking levels for goldfish by either volume or surface area.  The large surface area makes this one adequate for two goldfish.  I like this one, because it has clear walls that allows you to see the fish from the side.  It can also hold two fish. 

Edited by shakaho

Welcome to Kokos!!! Nice to se someone else from from Sarasota!!!  :redbanana:

1 hour ago, DawnMichele said:

I meant to say nice to see someone else from Sarasota.

hello and welcome! 

My story to goldfish keeping is very similar to yours.  The the first fish I got was from the county fair.  I kept him in a 20 gallon tall tank (not ideal I know) for a little while before  upgrading to a larger tank and adding a few tank mates..   Craigslist is great for finding cheap used tanks btw.    

goodluck and I hope your enjoy new hobby.  its a lot of fun.  :) 

Edited by Goldfishbeginner

Welcome!! We are happy to have ya. :D Lots of great advice here. General rule of thumb is 20 gallons for the first fish, 10 gallons each additional. 

13 hours ago, shelbysfish said:

Welcome!! We are happy to have ya. :D Lots of great advice here. General rule of thumb is 20 gallons for the first fish, 10 gallons each additional. 

You certainly can differ with the information in our guidelines, but if you do, please make it clear that you are giving your opinion, not that of the forum. :)

Edited by shakaho

Welcome! The single tail carnival goldfish can be beautiful, and live really long happy lives!! Good on you for wanting to care for him/her properly!
Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone for their warm welcomes and the helpful advice! I will definitely start seeking out long tanks, then. 

22 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

Nice to see someone local, too! Thanks for the welcome :)

:hi and welcome.