Kokos Goldfish Forum
mcpesq817

BN plecos or snails in acrylic tanks?

My 100 gallon tank finally comes this week!  Post-cycle, I've been thinking about suitable tank mates, including BN plecos and snails.  Has anyone added these to acrylic tanks?  I've read some things about these guys making tiny scratches on acrylic tanks which over time really add up.  As much as I'd love to add them, I'm a bit worried about taking a chance as the tank wasn't cheap.  On the positive side, not adding them lets me add another goldfish. Thanks in advance!

Well that can scrape the glass with there teeth if they don't have something to work on. They like wood in there tanks so they can hide and also nibble on it. Give them a lot of veggies too and that would help. 

But don't they try to clean the tank panes?  Seems like even with other food sources, there could be a problem.  Anyone here own an acrylic tank with plecos and/or snails?  I just want to make sure that it's not the fact that folks had other types of fish besides goldfish which were causing the scratching, besides the fact that they had a pleco or snail in the tank.

So I ended up getting an albino bristlenose.  No problems for the last year and a half, then all of a sudden, I think she started attacking my goldfish.  I found one ranchu with what looked like a big cut on the belly that died a few days later.  I thought maybe the fish had cut itself somehow, but a couple of weeks later found another ranchu with what looked like a similar, but thankfully smaller cut. And, about a quarter of the tail fin of a decent sized black Oranda looked like it had been chewed off similar to the marks I’ve seen on plants where they pleco attached herself.  The goldfish also seemed to be a little traumatized, sticking to the corners of the tank.

Needless to say, even though I never caught the pleco in the act, she is gone from the tank.  Was a shame, she was a good 3.5” and had been a fine tank mate for the last year and a half.  The goldfish look like they are back to their normal swimming patterns too, maybe realizing the pleco is gone.

So, I definitely wouldn’t recommend even some of the more docile plecos in a tank with goldfish.  Frankly, I’m not sure she did much when it came to algae.

16 hours ago, mcpesq817 said:

So I ended up getting an albino bristlenose.  No problems for the last year and a half, then all of a sudden, I think she started attacking my goldfish.  I found one ranchu with what looked like a big cut on the belly that died a few days later.  I thought maybe the fish had cut itself somehow, but a couple of weeks later found another ranchu with what looked like a similar, but thankfully smaller cut. And, about a quarter of the tail fin of a decent sized black Oranda looked like it had been chewed off similar to the marks I’ve seen on plants where they pleco attached herself.  The goldfish also seemed to be a little traumatized, sticking to the corners of the tank.

Needless to say, even though I never caught the pleco in the act, she is gone from the tank.  Was a shame, she was a good 3.5” and had been a fine tank mate for the last year and a half.  The goldfish look like they are back to their normal swimming patterns too, maybe realizing the pleco is gone.

So, I definitely wouldn’t recommend even some of the more docile plecos in a tank with goldfish.  Frankly, I’m not sure she did much when it came to algae.

Man Im sorry to hear this. This happened to me once years and years ago. I found that some of them if they dont have enough food or wood in there tank will start to get hungry for Goldfish slim coats. You won't generally see this in action as Plecos are nocturnal fish. 

Im glad you figured it out a lot of times people dont figure it  out and the fish will be eaten to death.

I agree with you in that goldfish should be goldfish. :) 

Welcome back by the way :) Dont forget about the raffle going on :) 

Thanks very much!  I had plenty of algae in the tank, along with wood to rasp on.  I think the pleco just found the goldfish to be a tasty snack :(

I had to unfortunately also euthanize a lionhead that had severe swim bladder issues last week.  Poor guy would just float upside down unless he was constantly moving, and eventually decided to park himself in plants to keep him from floating upside down.  I was hoping maybe he would grow out of that, as he would seem to get better at times and start swimming a little more normally for small stretches, but after six months of dealing with it, he spent his last week not moving at all in the plants even with food around.  I thought at that point it was just best to euthanize the poor guy.

I just noticed that our veiltail seems to have what seems to be a bit of pine coning tonight.  Ugh!  It's been a rough few weeks.  The fancies generally seem to be having issues with constipation, etc.  I went to feeding from 3x a day to 1x a day, even fasting, and starting Repashy Super Gold.  It's a bit frustrating as I had no issues, but then the fish started getting to a certain size and having issues.  I've been feeding good food - Hikari Lionhead and Omega One, along with bloodworms, brine shrimp, seaweed, and Repashy - but seems like they still get constipated, swim bladder, etc.

The two fantails are in perfect health, as well as the short finned oranda and yellow capped white oranda.  Makes me wonder if I should spend they money and go for fish from Dandy Orandas or ECR.  I'm guessing they have better quality fish than my local Petsmart, where I got most of the fish.  The lionhead and ranchus came from buygoldfish.com.    

It is always possible it may not have been a real BN Pleco.

Not all fish act the same though, so it is always a chance unfortunately.  Maybe a female BN Pleco will be gentler.  Mine was anyways.

Just so you know, a regular BN pleco can live 30+ years, but an albino one might be only half.

I had snails in my tank too...MTS and another kind that didnt reproduce, but laid these ugly eggs everywhere that would never hatch...

Just so you know, regular goldfish have less health issues then fancy ones, and live longer, in general.  In the fancy kind, my fantail ones were doing better then the other kind.  That said, cant mix fancy and regular.  I wish i had done regular... yes, it means less fish in the tank, but, less heart pain losing them too.  Another thing i would like to do next time is to provide RO / filtered water instead of tap water, and did more of the do your own veggie food most of the week, with 1 to 2 days with meat / krill, 1 day fast.

I’m fairly certain it was a bristlenose.  Only one half of the Oranda’s tail was chewed so I am assuming the pleco did it 😧

My water from the tap seems to have high nitrates.  I’d probably go with RO water too though I don’t have a way of filling my 100g tank with it on a regular basis.

On 3/2/2019 at 5:35 PM, mcpesq817 said:

Thanks very much!  I had plenty of algae in the tank, along with wood to rasp on.  I think the pleco just found the goldfish to be a tasty snack :(

I had to unfortunately also euthanize a lionhead that had severe swim bladder issues last week.  Poor guy would just float upside down unless he was constantly moving, and eventually decided to park himself in plants to keep him from floating upside down.  I was hoping maybe he would grow out of that, as he would seem to get better at times and start swimming a little more normally for small stretches, but after six months of dealing with it, he spent his last week not moving at all in the plants even with food around.  I thought at that point it was just best to euthanize the poor guy.

I just noticed that our veiltail seems to have what seems to be a bit of pine coning tonight.  Ugh!  It's been a rough few weeks.  The fancies generally seem to be having issues with constipation, etc.  I went to feeding from 3x a day to 1x a day, even fasting, and starting Repashy Super Gold.  It's a bit frustrating as I had no issues, but then the fish started getting to a certain size and having issues.  I've been feeding good food - Hikari Lionhead and Omega One, along with bloodworms, brine shrimp, seaweed, and Repashy - but seems like they still get constipated, swim bladder, etc.

The two fantails are in perfect health, as well as the short finned oranda and yellow capped white oranda.  Makes me wonder if I should spend they money and go for fish from Dandy Orandas or ECR.  I'm guessing they have better quality fish than my local Petsmart, where I got most of the fish.  The lionhead and ranchus came from buygoldfish.com.    

If you want you can start a thread in the D&D section and we can take a look at what might be causing all of this. Im thinking something is linked as the first fish had SB disorder and then one with Dropys. Sounds like it could be bacterial. 

Thanks for the offer.  I ended up increasing my water changes from once to twice a week.  I also am doing a more thorough agitation of the sand, as I noticed air bubbles that would exit. 

My new fish are doing well.  The fantails are still staying strong.  I have a blue Oranda that seems to be doing better, but I think whatever it was that affected him might have caused some long term damage perhaps.

This episode has been a disappointing.  Had no issues with the tank for almost two years, then suddenly lose a bunch of fish.  I feel like I have been doing everything right with the water changes, extra filtration, good food, etc.  

If i have another episode, I might switch to cichlids.  My dad has a cichlid tank with clown loaches and Chinese algae eaters where he does maybe a 25% water change every 2-3 weeks, and he has no issues at all.  Water parameters are perfect, no diseases, no algae.  And they will have babies that replenish the tank.  They just seem hardier than goldfish and a lot less maintenance.  A shame, because I always loved goldfish.  They have a lot more personality than other types of fish.