Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waya

new tank :)

So I'm very happy my BF and I just happened to stumble on to a nice cheap tank i couldn't pass up, I believe it to be 78 gallon tank. It has odd measurements 42"l x 18"w x 24h" as much as I look I can't find one tank online that's 42" long. I would have liked if it was a little longer and not as tall but I still think a few goldfish are going to like their new home. It needs a good cleaning 1st tho very dirty.

Going to try it as a 2nd planted goldfish tank I think however I am a little worried about how deep it is.

Sadly can't get a picture of it as its in the car and I can't move it by myself. Going to be some time before I can get it set up sadly :cry:(. I 1st have to get everything, wait for good weather and build a stand.Then to stain it. O I'm so so impatient. :wall

15 hours ago, waya said:

So I'm very happy my BF and I just happened to stumble on to a nice cheap tank i couldn't pass up, I believe it to be 78 gallon tank. It has odd measurements 42"l x 18"w x 24h" as much as I look I can't find one tank online that's 42" long. I would have liked if it was a little longer and not as tall but I still think a few goldfish are going to like their new home. It needs a good cleaning 1st tho very dirty.

Going to try it as a 2nd planted goldfish tank I think however I am a little worried about how deep it is.

Sadly can't get a picture of it as its in the car and I can't move it by myself. Going to be some time before I can get it set up sadly :cry:(. I 1st have to get everything, wait for good weather and build a stand.Then to stain it. O I'm so so impatient. :wall

Now that is an interesting size for a tank... I would love to see this tank hun. :)  24 " high isn't  a problem hun. You could get some really nice lights for it, I just wonder about the Length of it. Seems Odd :) 

8 hours ago, koko said:

Now that is an interesting size for a tank... I would love to see this tank hun. :)  24 " high isn't  a problem hun. You could get some really nice lights for it, I just wonder about the Length of it. Seems Odd :) 

Yea very odd I tried for a few hours to see if I could find a tank 42 long and couldn't. Best I could come up with is its a custom tank but it has the normal rim so maybe just that old of a tank??? IDK if they ever made them that side tho so...

Anyway bad pictures, but here is a few pic of it. I did a little wiping out of old gravel and stuff on the bottom of the tank but still need to clean it later. The black side(side seen in pictures) seems to have a few scratches on it. The bottom is VERY scratched up but there all light scratches and I'm going to have sand over them.

20170325_180216.jpg

20170325_180249.jpg

20170325_180338.jpg

20170325_180405.jpg

Congratulations on your new tank!!!!

That really is an interesting tank size!

Im wondering if it was a custom tank? 

I'm thinking it likely could have been a custom!

Thank you

Your guess is as good as mine. I didn't know you can get rims for custom tanks thought that doesn't mean you cant. I can say that the glass edges feel like any of my other tanks and the glass is a lot thicker, 3/4th inch. I can say it also is a good thing I make my own stands and lids as I'm sure that would be hard to find lol.

So here's 1 more pic of the glass. I started at 1 inch so I could see the lines better.

20170326_030432.jpg

I think you'd be able to get what you wanted on a custom tank, depending on the builder maybe? 

It's a really neat tank though

You maybe right. My BF said it wouldn't be hard for anywhere that works with plastic to make a mold and rim to that tank. All the custom tanks I've seen didn't have trim on them but that doesn't mean anything. I do find it interesting that it seems to be the most likely Idea for this tank.

All I really know about it is that it was a good find for a good price and I just couldn't leave it. Also I was told it holds water yet to conform it thought. Biggest tank I have my others are 40g breeders, totes and a 55g.

Going to hopefully make the stand to hold a 40g breeder on bottom but that may make the tank sit to high so maybe a 30g breeder. Still planning it all out. I know its going to be at least 22inchs tall maybe 28inchs. I'm trying to make sure I plan the tank so that it would work in different scenarios as I plan on having to move it with in a years time. Hope a few of my goldfish will be happy in it when I finely get it set up.

I think you might have a turtle tank, and some of them are 42" long.  I have one that holds 30 gallons, and the thick glass makes it so heavy I can't carry it empty.  

The tank is deeper than ideal, but you don't have to fill it.  18x18x42  still gives you ~60 gallons.  

I think you might have a turtle tank, and some of them are 42" long.  I have one that holds 30 gallons, and the thick glass makes it so heavy I can't carry it empty. 

i was just thinking as you typed it... and I was looking on Google... a Reptile tank :) They are the only ones that make them taller so the the frogs or Reptiles can be out and in of the water :) 

cool find,I look forward to how you end up setting it up :)

7 hours ago, shakaho said:

The tank is deeper than ideal, but you don't have to fill it.  18x18x42  still gives you ~60 gallons.  

Interesting thank you for letting us (me and everyone reading this) that were curious know what the tank is. And you're right its very heavy about 260lb empty. When it's sat down it's in place and doesn't want to move lol.

7 hours ago, koko said:

i was just thinking as you typed it... and I was looking on Google... a Reptile tank :) They are the only ones that make them taller so the the frogs or Reptiles can be out and in of the water :) 

I never realized they made turtle tanks I just fingered that people used to normal fish tank with a add on top part. I know they make them for hamsters and rats a cage you can sit on top for them to be in a wire cage and the glass cage as a bedding area. I've seen stuff like that and diy stuff like it for normal fish tanks. I know they make the sliding glass door reptile tanks have a few for snakes and box (land) turtles. 

7 hours ago, shellbell4ever said:

cool find,I look forward to how you end up setting it up :)

Me to lol. Sadly I have to save up some money to buy everything I'm going to need for it. looking at $30-40 in wood for the stand, around $60 for the filter items. Lighting I'll just get to at some point after having it set up and hoping the stain I have from my other stands is still good. As normal the price of the items for the tank over double the tank it's self lol. Also have no place inside to do so, so the weather outside has to accommodate the build, sand and stand. Meaning I need at least 3 (more like 5) good warmer days with no rain. I so so want to do so atm but with the rain were having and lack of needed parts I can't. 

21 hours ago, shelbysfish said:

Congrats. :D Dont you love surprises? 

Lol that depends on the surprise. A new tank is always nice but a little better timing would have been nicer lmao.

15 hours ago, waya said:

Lol that depends on the surprise. A new tank is always nice but a little better timing would have been nicer lmao.

how about a bigger house for more tanks :rofl 

7 hours ago, koko said:

how about a bigger house for more tanks :rofl 

YES PLEASE.

Actually we hope to be moving in the not to distant future (year or 2). That's why I want to make this tank stand fit almost any placement I could put it in and have it allow a.tank under it to.

On this floor IDK if I would want to put a full tank under it but hopefully later that will be different. I think ATM the most weight on the floor is a 2 40g breeder stand. The stand it's self weights over 100lb. I don't remember the number but I did the math on it when I made it. Added up the weight of a 2by4 by how many 2by4s when in to it and it was heaver then  I could have guessed it to be. it wasn't light to move that's for sure lol. I made the 40g stand for 3 tanks tho IDK if much more then a 10- 12inch tall tank would work on top of it and give me room to clean the tank. I want to get a costume tank for the top at some point 46 1/2 long X 18 wide X 10 or 12 inches tall. Would hold around another 40 gallons of water.

This stand for the new tank isn't going to be as big as the double 40g stand but still not going to be light.

Older stand but gives a Idea of what I'm doing and talking about

The 40g breeder stand

Picture_20154709084710.jpgDSC_0308.jpg

2nd 40g breeder stand meant to hold only 1 40g, a smaller tank or tote sump underneath and some fish stuff to sit on top of it. You can't really see it in this picture but the legs do go to a 2nd level for items.

20160522_231345.jpg

The new stand is going to be more like this one the way it is pictured, not having a top to it. The middle beams are going to be placed differently to hold the 40 on bottom but just a rough idea.