Kokos Goldfish Forum
teethguy222

What's happening to my goldfish?

Hello all,

I have a 29gal tank w/ 2 fancy, 1 dojo loach. (Filtered w/ Marineland 350) My larger fancy goldfish is the one in question. Recently he started hanging out at the top (kinda tail up), very lethargic looking. Even now when I'm looking at him swim around, sometimes his tail-half of his body starts to drift up a little when he's not actively moving. It almost looks like he's being pulled up by the meat of his tail. A second issue I noticed, is that on his left eye, I've noticed an opacity that wasn't there. I used to be able to see right clear into his eyeball, but now there's an obvious opaque spot. Are these related? What else should I be looking for?

Other info: I've had all 3 fish together for over 3 years now. Temperature has been fairly stable since I started using a 100w heater (on lowest setting), as well as keeping the room temp no lower than 60F. I've been doing that for almost 6 months now, and hadn't had any problems previously. I haven't been doing a great job of changing water, but I have been changing the filters more often. (I know it's no substitute :pan for water changes) I recently started adding some fluval charcoal/ammonia remover packets to my filter just to give it the occasional bump. Soon, I will be switching to the Marineland cartridges with biomax, and a layer of Marineland filter floss in front of it. I do not have current readings on nitrogen, but I think it's well controlled now that I've been back to changing water regularly.

Thanks for reading! :goldfish:

Without the water readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates, it is hard to tell. If you aren't doing a weekly water change, then it might be your problem. Bad water quality can cause a lot of issues. From fin rot, cloudy eyes, to fish getting unhealthy.

Also what temperature is the tank exactly at?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Hi :) Would you please be able to fill out this form? I know you've answered some of the questions in your post but having it all in the form makes it easier for the mods to assess :) If you can't copy and paste it then just quote my post and fill it out :) A Video and/or some photos will help a lot too. You also might want to check out our guidelines, you might find some useful info in there :) ish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/121320-kokos-goldfish-forum-guidelines-for-healthy-goldfish/

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how
      • much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Do read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  

We need the form information to give serious advice, and with luck, correcting your water quality may solve or at least help your problem.  We absolutely must know numerical values for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH for both your tank and tap water.  We recommend the API Freshwater Master Kit for testing.  This kit will last for years.  You can probably buy it in your local fish/pet store.  You can also take samples of tank and tap water to a fish/pet store and get it tested.  Tell them you must have the numbers not things like "good, safe, high, low, etc."