Mr.Oranda

Oranda with Single-Tail

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I bought a cool looking little guy at Petsmart the other day. I bought a little red oranda with a dark red wen, and a cool mixture of dark red and light orange markings. I put him in quarantine before I put him in my 65 gallon with my other fancies. Looking at him I kept thinking theres something different about this guy, then I realized he's a single-tail. I've done a little reading on this; is this not a desirable trait? Seems like all the stuff I've read on fries with single-tails means they should be culled? I was just curious about this as I've never seen an oranda with just a single-tail before. And don't worry I'm not going to get rid of this little guy he's really cute, and as far as I can tell so far he doesn't swim any faster than my other fancies so I'm not worried about him fitting in with the others. 

Thanks!! 

:thumbup2:

Show breeders probably would have culled yes. I love little quirks like thst though! Id love to see a pic!

Yes Photos :) 

Ok, I'll take some and post them when I get the chance! Thanks for the replies.

Nymphs are wonderful fish.  They swim as well as comets, and the tails can look spectacular in an aquarium.  

2 hours ago, shakaho said:

Nymphs are wonderful fish.  They swim as well as comets, and the tails can look spectacular in an aquarium.  

Yea I love my Nymph :heart If I saw another I'd snap it up in a heartbeat 

Too bad you don't live here, I have several.

Culling is a subjective term. 

IMO, a true cull is a fish that needs to be prevented from reproducing genetic deformities: i.e. crooked mouths, missing eyes or sets of fins, etc. 

A single tailed Oranda? The tamasaba would have to be considered a Ryukin cull, but no - it is its own breed. 

6 minutes ago, Goldiegirl said:

Culling is a subjective term. 

IMO, a true cull is a fish that needs to be prevented from reproducing genetic deformities: i.e. crooked mouths, missing eyes or sets of fins, etc. 

A single tailed Oranda? The tamasaba would have to be considered a Ryukin cull, but no - it is its own breed. 

True and thats how we got some really unusual breeds too :) 

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm curious about anything regarding Goldies. I'd like to breed them some day so this is helpful info. Here's some pics I took this morning, sorry they're not the best quality. IMG_1628_zpsjm0qrear.jpgIMG_1638_zpst8uc6foz.jpgIMG_1636_zps8nom91y6.jpg

He is beautiful!!!!

48 minutes ago, FishyMandy said:

He is beautiful!!!!

Thanks! I thought so too. I'm eager to see what his wen and colors do as he gets bigger.

He is so adorable! Ugh I can't wait to start on my fish room.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I love to buy them small, you get to watch them grow up :) 

Very nice!

I have a matte red eggfish/lionhead/whatever that is mostly orange, but has deep red scales here and there. It's really awesome how his color turned out.

Good luck with this cutie :)

Cute!! :D

Thanks guys! He's a very active little so I'm hoping he'll remain healthy. I'll keep him in QT for another week. It's pretty neat seeing an oranda swim like a comet I must say.