Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fish Of Gold

Dreamsicle sick again with 2 others as well

Weigh out the 1/4 teaspoon of oxy and divide by four if it is sensitive enough. If not, start the other two meds and wait for the spoons to get here to start the oxy, then just continue it s little past when the other medication course has concluded.  No biggie.

2 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Weigh out the 1/4 teaspoon of oxy and divide by four if it is sensitive enough. If not, start the other two meds and wait for the spoons to get here to start the oxy, then just continue it s little past when the other medication course has concluded.  No biggie.

Good idea, I'll try it out on the scale. If it doesn't work, I'll wait for the spoons, Thanks a million for the info and quick answer! :) 

I would like you to stop feeding gel food for now please :) 

It may be part of the problem here :o 

4 hours ago, koko said:

I would like you to stop feeding gel food for now please :) 

It may be part of the problem here :o 

Okey Dokey, I won't give them any more. :) 

The measuring spoons arrived today! I added the Oxy this morning using the 1/16th spoon. I added the Prime as 2 drops per gallon today as well. Tomorrow I'll do the 100% WC and re add the Meds.

A few questions:

Do I need to keep the tank lights off? I didn't know if any of the meds were light sensitive.

Am I supposed to be feeding them light meals instead of their regular meal portions?

No lights. Be sure to add the prime a bit before the meds, like half an hour, so it doesn't bind with the medication.  Feed lightly or change water more frequently, since we don't want the ammonia building up in the quarantine too quickly and fouling the water.

Update: Dreamsicle is the same still. Popsicle looks ok, Creamsicle went from floating upside down on the surface to now floating upside down on the bottom for the past 3 days.

I'm sorry, at this point it sounds like some of a viral thing.  Parasites and bacteria are pretty much eliminated - unless you want to take them to a vet and try something subcutaneous antibiotics . You can nuke the system and reintroduce them and let them live out their days, euthanize them in quarantine and try starting over with fresh stock, or try something like paraguard or even the Seachem Focus mixed with oxytetracycline to try feeding the med and possibly increasing the efficacy. But I'd have expected some improvement l, however minor, if these treatments were going to work, you know what I mean?

Do they improve at all with fasting or just a green foods diet like nori or duckweed?  Do their bellies feel hard or soft when palpiteted?  How is their gill color?

Hope everyone feels better soon.

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

I'm sorry, at this point it sounds like some of a viral thing.  Parasites and bacteria are pretty much eliminated - unless you want to take them to a vet and try something subcutaneous antibiotics . You can nuke the system and reintroduce them and let them live out their days, euthanize them in quarantine and try starting over with fresh stock, or try something like paraguard or even the Seachem Focus mixed with oxytetracycline to try feeding the med and possibly increasing the efficacy. But I'd have expected some improvement l, however minor, if these treatments were going to work, you know what I mean?

Do they improve at all with fasting or just a green foods diet like nori or duckweed?  Do their bellies feel hard or soft when palpiteted?  How is their gill color?

We got done cleaning everything plus the tank yesterday. The filters had to be soaked in vinegar first because they were so limed up, then we bleached them, got new AC sponges and CaribSea sand. :mytank1: But now since I read this to him he doesn't want to infect the tank again if it can't be cured and wants them to stay in the QT tank or even go into the 20 gallon long tank that Wishing Star is in and put Wish into the nuked 40B tank. But I told him 3 can't live in a 10 gal QT tank or even in a 20 gallon either. We don't have any money left after the fish meds, vinegar, and bleach etc.so I can't buy any Focus or Paraguard.

I haven't fasted them and I haven't given them any green foods so I don't know. Their bellies feel like regular firmness, not really hard and not squishy soft either. Gill colors all look normal too, and no problems breathing or anything like that. 

How did they get a virus after all these years and no new fish, shared nets/equipment etc. or anything? This is so devastating, plus I'm not even over Tricycle passing away, now all of this bad stuff is happening.   :why: :thumbdown :madrant :doh11::cry :o :krazy: :blowup: :veryangry: :undecided: :( :bye2: 

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 5:57 PM, Fish Of Gold said:

We got done cleaning everything plus the tank yesterday. The filters had to be soaked in vinegar first because they were so limed up, then we bleached them, got new AC sponges and CaribSea sand. :mytank1: But now since I read this to him he doesn't want to infect the tank again if it can't be cured and wants them to stay in the QT tank or even go into the 20 gallon long tank that Wishing Star is in and put Wish into the nuked 40B tank. But I told him 3 can't live in a 10 gal QT tank or even in a 20 gallon either. We don't have any money left after the fish meds, vinegar, and bleach etc.so I can't buy any Focus or Paraguard.

I haven't fasted them and I haven't given them any green foods so I don't know. Their bellies feel like regular firmness, not really hard and not squishy soft either. Gill colors all look normal too, and no problems breathing or anything like that. 

How did they get a virus after all these years and no new fish, shared nets/equipment etc. or anything? This is so devastating, plus I'm not even over Tricycle passing away, now all of this bad stuff is happening.   :why: :thumbdown :madrant :doh11::cry :o :krazy: :blowup: :veryangry: :undecided: :( :bye2: 

:hug

I'm honestly not sure but it could have been dormant until a stressful time or water conditions weakened their immune systems.  Many pathogens exist at a low level in healthy fish and don't overpopulate or gain or a foothold until they become stressed or even sick with something else.  Just like humans.

It's just a guess though - without a miscroscope I can't tell much more.

I just finished up the 2 week meds, even though you said it was viral. Dreamsicle is still the same, except his eye looks less puffy now, Creamsicle is still bottom sitting but now she lays on her side when at rest. Popsicle is fine still. If it is a virus, does that mean it is contagious? If so why doesn't Popsicle show any signs of sickness? Is Popsicle a carrier of the virus too now even if he doesn't seem sick?

Guess I have to put them back in the 40B now that quarantine is over. Should I keep them in the QT tank until I cycle the main tank, or do I have to do I cycle it with the 3 goldfish in the 40? It has been sitting dry since I bleached it all. Are viruses killed by bleach too like bacteria? Just wondering if I'd be able to reuse the tank in the future with different fish.

Just like in humans, it can be hard to tell whether an animal has immunity to a virus or whether it will take hold.  Even in cases of highly contagious columnaris, sometimes a few fish are unaffected.  

Bleaching and drying thoroughly took care of it on your main tank, if that is indeed the cause. If it is instead some water issue thst doesn't show up on our tests, like copper leaching from pipes, it will turn up again.  But I'm at the end of the diagnostics I can do from a distance, unfortunately :(