Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

Looks like a RESEALING is needed :(

Well, I was recently scrubbing the rubber sealant in the corners of my 90 gallon tank......that's how I realized the sealant looks really old & needs to be redone. I bought this tank used & have had it for years! No telling how old it is! There are (thankfully) no leaks but I talked to my hubby & we are planning the replace the sealant this next weekend. We did my 29 gallon tank awhile back so we know how to do it. It'll be nice to have pretty clean "outlines"! We will have to put the goldies in the 29 temporarily while resealing & drying but it'll be ok! They will appreciate their spacious home when moved back!  (LOL!)

I am lucky in that although the fish hobby is ALL mine. My hubby will jump in and help whenever I need a hand. He's been researching (again) the best way to do this.

Good luck!!  I do not envy you.  Hope all goes well. :D

LOL, Lisa.....I don't envy me either!!!

Good luck Jeana!!!!

Thanks! Wanna come help out? (LOL) I'll take ALL volunteers!!!!  (LOL!)

good luck,at least you have done this before,I would be to scared lol

We MIGHT be doing it this weekend.....got to make sure the weather is going to cooperate need 48 hours of good weather!!  ALSO I have been thinking about painting the back & maybe sides. I like how the acrylic paint is easy to paint on AND easy to scrap off later if you want to!

Another option:

ANY AND ALL input on the resealing & or painting project is appreciated!!!  Another idea is I already have a roll of aquarium background. One side looks like rocks & the other is blue.

P.S. Shelly it IS scarey even tho we have done it. The 29 was fairly easy......I have spent many hours worrying over something going wrong on the 90!!:yikes I doubt that would really happen.....but I would be devastated!!!! (I have looked at so many DIY videos that I am about crosseyed!!!)

Edited by Jeana727

Who has actually painted the back of their tank? How'd the job go & were you happy with it? Any and all input appreciated!

Who has actually painted the back of their tank? How'd the job go & were you happy with it? Any and all input appreciated!

I spray painted the back & bottom of mine black with krylon. It took several coats to get full coverage. So far no issues, and I like the look.
465e42e5328182d8d94a65eb96d29067.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the picture Casey! That looks great! Now I am definitely leaning towards painting the back & bottom when we do the Reseal!!!

I've also painted the bottom of my tank with Krylon.  Since then I've added sand so I don't think pics would help. :rofl

23 hours ago, Jeana727 said:

We MIGHT be doing it this weekend.....got to make sure the weather is going to cooperate need 48 hours of good weather!!  ALSO I have been thinking about painting the back & maybe sides. I like how the acrylic paint is easy to paint on AND easy to scrap off later if you want to!

And this is why I could never reseal a tank.  48 hours of the weather cooperating in Michigan just wouldn't happen :tomuch:

Good luck!

On 3/22/2017 at 1:56 PM, Jeana727 said:

Thanks! Wanna come help out? (LOL) I'll take ALL volunteers!!!!  (LOL!)

Can I bring Liliana????

You are MORE than welcome to bring Liliana.......but you will probably be leaving WITHOUT HER!!!!!!  I have wanted her since the first picture you posted!!!

9 hours ago, CaseyE said:

I spray painted the back & bottom of mine black with krylon. It took several coats to get full coverage. So far no issues, and I like the look.
465e42e5328182d8d94a65eb96d29067.jpg

How do you have all those plants on top of the tank??

Love the oranda in front. <3 Beautiful tank & fish

1 hour ago, Jeana727 said:

You are MORE than welcome to bring Liliana.......but you will probably be leaving WITHOUT HER!!!!!!  I have wanted her since the first picture you posted!!!

She is a wonderful little girl!!!! Very affectionate. She would miss her Mommy!!!!

1 hour ago, Goldiegirl said:

Love the oranda in front. <3 Beautiful tank & fish

IM going to steal your Quan Yin statue!!!!

1 hour ago, DawnMichele said:

She is a wonderful little girl!!!! Very affectionate. She would miss her Mommy!!!!

:teehee

1 hour ago, koko said:

:teehee

What's so funny???

Love the oranda in front.

Thanks! I've stolen lots of ideas [emoji4]. I have the pothos vines ziptied to suction cup soap holders made for showers. The lucky bamboo and some pothos is just sitting in the HOB. Most of the anubias in the tank is suction cupped to the back wall.

14a7a6f5156ce3f8de0edd4c3e5385b5.jpg

683216f19a18a6c9de17ff41f5b3a76a.jpg

IM going to steal your Quan Yin statue!!!!

Ha. I kinda stole her myself. She belongs to my honey, he used to keep her in his office. She was the first thing I put in the tank. He has a good selection of crystals & such that I also steal for revolving tank fancifying. [emoji4]

Thanks for the picture Casey! That looks great! Now I am definitely leaning towards painting the back & bottom when we do the Reseal!!!

In hindsight, I would only paint the back and not the bottom. Every speck of poo really stands out against it.

Oh Thanks for sharing that info!!!!  I just read it to my husband & we both agreed we shall only paint the back!!!!!  I will keep using my scattered stones on the bottom!! 

7 hours ago, DawnMichele said:

What's so funny???

Someone trying to take your doggy :rofl 

If you paint the back, use a latex based paint. It's way easier to remove than acrylic. 

Best of luck resealing! I don't envy you on such a large tank. :rofl