alexloo11

Trickle Filter, Canister Filter, and Natural Veggie Filter

9 posts in this topic

Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted (busy with work and life), but I wanted to give you guys a glimpse of my new setup. (old tank updates are coming) This is my current 40B setup with 5 new fish (1 ranchu hybrid and 4 lionheads). Yes, it's a heavily stocked tank, and I feed them 3-4x a day, so you can imagine the waste being produced, but this is how I keep my water chemistry in tip top shape. I have 0's across the board, and here's how:

1. Daily 30% WC (back to bucket method since my new home has a fancy spa-head for a sink)

2. Trickle Filter- the trickle filter has a 590 gph pump powering it.

3. Fluval 306

4. Veggie Filter- this is my lucky bamboo veggie filter. Some people haven't had any luck, but it's clear my lucky bamboo are thriving and loving the poopy fish water.

IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG

I've looked at those trickle filters online.
Could you give a little more information on yours​ and how it's working for you.

Nice fish by the way :)

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Daniel E. said:

I've looked at those trickle filters online.
Could you give a little more information on yours and how it's working for you.

Nice fish by the way :)

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

The trickle filter has been up for about 4 months now and I haven't had one problem with it. I started off with a powerhead rated about 250gph and I found that water barely made it to the end of the trickle spray bar, so I upgraded and bought an adjustable flow pump that's rated up to 595 gph. I crank it up to about 350 gph and have pretty even flow throughout the trickle spray bar.

I will caution you that if you buy it from amazon, make sure to measure your tank because as you can see in my tank, the tube that came with the trickle filter connecting the pump to the trickle filter wasn't long enough so I had to buy that black extension to make it reach. As for maintenance, it takes 5 minutes. I just lift the boxes, rinse, and throw out the filter floss and replace with new. So much easier than when I have to clean the canister. 

I've had no leaks, nothing. If you're sensitive to noise, you might not want to get it because it does create a bunch of water trickling noise which compared to a HOB is much noisier. Setup was a breeze and it is very well made. If you want more info or pics just let me know :)

I really like your set up.. and Ill take the big ranchu :teehee 

13 hours ago, koko said:

I really like your set up.. and Ill take the big ranchu :teehee 

Would you believe that ranchu was olive like the small olive lionhead? She's losing her black too.

3 minutes ago, alexloo11 said:

Would you believe that ranchu was olive like the small olive lionhead? She's losing her black too.

I can ... I had a fish that was to be a blue Oranda changed to an orange and white one :lol 

They look great, I love the bamboo too! And you do a great job at keeping the water chemistry right in such a tightly stocked tank!

Cool setup and beautiful Goldfish!!!