Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GothSpice

Questions about unsealed styrofoam

So I've cut up a Tupperware to make a diy feeding ring, and I was wondering if it was safe to strap some scrap Foamular pink styrofoam to it to make it float? I ran a heat gun over the pieces to melt them slightly to prevent them from flaking off into itty bitty pieces willy-nilly. This whole contraption will only be sitting in my tank a few minutes a day. So, do you think it's safe? I wanted y'all's esteemed opinions before I go tossing anything iffy in my tank!

The hydroponics system we have in my l&h class has huge l
Pink styrofoam floaters to hold the plants, and i think that's pretty customary. I am 97% positive it would be completely fine.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Sweet! Time to strap it all together and give it a whirl!

So it worked pretty good, though I just made a 5-minute upgrade. I used a plastic Tupperware that sandwich meat comes in, with the bottom cut out, flipped upside down, and with styrofoam strapped to the side with plastic cable/zip ties. This gave more area above the water line rather than underneath it, because my fish have been knocking their scales off every time I feed them when they go up inside their Eheim feeder.

This seems to work out better. The rounded lip of the Tupperware seems to be gentler on them when they flip away after grabbing their pellets. The cut portion is well above the water line. The clip ties catch pellets, so I've removed them and hot glue gunned the styrofoam to the Tupperware instead. I'm going to let it cure 24 hours and then try again.

But so far, it seems to be working nicely!

Photos Photos :wa