Butterfly

Dandy Orandas and Repashy team up!

28 posts in this topic

Have you seen the news? I am excited for Ken/Dandy Orandas and all Fancies in general! Can't wait to try it out.

2e0081ce14d756a3e1ecc583ea8e572a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES I'm SO excited!! I've been wanting this forever and who better than Dandy Orandas?!

So any input from buyers on this product yet?

I wasn't aware it existed. Cool!

I bought a pack but haven't used it yet. Still have some Soilent Green to use up. I was hoping to get a golden ticket (big neg, lol). I will post an update with my first batch.

On October 6, 2017 at 5:48 PM, Butterfly said:

I bought a pack but haven't used it yet. Still have some Soilent Green to use up. I was hoping to get a golden ticket (big neg, lol). I will post an update with my first batch.

Any news? 

Not yet. LOL. I am still on the last of the Soilent Green. Should be soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's too expensive... Me no affordy... Me too many fishies... They too greedy. Can barely afford to feed regular Repashy. Have already had to cut down. Please tell me how you like this. I've heard good things.

They've removed the fish meal in the new formula. I think that made the soilent smell soooo bad and also spoil fast in the fridge. I mostly stopped using soilent green and had begun using super green mixed with grub pie instead. Didn't smell as bad and didn't spoil as fast. 

I bought a bag from dandy oranda’s about 6 weeks ago and my fish love it , I use it as their main staple with brine shrimp, blood worms , peas and spinach throughout their other meals but they are looking and acting great very active and happy 

30 minutes ago, Justintime said:

I bought a bag from dandy oranda’s about 6 weeks ago and my fish love it , I use it as their main staple with brine shrimp, blood worms , peas and spinach throughout their other meals but they are looking and acting great very active and happy 

If you can? Can you show us a photo of the food? :) 

I really love this food and at the moment it’s cheaper by weight then soilent green if you buy it from dandy oranda’s unless the deal has passed 

46 minutes ago, Justintime said:

I really love this food and at the moment it’s cheaper by weight then soilent green if you buy it from dandy oranda’s unless the deal has passed 

When your feeding Gel food make sure you turn your filter off. This is so the fish can eat it all and not get sucked up into the filter. If that happens and you don't clean your filter (water in the filter) you can cause some other issues :( 

Oh no kidding even with prefilters ?and what other issues can you cause have me ready to clean my filters out

Edited by Justintime

13 hours ago, Justintime said:

Oh no kidding even with prefilters ?and what other issues can you cause have me ready to clean my filters out

I used to use the pre filters but I found it just cuts the filter rate down :o

When you don't dump the water out of a HOB or a canister when doing a water change, your just dumping all that gunk water back to the tank. After a while it will build up and you will have other issues like say fungus, bacterial issues and so on. I found that when I feed my fish anything I just turn it off for about 5 mins let them eat then turn them back on. Then every time I do a water change I just dump the water out of my HOB :) 

On 11/1/2017 at 7:45 PM, Justintime said:

Wow makes sense I do clean out my filters but I keep prefilters on them I’ll give it a shot with out them but I love the gel food I can really see a difference in my fish across the board

30 minutes ago, Justintime said:

If you have just HOB's you can just turn the filters off while feeding. Canisters a little harder as some need priming to get back on. 

You don't need to clean the filter media every time, just need to dump that water out. Its the same water as in the tank, so why not dump it out with a water change :thumbs: 

You can still feed the Gell just turn off the filters is what I mean :) Keep it out of the filters :) 

Ok easy enuff thank you and my canister is easy unplug n plug in

13 hours ago, koko said:

You can still feed the Gell just turn off the filters is what I mean :) Keep it out of the filters :) 

Sorry to jump in here - can I do this Koko? I know you told me to stop feeding gel food (after my issues with Winston flared up), but now I no longer use an internal filter could I turn my FX6's off and be safe to feed gel food in the main tank? I still have a lot of Repashy left over which is just gathering dust now.

If not, how about feeding it to Piggy whilst he's in QT? If leftover residue is still an issue here, I could feed it to him before his bucket-to-bucket WC.

Edited by titch

2 hours ago, titch said:

Sorry to jump in here - can I do this Koko? I know you told me to stop feeding gel food (after my issues with Winston flared up), but now I no longer use an internal filter could I turn my FX6's off and be safe to feed gel food in the main tank? I still have a lot of Repashy left over which is just gathering dust now.

If not, how about feeding it to Piggy whilst he's in QT? If leftover residue is still an issue here, I could feed it to him before his bucket-to-bucket WC.

If it was me and all that you have been through. I would feed him out side of your tank for now :) but yes over all you could do that. :) 

1 hour ago, koko said:

If it was me and all that you have been through. I would feed him out side of your tank for now :) but yes over all you could do that. :) 

Hmmm ok. 

Think I’ll make a small batch up for Piggy whilst in QT. It’ll be easy to ensure no residue remains - feed him the gel, then transfer him to new tub (bucket-to-bucket), plus there’s no filter in there to suck up nasties. 

I just bought some of this! This will be my first experience with gel food. I will be feeding it in my baby oranda tank. Any tips on how to feed? I know I need to turn the HOB filters off when feeding (Thanks, Koko I'm sure that tip helped avoid a headache!). I currently feed four small meals a day with New Life Spectrum, Omega One, and spirulina pellets. Do I feed this a few times a day or just once? Can I also compliment it with pellets? Thanks for any feedback. I am excited about trying this food, I see some of the incredible growth people get from their goldies on this site and I hope to achieve it. 

Well I have been feeding soilent green every day for months until I got the super gold then I switched over to it and my tank has stayed stable and I feed 2x minimum but I just cleaned my aqua clear 70 out n dang I think 🤔 the gel helps gunk it up just as I’ve been warned but I’m still gonna feed them the super gold turn filters off n clean often oh and I think it’s adding to the Mulm that builds up on my plants 

Edited by Justintime

I’ve been using Super Gold for a few weeks now (finally used up the Soilent Green). It doesn’t seem to be as smelly but then the smell of SG never bothered  me that much either.

I am happy with the product. My one floaty fish is less floaty. I can’t say 100% it is the fish food of course but the fish spends less time upside down and seems to be swimming straighter.

I have to say that I don’t understand the recommendations to turn off the filters when feeding gel food?  I cut mine into chunks and it goes right to the bottom until consumed. I’ve had more issues with sinking pellets getting wafted around by the currents and getting sucked into the filters before the fish find it.  My filters are no more dirty or clogged with gel vs pellets.