DieselPlower

How I minimize micro bubbles during water changes.

21 posts in this topic

From time to time I have problems with "micro bubbles" during water changes. These are tiny bubbles that stick to everything and for whatever reason I do too recall I have been led to believe they can be bad for the fish. Maybe someone else can comment on fact vs fiction there. Anyway, I have been advised to let the water splash into the tank during the refill as a way to help dissipate the bubble. I would lay the water siphon along the top of the tank and let the water splash in from above. This did not work at all. The entire tank would still be filled with the tiny bubbles. Today I stuck the siphon straight down into the corner of the tank, so that the end was under water, and the siphon was mostly vertical. What I found was that the tiny bubbles would exit and mostly travel up and out of the water, rather than being mixed throughout the tank. I guess I would say that at the end of a 60 gallon water change, about half the tank has the bubbles, and the other half does not. Usually the entire tank is full of them. Hopefully others may find this useful.

334760e5b9f2235b02192f6ae46a7fcc.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The fish have been staying on the bubble free side. Not sure that's any type of proof they don't like the bubbles or rather they are just unsure if the water changer.

Only a couple minutes after stopping the water there are no bubbles. I didn't turn the filters on yet to prevent the bubbles from spreading around.

I personally only see this on new tanks that aren't cycle yet. What are your reading for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Having a cycled or uncycled tank wouldn't have anything to do with water coming out of the tap having bubbles in it but my ammonia and nitrite are always 0 and my nitrate ranges between 0 and 40 depending on how often I do water changes.

Having a cycled or uncycled tank wouldn't have anything to do with water coming out of the tap having bubbles in it but my ammonia and nitrite are always 0 and my nitrate ranges between 0 and 40 depending on how often I do water changes.

What I meant is that usually in a cycled tank the bubble will disappear. Either within minutes, hours etc after a water change. Does the bubble stay and not go away within minutes, hours, or a day or so? Also what size tank and filtration do you have on the tank?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I don't see how little bubbles from fresh water do harm.

Yeah I get that on occasion with no ill effects...

I get them a lot here. Expecially since its gotten very cold and when Mixing warm water with my cold it gets worse. I haven't had any ill effects with it at all :) 

I get them every water change - they are from mixing hot and cold water from your tap.

This winter, I have done water changes in my pond in my basement.  The water temp is cold, so to match it, I turn on only the cold water from my tap, and have never gotten the micro bubbles from the cold water.  As the temperature in my basement has increased this spring, I've had to add just a little of my warm water to match the temp... and now I get the micro bubbles there too :) 

I have never noticed any ill effects of the bubbles, but don't have anything other than my experience to back that up.

Thanks for the additional info and comments. I find if I splash the water into the tank from above the bubbles last for a good hour or more. Would have to check to be sure. Right now I have 2 Fluval 405 filters on this 125 gallon aquarium.

One of my fish absolutely loves the micro bubbles, and the others don't seem to care. I've never heard of them being bad. I've never seen any ill effects. I'd say don't worry about them. :D

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I get this too unless the incoming water hits something. Usually I find a rock (i.e., hard decor) does a much better job at correcting it. 

DP, I remember what you're talking about too. It was an over saturation of oxygen during water changes using the Mikey Method that was harming some fish. I don't remember what happened exactly, but I think it was Alex or Helen that worked out what was happening. 

Is DP on Well Water? 

Yes we'll water

Blasted autocorrect hasn't helped me one time but changes correct spelling to incorrect.

I've read that they can be harmful in a mixed tropical aquarium.  Can't remember where!  IIRC, it was maybe something about the tiny bubbles getting stuck under a shrimp's carapace, and harming it.   Have also read that it is better if dissolved gasses can have a chance to dissipate before adding the water to the aquarium.   Not sure if that is exactly what goes on when mixing hot and cold, and adding straight from the tap. 

1 hour ago, DieselPlower said:

Blasted autocorrect hasn't helped me one time but changes correct spelling to incorrect.

lol :rofl

Well water I think is most likely different than tap water. I bet the micro bubbles you get with the extra minerals and such cause you problems :( 

On 22/03/2017 at 0:07 PM, Distaff said:

I've read that they can be harmful in a mixed tropical aquarium.  Can't remember where!  IIRC, it was maybe something about the tiny bubbles getting stuck under a shrimp's carapace, and harming it.   Have also read that it is better if dissolved gasses can have a chance to dissipate before adding the water to the aquarium.   Not sure if that is exactly what goes on when mixing hot and cold, and adding straight from the tap. 

To what extent this is actually a problem I don't really know. High light planted tanks can pearl like crazy - more so than any water change microbubbles. One of Tom Barr's tanks pearls so rapidly it looks cloudy. He keeps thousands of shrimp too.

I suspect under some circumstances there might be a genuine problem with microbubbles, but I think, for the most part, it's mostly overblown hype. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I suspect under some circumstances there might be a genuine problem with microbubbles, but I think, for the most part, it's mostly overblown hype

I agree hun. I think the thing is.... is it plant Micro bubbles or from gasses in the water :) 

The fish do look uncomfortable from a water change with a lot of the small bubbles. I keep temp the same and there is very little pH swing so I am just guessing it is the bubbles since they have not seemed uncomfortable since I started doing the changes while minimizing the bubbles.