Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shelbysfish

Am I a terrible person?

Hello friends!!

Happy to be back. I made a post explaining my absence but I'm back for good. :) missed everyone.

So I did something...

As some of you know, I have my 2 babies (not yet a year old) in a 30 gallon tank with an Aqueon Quietflow 55/75g Filter. (its amazing, I barely suck anything out in water changes anymore). I do 50% water changes, 2 times a week.

Well, one of my FAVORITE breeders of all time had a sale for her babies, and she only had one left. I just purchased it. It's about 3 inches in length at the moment. She wouldn't be having any more fish for a very long time, so I was a sucker and went for it. D: 

Now, I am currently living at my parents house because of health reasons. They know I've been wanting to get a 45g tank for a while, they are getting me one for my birthday in 8 weeks. It will be here then.

Will the new baby be okay in my 3 gallon with my two other small fish (about 3 inches as well) for 8 weeks until they all move to their new 45g? Am I a terrible person?!?!

GAH!!

As long as it's a 30 gallon, not a 3 gallon, should be fine in a cycled tank and the water changes. Test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to be sure.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, DieselPlower said:

As long as it's a 30 gallon, not a 3 gallon, should be fine in a cycled tank and the water changes. Test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to be sure.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes, it's a 30 gallon. :)

I'll be doing a water test today I'll post my numbers.

I raised two adult goldfish in a twenty gallon with no ill effects or stunted growth but i used a fluval 40 and added some poted plants because my situation was the same as yours lol. i was going to get a plastic tube i can stick in my room instead becUse i know with my addiction to fish ill find another fish to bring hom sooner rather than later. i would do that instead of a tank plus 40 gal is pushing it with three. The tubs are also cheaper that getting a tank that you will have to upgrade again. ugh that part sucked.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

I have had three, 10ish-month-old commons in a 38 gallon for six months, they seem to be doing fine. I also have a Aqueon 75, it's doing a great job and my parameters are better in that tank than any of my others. I did put a bunch of Seachem Matrix in it (for nitrates) because I'm like that. But my fish seem to be doing just peachy.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Can I get you to change your mind about the 45 gallon tank? This tank does not have the shape you want for goldfish.  It's 2 feet deep,  but has the same surface area as your 30 gallon.    Consider instead getting a 75 gallon at the next Petco dollar per gallon sale, which should happen before your birthday.  It's a little shallower than the 45 but has twice the surface area.  This can easily handle three goldfish and if you have good filtration and a good, regular water change schedule, you could even squeeze in another fish that you absolutely can't resist.

I'll take this back if all of your fish are comets, commons, or shubunkins.  The long-bodied fish need less oxygen, less exercise, and rarely develop swim bladder disorder.  They can handle a taller tank with less surface area.  

30 minutes ago, shakaho said:

Can I get you to change your mind about the 45 gallon tank? This tank does not have the shape you want for goldfish.  It's 2 feet deep,  but has the same surface area as your 30 gallon.    Consider instead getting a 75 gallon at the next Petco dollar per gallon sale, which should happen before your birthday.  It's a little shallower than the 45 but has twice the surface area.  This can easily handle three goldfish and if you have good filtration and a good, regular water change schedule, you could even squeeze in another fish that you absolutely can't resist.

I'll take this back if all of your fish are comets, commons, or shubunkins.  The long-bodied fish need less oxygen, less exercise, and rarely develop swim bladder disorder.  They can handle a taller tank with less surface area.  

Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into this. Is there anything between a 45-75 that you recommend? I'm not sure about the spacing for the 75 in my room, I'll do some measuring tonight. 

Okay, tank perams for today were:

pH 6.8

Ammonia: between 0-.25ppm (this was BEFORE the water change I did this afternoon)

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: Couldn't test because I don't have the liquid bottle, just ran out. 

Also, is there a reason my fish haven't grown much since I've had them? I got them in May of last year, the photo in my signature is of them a few weeks after they arrived, and they don't seem to have grown THAT much since. What age do they start to grow the most? Here are photos of them tonight. Please excuse the poor lighting and algae. 

baby2.jpg

baby3.jpg

Hun what is your KH and GH? 

Let me check, brb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, koko said:

Hun what is your KH and GH? 

Okay, so I don't know what its supposed to be, can you advise?

kH: 71.6

gH: 179

49 minutes ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

Is your tele a solid gold?

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Hi there! I have two, their mother was gold white and black, they have a tiny bit of black spots, but mainly just orange and white. 

Hi there! I have two, their mother was gold white and black, they have a tiny bit of black spots, but mainly just orange and white. 

Solid Gold is the name of a telescope goldfish breeder haha. They're gorgeous!

2 hours ago, shelbysfish said:

Is there like a 55g?

Yes there is.

11 minutes ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

Solid Gold is the name of a telescope goldfish breeder haha. They're gorgeous!

Whoops!! Hahaha. I misunderstood the question. ? These aren't, the one I just purchased is - I adore her fish, I couldn't resist. 

Whoops!! Hahaha. I misunderstood the question. These aren't, the one I just purchased is - I adore her fish, I couldn't resist. 

Is that the pretty white and gold you showed?

14 minutes ago, Morgan'sMiracles said:

Is that the pretty white and gold you showed?

No, that was one of the 2 babies I already had. From Jeff Hill. I haven't received my solid gold yet! It should be coming next week. :) it'll be a black/bronze tele! I'll post a pic when I receive. 

I love telescopes. So cool that yours are all from such great breeders! !!

I love telescopes. So cool that yours are all from such great breeders! !!

Thank you so much!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, shelbysfish said:

Okay, so I don't know what its supposed to be, can you advise?

kH: 71.6

gH: 179

Well its a tad on the low end.... If it was me...I would get a Wondershell. They help keep the KH and GH going. Easy to deal with. They are a little pricey but we could look at other ways of raising it for you :) 

24 minutes ago, koko said:

Well its a tad on the low end.... If it was me...I would get a Wondershell. They help keep the KH and GH going. Easy to deal with. They are a little pricey but we could look at other ways of raising it for you :) 

Omg, I used to get those!! I completely forgot. I haven't had them in a few months maybe that's why!! Off to Amazon. ?

Could that be why they aren't getting bigger? Maybe they are a smaller size? 

Edited by shelbysfish

1 hour ago, shelbysfish said:

Omg, I used to get those!! I completely forgot. I haven't had them in a few months maybe that's why!! Off to Amazon. ?

Could that be why they aren't getting bigger? Maybe they are a smaller size? 

could be just the way they are :)