Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishstiks

Srange Lump/Sore by Wen on new Ranchus

Hey all,

I ordered 2 new Ranchus last week, and they are currently in QT.  One of them has a pretty gnarly looking lump/sore on his neck area, just behind the wen.  He initially had some white spots that showed up on his wen, with the largest one being just in front of where this sore is now.  I assumed they were just from shipping and acclimating to different water, as it seems that this has happened with every goldfish I have had shipped to me, and it tends to clear up after about a week or two with good water and a little salt.  The white spots cleared up within a couple days, but the sore started developing 2 days ago, as the white spots were going away.  It looks almost like a really gross pimple that needs to be popped and has redness to it. 

I noticed today that the other ranchu has a little lump in the EXACT same spot.  His lump is not as large, and shows no redness, but is definitely a raised lump.  Other than a few white spots on their heads, and these identical lumps, they show no other signs of illness.  Swimming great, eating well, no issues noticed.

Anyone have any idea what this is?  Should I treat?  I am currently just using salt at .03%.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 5-10
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) didn't test
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 78 degrees
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallon QT tank, set up as needed
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Emporer Biowheel 400 x 2 (fully cycled from main tank)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every other day, 50-75 percent
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? last night, 75 percent
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 ranchus, both about 4 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x per day, repashy, NLS pellets, Hikari pellets, fresh veggies, occasional frozen bloodworms and mysis
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? just these 2, added almost 1 week ago
  • * Any medications added to the tank? API aquarium salt, recommended dosage (.03%)
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt, added over 2 days to recommended dosage, began 4 days ago
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? just the sore mentioned above, and white spots on wen
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no

Pictures:

C0AF1782-7CF2-4344-901B-A71B56A44355_zps

9DB76211-EBC5-408D-B877-93859251C887_zps

This little guy has just a lump, not a sore yet, but a visibly raised lump

6554B11B-0272-4B71-AD66-30ADD79CF678_zps

See raised lump on left side behind wen

331FEB88-C9D9-4A52-AAA3-B089232C5079_zps

The red/white one still has his white spots, and they are getting better every day, but the yellow one's white spots on the wen are all cleared up already. 

White spots on wen?  No biggie, perfectly normal.

The red lesion?  That's a bacterial cyst from the looks of it and I'd keep him in a separate quarantine and swab it with hydrogen peroxide until it bursts and heals over.

Yes, that red lesion.  It looks like a (pardon my gross description) giant zit getting ready to pop.

Should I move him, or the other fish?  The only other tank I have is a 20g, which I can set up in a jiffy, no problem.  Should I continue with the salt until it is all healed over?

Please tell how you prepared the salt solution.  Did you mean 0.3%?

Yes, that is probably what I mean.  Arctic Momma sent me a link to measuring salt a few months back when I had a sick fish.  I printed it out and keep it with my salt.

Sorry, I am at work and didn't have the list in front of me to refer to :-)

As far as mixing the salt, I boil the water to dissolve the salt, add prime, cool to temperature, and slowly pour a little in over the course of a couple hours until its all in there.  I do half of it one day, and half the next so as not to shock the fish with too much salt at once.

Edited by fishstiks

Your Goldfish are beautiful.

Thanks Dawn :-)

I am quickly discovering that I really like these cubby faced little Ranchus.  I think they are adorable!

Update:  I am working some heavy overtime these days, and did not get home until really late last night.  I pulled the yellow ranchu and did a hydrogen peroxide swab on him, but I did not have time to set up another QT tank, so he is still in the 55 with the other one.  As of this morning, there looks to be no change on either fish.  The lesion on the yellow one "might" look a tad bit better, maybe less red, but does not look to have open up or gotten any worse or anything yet.  I am planning to separate them this evening.  Should I swab the lesion again with peroxide when I move him?

2 hours ago, fishstiks said:

Thanks Dawn :-)

I am quickly discovering that I really like these cubby faced little Ranchus.  I think they are adorable!

Update:  I am working some heavy overtime these days, and did not get home until really late last night.  I pulled the yellow ranchu and did a hydrogen peroxide swab on him, but I did not have time to set up another QT tank, so he is still in the 55 with the other one.  As of this morning, there looks to be no change on either fish.  The lesion on the yellow one "might" look a tad bit better, maybe less red, but does not look to have open up or gotten any worse or anything yet.  I am planning to separate them this evening.  Should I swab the lesion again with peroxide when I move him?

YEs please :)