ChrissieA

Thoughts on water chemistry?

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I started this thread below a few weeks ago, thought I'd start a new one with some actual numbers and since the tank is up and running. The gist of that thread is our water is variable with possible ammonia, phosphate and can be brackish. I want to make the tank as stable and Edgar-the-ranchu-friendly as possible. In that thread Sharon suggested plants would help.

Tank parameters (I did these parameters twice to be sure as I'm new to the api test kit)

ph - low - 7.6

ph high - 7.4

ammonia - o.25-0.5 ppm

nitrite - 0

nitrate - 5-10ppm

kh - 3 drops so 3 dkh or 53.7ppm

gh - 6 drops 94 6 dgh or 107.4

tap parameters (these appear to be variable as I know I've had ammonia in the tap water before) but today...

ph - low - 7.2

high - 7.4

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - 0

kh - 3

gh - 6

I lost one fish in quarantine so there is only 1 one and a half inch ranchu in the tank, which has been set up a week today. Unfortunately I think I contributed to the loss of the moor. As our water is unstable I change small amounts daily. I'd been particularly busy, missed a couple of days and so did a slightly larger change, about 30-40% I think, the next morning the moor was dead. So I'm nervous about changing too much.

i only set the tank up last week so I used the water Edgar the ranchu was already in to fill the tank. Is it possible the quarantine had started to cycle and that's where the nitrate has come from? And I've stopped or bumped it moving Edgar into the tank?

Tank is 100L with a filter that only does 400L per hour so I'm under filtered but I'm in the process of planning a pond style filter that will be done ASAP. I have 3 little pothos plants in the tank suspended in bathroom holder things. 

I believe the kh is low? Why would the tank be more alkaline than the tap? I'm not sure what it all means.

aside from fixing my filtration issue, what's my best option for the kh?

can anyone recommend a water change schedule that is safe given the water variability? It took a few days for me to get the tank full, now it's full I've been taking out 20L and the add 10L back at 2 intervals, so 10L in the morning and 10L in the evening, repeat the next day.

URL=http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/ChrissieA1/media/image_zpsjtt2nuep.jpg.html]image_zpsjtt2nuep.jpg[/URL]

Thanks!

Im wondering if you can find some WonderShells. They will help with the KH and GH issues. also declorinates the water too. I just love them :) 

2 hours ago, koko said:

Im wondering if you can find some WonderShells. They will help with the KH and GH issues. also declorinates the water too. I just love them :) 

Yeah I just had a look and I should be able to get the weco ones. Is that enough to keep the pH stable?

thanks koko. Cute new goldies btw, Justine looks like she's loving them!

40 minutes ago, ChrissieA said:

Yeah I just had a look and I should be able to get the weco ones. Is that enough to keep the pH stable?

thanks koko. Cute new goldies btw, Justine looks like she's loving them!

Thanks hun :) She does she tells them Good night and Feeds them. Then once in a while she says "Goldfish you stay here" :lol meaning they aren't allowed to go back to the store. 

You ph isn't changing to much, So they may be able to keep it more stable since it helps to keep the KH any GH stable too :) 

I hate to say this Chrissie, but would feel guilty if I didn't.  You should get a tank suitable for goldfish.  A tall tank with tiny swimming area has poor gas exchange and discourages activity.  It might work OK as a temporary tank for a couple of tiny commons.  Most people who breed ranchus agree that these fish should grow up in water no deeper than 4 inches, and adults in no more than a foot, preferably under 8 inches.  The dorsal fin mainly functions in stabilizing an upright position.  Take it away and very shallow water gives the fish the best chance of staying upright.

A shallow plastic box makes a much better home for your fish than a tall tank.

For a cycled tank, a 10% daily water change maintains water quality as well as 50% weekly, while keeping conditions much more stable.

Hi Chrissie. Nice to see you. Your tank is beautiful.

Yeah I know it's not ideal, this is a temporary tank. I was supposed to have access to a more suitable tank but it fell through after I already had the fish. He'll only be in this for a couple of months until I move. I had to get him in the tank and out of the totes because we've just adopted a new dog and can't have totes on the floor and I have no where suitable to put them.