Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kitsulove

Septicemia? Open wound? Medicine?

Hello. I'm new to this app so I'm not sure if I'm doing things correctly. Anyways, I have this penpal (yes we actually write to each other etc) and she's a veterinarian. She's experienced with fish and told me what my goldfish has. I don't know it's gender, I recently bought it from a local pet store. She has helped me with getting certain medications to fix it's clamped dorsal fin and it has been lively ever since. Now it has this open wound? Septicemia from what she told me. I did put it in a quarantine tank to be separated from the others. I ordered medicine online and someone else told me I need strong antibiotics instead of using melafix. I read posts online about Septicemia and it's making me really sad. I've had fish before, but not goldfish. I've done water changes to make the water safe for all my fish and this goldfish is still getting more problems. IMG_-pkkjrs.jpgIMG_x0em5o.jpgIMG_vx6h8l.jpgSnapchat-44126318.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Welcome to Kokos and hope your Goldfish feels better.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: 

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

● Test Results for the Following: * Ammonia Level(Tank)
● * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 from a water change
● * Nitrate level(Tank) 0 from a water change
● * Ammonia Level(Tap) tap water? Not sure. It was high when I did check it because we have these minerals in the tap water. I used water from our hose outside and it works better with the conditioner.
● * Nitrite Level(Tap) not sure
● * Nitrate level(Tap) not sure
● * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)  the ph level is around 7.2 maybe 7.3 I was told goldfish like high levels, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.
● * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pretty high from tap water last time I checked.
● Other Required Info:
● * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Test kit is api. I have taken it to petsmart a couple times, but they haven't told me the exact amount each category has so I started doing them on my own.
● * Water temperature? Main tank is above 70 degree Fahrenheit. Quarantine tank is 75. Not sure if it's helping my goldfish in need.
● * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? Main one is 30 gallons. The others a small compared to the one in need. The quarantine is 20 gallons.
● * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Main one is tetra the whisper one. I was given it with the tank. I have another one called magnum 350 for the quarantine since I didn't have a filter on hand when I found out about the fish in need. There's no carbon in it.
● * How often do you change the water and how much? I do a water test before deciding to change the water if it's stressful for the fish or acidic.
● * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? The main one was yesterday and the quarantine is the same. I had it running for a few days before putting the fish in need in there. That's how I found out the tap water wasn't good to be putting in the tank.
● * How many fish in the tank and their size?
I currently have 5. They are all small about an inch including fins except the one in need. The one in need is maybe 3 inches long including the fins.
● * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
The main one I put water conditioner, stress coat and zyme and salt from api. Bacteria for the fish is from top fin. The same goes for the quarantine, but I've been putting melafix to try and fix it's damaged fins from the pet store I got it from. It's not helping the wound at all, but it's dorsal fin is ok now and not clamped.
● * What do you feed your fish and how often?
2-3 times a day with pellets for the fish in need because it's bigger and flakes for the smaller one.
● * Any new fish added to the tank?
A small black moor. It's been over 2 weeks.
● * Any medications added to the tank?
Ick for the small fish weeks back before I got the moor and this fantail. Melafix for both.
● * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
Salt I only put whenever I do a water change. I test before and after to make sure the water is ok. Ick guard from tetra. Melafix from api. The others I put in the tank are listed above.
● * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
Damaged fins from where I got it (one in need). It did have a clamped fin at first and almost weak, but the melafix helped with that. Now it's this open wound or Septicemia from what I was told by a friend. It is getting bigger.
● * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
In the main tank it was lively. Quarantine, it swims around for a while, but today it's staying near the bottom. It is eating whenever I feed the main fish.

Welcome to Kokos!  Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

For future reference, type your answers after the question on the form, rather than retyping all the questions.

If you have a test kit, please test tank and tap water and report the results. Since you didn't test ammonia, perhaps you are using the API strips  -- virtually useless.  The API Freshwater Master Kit gives good results and, per test, costs far less than the strips.

Septicemia refers to a whole body infection.  Your fish shows no sign of that.  It does have an ulcer.  The first spine of the dorsal fine is broken, so the fins will not look more erect than they do in the last picture.  I see no sign of clamping in any of the pictures. 

How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? The main one was yesterday and the quarantine is the same. I had it running for a few days before putting the fish in need in there. That's how I found out the tap water wasn't good to be putting in the tank.

How much did you change? 100%?  What did you find that indicated that the tap water wasn't good to put in the tank?

The first thing you need is clean water.  You should change water in the QT daily, preferably 100%, but 50% may work.  I would half fill the 20 gallon QT.

You should treat the QT with salt -- aquarium salt or any other 100% NaCl.   Add 1 teaspoon of salt for each gallon of water.  For 10 gallons, you add 10 teaspoons.  This will give a concentration of 0.1% salt.  After ~12 hours, again add 1 teaspoon of salt for each gallon.  This gives you 0.2% salt.  After another 12 hours, again add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water.  This will give you 0.3% salt.  You will maintain this salt concentration when you change water by adding 1 tablespoon (= 3 teaspoons) of salt for each gallon of new water.

If you don't have them already, go to the drug store and get hydrogen peroxide, iodine (preferably betadine, which doesn't sting), and some swabs.

This may take two people, but you want to remove the fish from the tank and swab the ulcer with hydrogen peroxide.  Swab gently, but do so many times, to clean the ulcer as well as possible.  Then dry the wound with clean swabs and drip a bit of iodine onto the ulcer.  Then return the fish to clean water (with 0.3% salt).   Each day, remove the fish and gently swab the ulcer with iodine.  Don't use hydrogen peroxide again.  It's too strong.

7 hours ago, shakaho said:

Welcome to Kokos!  Please read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.

For future reference, type your answers after the question on the form, rather than retyping all the questions.

If you have a test kit, please test tank and tap water and report the results. Since you didn't test ammonia, perhaps you are using the API strips  -- virtually useless.  The API Freshwater Master Kit gives good results and, per test, costs far less than the strips.

Septicemia refers to a whole body infection.  Your fish shows no sign of that.  It does have an ulcer.  The first spine of the dorsal fine is broken, so the fins will not look more erect than they do in the last picture.  I see no sign of clamping in any of the pictures. 

How much did you change? 100%?  What did you find that indicated that the tap water wasn't good to put in the tank?

The first thing you need is clean water.  You should change water in the QT daily, preferably 100%, but 50% may work.  I would half fill the 20 gallon QT.

You should treat the QT with salt -- aquarium salt or any other 100% NaCl.   Add 1 teaspoon of salt for each gallon of water.  For 10 gallons, you add 10 teaspoons.  This will give a concentration of 0.1% salt.  After ~12 hours, again add 1 teaspoon of salt for each gallon.  This gives you 0.2% salt.  After another 12 hours, again add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water.  This will give you 0.3% salt.  You will maintain this salt concentration when you change water by adding 1 tablespoon (= 3 teaspoons) of salt for each gallon of new water.

If you don't have them already, go to the drug store and get hydrogen peroxide, iodine (preferably betadine, which doesn't sting), and some swabs.

This may take two people, but you want to remove the fish from the tank and swab the ulcer with hydrogen peroxide.  Swab gently, but do so many times, to clean the ulcer as well as possible.  Then dry the wound with clean swabs and drip a bit of iodine onto the ulcer.  Then return the fish to clean water (with 0.3% salt).   Each day, remove the fish and gently swab the ulcer with iodine.  Don't use hydrogen peroxide again.  It's too strong.

Oh ok. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to copy all of it and type in the answer. I'll keep that in mind for next time. 

I did recently buy the freshwater master kit. It helped me get the quarantine tank ready for my fish in need. 

Is there anything I can do for the broken dorsal fin or is it ok? 

For the main tank I changed 50% of it. I did test the tap water inside my house. I have a water softener and a person changes the tube or tank each month. The pH is at 8.4 Ammonia is .25 ppm Nitrite is 0 ppm and Nitrate is 5.0 ppm The reason why I put it wasn't good because the pH level was high. Should I test the outside water? 

Ok I wasn't sure if I should completely change the entire water. I've only done 25%-50%

Should I raise the temp for the QT? I currently have it at 75 degrees F and I was told by an employee at petco to raise it to 80. I didn't do that because I know goldfish are usually cooler water or room temp. 

I swabbed the ulcer with hydrogen peroxide and dropped iodine in it. My fish didn't move for a while and stayed at the bottom, but after an hour went by it acted how it usually does. The ulcer isn't as irritated around the skin and not as red either. Is there anything else I can do to help it or do I keep up with the swabs? I read online about a potassium permanganate helped someone's goldfish that had an ulcer. I haven't done it because I wasn't sure how accurate this was. 

6 hours ago, kitsulove said:

I did recently buy the freshwater master kit. It helped me get the quarantine tank ready for my fish in need.  Good.  Since you didn't fill in all of the parameters, I thought you couldn't test them.

Is there anything I can do for the broken dorsal fin or is it ok?  You can't do anything for it.  It only presents an aesthetic problem.  

For the main tank I changed 50% of it. I did test the tap water inside my house. I have a water softener and a person changes the tube or tank each month. The pH is at 8.4 Ammonia is .25 ppm Nitrite is 0 ppm and Nitrate is 5.0 ppm The reason why I put it wasn't good because the pH level was high. Should I test the outside water? 

Goldfish have no problem with a pH of 8.4.  Do test (and report) the pH of the outside water as well.  With a tap pH that high, you shouldn't have a pH of 7.3-7.3 in the tank.  The lower pH in the tank usually indicates an accumulation of nitrate.  I didn't see a nitrate measurement for the main tank.  We need to know ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH for the tap and tank water and also when you last changed water and how much you changed in order to determine how your water quality might be changing, and what, if anything you need to do about it.

Ok I wasn't sure if I should completely change the entire water. I've only done 25%-50%.  Except in a hospital tank, you don't have to change more than 50% of the water at one time.  You do need a regular water change schedule.  I change 10% a day, which maintains the water quality as well as 50% a week.  We recommend a minimum water change schedule of 50% a week if everything is going well.  If a fish gets sick, one should first increase the frequency and/or volume of water change.   

Should I raise the temp for the QT? I currently have it at 75 degrees F and I was told by an employee at petco to raise it to 80. I didn't do that because I know goldfish are usually cooler water or room temp.  We recommend ignoring anything a pet shop employee tells you. :) (You showed good sense in recognizing that the employee apparently considered goldfish tropical.)  Even at high quality fish stores, most employees know little about goldfish.  Unless your house gets warmer than 85F or colder than 55F, your goldfish will thrive at room temperature (including  lower temperatures at night and warmer during the day).  Take the heater out, but keep it, since we sometimes we use elevated temperature during medication.

I swabbed the ulcer with hydrogen peroxide and dropped iodine in it. My fish didn't move for a while and stayed at the bottom, but after an hour went by it acted how it usually does. The ulcer isn't as irritated around the skin and not as red either. Is there anything else I can do to help it or do I keep up with the swabs? I read online about a potassium permanganate helped someone's goldfish that had an ulcer. I haven't done it because I wasn't sure how accurate this was.  Keep up with the swabs and keep the water very clean. If the fish continues to improve, You can reduce the frequency of the swabs.  Potassium permanganate treatments can certainly kill bacteria in an ulcer.  It can also kill fish.  Unless you never make a mistake in calculating concentration or measuring ingredients, use pp to disinfect contaminated equipment and keep it away from your fish.

How are you doing?

How are you doing?

I'm doing ok. Hope (my fish) he's still being lively. His ulcer is healing slowly, but it doesn't look as terrible. Thank you for asking:)

Oh thats good news. Keep us posted and if you need help just ask :) 

Glad he is doing better.

Thank you all for your help. Hope has passed away 2 days ago. I've been checking the water ever since I put him the the qt. He was healing from his ulcer, eating and acting lively. After coming back home I noticed he wasn't moving. I check the water and everything was ok. I don't know what happened. I am sad, but I'm also happy for him because he doesn't have to deal with the ulcer anymore.

I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Hope.

24 minutes ago, kitsulove said:

Thank you all for your help. Hope has passed away 2 days ago. I've been checking the water ever since I put him the the qt. He was healing from his ulcer, eating and acting lively. After coming back home I noticed he wasn't moving. I check the water and everything was ok. I don't know what happened. I am sad, but I'm also happy for him because he doesn't have to deal with the ulcer anymore.

Im sorry hun :hug 

I'm sorry for your loss :(