Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
titch

Piggy was feeling left out

22 minutes ago, titch said:

Yes!! That is my plan at some point, but I would need a way to heat the water up to tank temperature beforehand. I've already got the water container (200 litre) & pump but have been researching about a suitable heater. The container would reside in the garage. 

Doesnt help in the short term though. 

What temp do you keep your tanks at again ? 

25% three times a week will keep the water clean in a cycled tank.  To determine how safe this change is for the fish, just do the following:

Measure and report the pH of tank water and fresh tap water.

Mix together 3 parts tank water and 1 part tap water.

Read the pH of the mixture and report.

If you can also report on the results of aerating your tap water we can tell you the easiest way to do safe water changes.  

Ok. Will do tomorrow during WC. 

Have bought baking soda & raised the ph for dad's 100% WC. Took 20g to raise 40 litres from 7.4 to 8.0. Will do the the same for WC in main tank & Winstons WC tomorrow. Not ideal but ok in the short term.

Main tank is currently at approx 26 degrees

17 hours ago, shakaho said:

25% three times a week will keep the water clean in a cycled tank.  To determine how safe this change is for the fish, just do the following:

Measure and report the pH of tank water and fresh tap water.

Mix together 3 parts tank water and 1 part tap water.

Read the pH of the mixture and report.

If you can also report on the results of aerating your tap water we can tell you the easiest way to do safe water changes.  

Ok, results are in...

Main tank @ 8.2

Filtered tap water @ 7.4

3:1 (tank:tap) = 8.0

Still unable to aerate tap water as I don't have a spare air stone I'm afraid.

OK.  You can do 25% water changes three days a week using untreated tap water.

Woop!! :happydance

Thank you!

Koko - Since removing the bogwood & attached plants, it's a bit bare/boring. No doubt for Piggy too. Can I add some plants (the same ones if I remove them from the bogwood) back in? Was thinking of attaching them to the back wall with suction cups & aquarium glue (think I saw someone's DIY for this on the forum). Would that be ok or do you still want me to leave it completely bare for now?

Edited by titch

2 hours ago, titch said:

Woop!! :happydance

Thank you!

Koko - Since removing the bogwood & attached plants, it's a bit bare/boring. No doubt for Piggy too. Can I add some plants (the same ones if I remove them from the bogwood) back in? Was thinking of attaching them to the back wall with suction cups & aquarium glue (think I saw someone's DIY for this on the forum). Would that be ok or do you still want me to leave it completely bare for now?

Nah you can put the plants back in hun.... :)  just not log yet till we can get this all figured out hun :) 

3 minutes ago, koko said:

Nah you can put the plants back in hun.... :)  just not log yet till we can get this all figured out hun :) 

Great news. I'll get some suction cups ordered & start sticking :D

On 2/25/2017 at 5:58 PM, koko said:

Now one way an old member did it cause her Ph changed like that too, is to Get a large garbage can fill it with water put and air stone in it. Let it rise over night. Then to do a water change you can't get a pond pump or a power head and use that to pump the water into the tank. :) This way the Ph can go up and you will have plenty of water to use :)

Out of interest...

If I filled my water container with 200ish litres, kept it heated and aerated, could I just siphon off what I need during each water change (60litres every Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday)?

i.e. would the water be ok to stand for up to a week or would it go 'off' so to speak?

If you aerate the stored water, it will only get better with storage.  I certainly wouldn't heat it, particularly if you are using a garbage can, which isn't designed for storing liquids and will have a greater chance of leaching chemicals into the water with heating.

I store water in plastic drums like these.  A rain barrel also works well.  

Hi Sharon - thanks for that.

I would need to heat it however, as it will be stored in the garage and will be vastly colder than my tank, which means I can't just pump it straight in for WC, which defeats the whole idea.

I already have the storage container and pump, but just trying to make my mind up ref: heater(s) and air stone(s).

Edited by titch

I still wouldn't heat it.  I'd bring it in in buckets the night before the water change and let it warm up overnight.  

10 hours ago, shakaho said:

I still wouldn't heat it.  I'd bring it in in buckets the night before the water change and let it warm up overnight.  

Unfortunately, that still wouldn't be warm enough for the tank. At the moment I fill buckets the day before my WC and let them stand inside next to the tank. This only brings the temp up to about 18/19deg max. The tank runs at approx. 25/26. I have to boil a few litres and add back to the bucket before adding to the tank.

Just so I understand, can I ask the reason you're against heating the water in storage?

How much water do you change at one time? (% of tank volume)

I wouldn't heat the water because of oxygen depletion, but if you aerate the water butt and the tank, that shouldn't be a problem. 

At the minute, 90 litres on a Wednesday and 150 on a Sunday.

However, I'm starting a new regime as of today - 60 litres every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday (25% per WC)

On 2/26/2017 at 0:48 PM, shakaho said:

OK.  You can do 25% water changes three days a week using untreated tap water.

Based on this, if I fill the water container up (approx. 200 litres), heat and aerate, it'll last me for a full week of water changes.

I'm just trying to find a way to simplify my WC - I have to filter the water because of high nitrates out the tap and the Pozzani filter I use only runs at 1-2 litres a minute. Might not sound much, but it would make life a lot easier if I could do all the filtering on a Saturday to store for the week, rather than having to filter on a Monday for Tuesday's WC, filter on a Wednesday for Thursday's WC etc etc.

I want to be sure I'm getting everything right and really appreciate your input & advice.

If you're happy I can store, heat & aerate without a problem, I'll move forward with regards to finding suitable heater(s) and airstone(s).

Any recommendations in terms of the wattage I'll need etc? I guess 2 heaters are better than 1 big one? The same for airstones?

Haven't used a heater in decades, so I can't help you there.  The more you aerate the better, of course, but if you aerate continuously, you don't need much.

If the tank is 25oC and you replace 25% of the water with fresh at 18oC, the water in the tank will drop to 1/4(18) + 3/4(25) =  23.25oC.  That shouldn't bother your fish.  If that seems like too much of a change,  you could add half of the new water, wait an hour for the temperature to equilibrate, then add the other half. 

4 minutes ago, shakaho said:

Haven't used a heater in decades, so I can't help you there.  The more you aerate the better, of course, but if you aerate continuously, you don't need much.

If the tank is 25oC and you replace 25% of the water with fresh at 18oC, the water in the tank will drop to 1/4(18) + 3/4(25) =  23.25oC.  That shouldn't bother your fish.  If that seems like too much of a change,  you could add half of the new water, wait an hour for the temperature to equilibrate, then add the other half. 

I took my heaters out my self. I find goldfish do better like that :) 

9 minutes ago, shakaho said:

Might be worth experimenting then, although I'll be storing the water container outside in the unheated garage and it gets pretty chilly here in the UK!!

I doubt very much the water will reach anywhere near 18 degrees in the garage!

4 minutes ago, koko said:

I took my heaters out my self. I find goldfish do better like that :) 

I don't run the tank with a heater, never have. The tank just levels out at that temperature +/-1 deg (combination of atmospheric temp in the house and the tank lights I guess).