Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Mike73

Am I giving too much stress to my GolsFish?

21 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

First time writing, old reader (So much info in here to read).

I have 2 and a half year keeping GoldFish, been to a lot of losses with those (mistakes) that inexperienced GoldFish keeper does, I know we all go through there.

The question in my head right now it's: Am i causing too much stress to my Oranda? I do 90% Water Change on Sundays and that day I decide to fast (no food at all). The fish seems Ok with the water change and everything, I don't see her acting different at all and Monday morning she eats normal (devouring the food).

Its a 75 gallons, she's alone, I'm taking the time to collect the fishes that I want...

Want to see what you guys think if it's okay or should I change the fast day???

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

(First time here, so ask all the details you want to know )

Welcome to Kokos!!  We like all new members to read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  

We don't recommend a fast day for healthy fish.  I have found no evidence that this procedure benefits the fish.  

Goldfish in nature eat continually, nibbling small amounts of low nutrition food at a time.  Domestic goldfish instinctively eat when ever they find food.  Since fish food has very highly concentrated nutrition, overfeeding becomes a serious problem.  

If you feel strongly about fasting the fish, you might do a "greens fast" one day a week.  Feed leafy green vegetables to satisfy the instinct to eat nonstop.  

The more water you change, the better, but your current water change schedule would work fine for when you have 3 (ideally) or 4 (maximum) goldfish in the tank.  Water changes only stress the fish if the tap water and tank water differ greatly,  particularly in pH.  With just one fish,  you could save some water and change half as much per week as you do now.

Welcome to Kokos!!  We like all new members to read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  
We don't recommend a fast day for healthy fish.  I have found no evidence that this procedure benefits the fish.  
Goldfish in nature eat continually, nibbling small amounts of low nutrition food at a time.  Domestic goldfish instinctively eat when ever they find food.  Since fish food has very highly concentrated nutrition, overfeeding becomes a serious problem.  
If you feel strongly about fasting the fish, you might do a "greens fast" one day a week.  Feed leafy green vegetables to satisfy the instinct to eat nonstop.  
The more water you change, the better, but your current water change schedule would work fine for when you have 3 (ideally) or 4 (maximum) goldfish in the tank.  Water changes only stress the fish if the tap water and tank water differ greatly,  particularly in pH.  With just one fish,  you could save some water and change half as much per week as you do now.

Thanks.

I did read all the guidelines prior asking my concern. (Been reading for months).

Now thinking about the "Greens Fast" since I want to provide the more natural environment as posible.

And about the water change, Yes I thought about that few weeks ago but still did 90% (don't judge me ) we all love fresh water...

Thanks for everything.
Greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:hi and welcome to the forum.  We'd love to see some pics of your fish. :photo:  :D

1 hour ago, fantailfan1 said:

:hi and welcome to the forum.  We'd love to see some pics of your fish. :photo:  :D

I think it's a :rules:

Hello!!! Here is a Pic of the fish!! 058609a4ca07a6749a8a9995bfd8666f.jpg
Let me know if you guys can see it. I'm learning how to use this!!!

:yikes

beautiful :thumbs: 

Stunning Fish!

:o  that is one very big, very black fish.  Impressive!! :#1

Welcome to Kokos and beautiful Goldfish.

beautiful!

Thank you all... now I have two Red Ranchus in quarantine waiting to be with this black gem!! Her name is Bimba...

I would like to see some pictures of your black fish IN the water so I can gaze at it's full beauty!!!  And go ahead and add a few of the Red Ranchus!!!

I would like to see some pictures of your black fish IN the water so I can gaze at it's full beauty!!!  And go ahead and add a few of the Red Ranchus!!!

Sorry for the delay!

Ok, so I'm really bad at taking pics of fish, I don't know how to fix the reflections in front of the tank. Thanks God iPhone 7 you can sumergen in the water so I took few pics...

1a1b97a4e60b966a20a5313aaf769516.jpg

a247832e37ddfcc5b6b41c36335c4f31.jpge0afc84836420d19f86d3615a5655705.jpgc4439801e40ceadb1b0d348717fff303.jpg

Here are the Red Ranchus...

361279a76b1f4f153a49036cb691d983.jpg

80a8bda37df4c17c22bbf0d0a7afe8cb.jpg

9d7d44c53e8ed1276b84545bd65cf8b6.jpg

7c62a6127f6b44393a8a76c815129f66.jpg

8865930cd67c9730cc7f9ef4a229d9a2.jpg

WOW WOW WOW!

Very Very nice looking fish :thumbs: 

Your Goldfish are nice.

I agree with everyone, lovely fish you have there!  Welcome to the board and no, I don't believe you're causing too much stress but I concur a fasting day isn't necessary.  

I have to say WOW too!!!  Thanks for the pics!!!!

Amazing fish!