Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Fin Issues

Felicity and Filbert have passed.

I have 3 left, the non-teles. Clamping. Fluffernut is the least active and SwimFish's tail is starting to look pretty ragged, where it wasn't before.

They are in clear water now and I'm going to let the temp drop a little. No salt or meds until I hear back. I don't want to do the salt anymore, maybe just a low % if necessary, but I can do other meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IM so sorry Kathleen. You did your BEST. :hugRIP Felicity and Filbert.

Thank you Dawn This is really hard.

My BEST to the non-teles. :hug

Just thinking, I wonder if the situation has changed now to the point where it would be better to separate them off into tubs. I can't do it tonight, but I could do it tomorrow. Although I can't afford any more heaters right now...

Updated pictures

SwimFish
9d6d1e63cd37a44915dbe1d815a57e03.jpg

Fluffernut, low energy and alternates this pose with clamping
5e8b741c0bcd517907541af3cea5e6c0.jpg

Marmalade
41e88fd9df67c0074d59264b7ff22047.jpg

Tank
4a2df775ae420b1f327e5e52cf6da23a.jpg

Im so sorry Kathleen! You're such a great keeper and it really sucks when bad things happen to the good ones.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Oh no I'm so sorry :(

Thanks all. My one comfort is that I really have been good about my water changes and filter maintenance. Just so sad.

I've been at church all day. I'm sorry they passed.  They've had how many days of salt and kanaplex now?

Edited by Arctic Mama

Thank you, 2/17 for the kanaplex and lowest amount of salt, max salt was 2/24, but I didn't write down the dates in between for each addition to get there.

Okay, continue the kanaplex for the full fourteen days and begin metro for a fourteen day course. The salt likely didn't do them in but it doesn't look like it helped much in those concentrations so I would suggest keeping it out for now.  We will keep up the her end antibiotics and see where we are at.

If those don't help we can try Paraguard, and if that doesn't work it's fair to assume it was a virus by process of elimination.  

Ok, sounds good, thanks.

What about temp? Would it be ok to use unheated tubs? I could go down to medicating 30 gallons that way. But if I need to keep them warmer that's fine.

You need to keep all your filters and such going in their tank, and I wouldn't swap unless you fully disinfected the 30 first.  Temp stays the same, or you can drop it but not below 75-ish - they might be more comfortable a little cooler (more oxygen) but we still want it warm.

How are the non-teles doing Kathleen?

How are the non-teles doing Kathleen?

Somewhat improved behavior, but SwimFish is still not a happy camper. His tail seems worse, but I didn't have enough metro on hand to dose the tank, so hopefully that will come today. I ordered more paraguard too so there won't be any delay if we need it.

Can you show me an updated tail picture when you have a chance?

Can you show me an updated tail picture when you have a chance?

aade113f254bcfde977066ad84315c34.jpg
e7fe263699a19cd67cc39a6c5a27a957.jpg
d77db931d2ab01785b74c72440303384.jpg

These don't really show it, but I think F & M are slightly bloated, possibly starting to pine cone.
43943d2002afae628304a0621f18ec1a.jpg
d717cdcb9db5ef42eaa2e2784df6ca9e.jpg

Both of the bottom two fish look good to me.  A side profile of the orange one might help but I don't see dropsy or bloating, just some slightly rough scales.  If they've been in a salt treatment that would explain that, the slime coat can make them look smoother.

Those fins on Swim aren't great, it does look like the consequences of an infection.  The metro might be the ticket, and that's not what I'd expect to see from parasites.  Do you want to acquire the oxy to try next once kana is done and metro is progressing? Its conceivable it could hit something the kana couldn't take out.

I have Ken's oxy food, so you mean that, or is it a powder?

I found the powder on angelsplus, but it mentioned not being skin absorbed above 7.6 ph, and mine is 8.2

It mentioned mixing it in the food, but since I already have a food with it in, I don't think I will go to the expense for the powder. Let me know if I should start using the food though!

Kana is done now, Metro continues. The Metro pkg says up to 3 weeks, do you have a recommendation for how long to continue?

SwimFish's tail is a lot less red and angry looking today. :)

11f1b9680f63f11927a4c7d0ca7b9211.jpg

If you have the Ken's food do feed it!  Absolutely.  Do the metro two weeks and check with me, we don't want to use it longer if we don't need to.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I realized yesterday I'm past the 2 week point on the meth blue & silver treatment for my filters.

What should I be doing in that tank right now, continue those doses, switch and run clear, something else? Will it need ammonia or something added for the cycle with no fish?

Tomorrow is day 14 of metro. Fins seem to have have stopped degrading, but I can't tell if they have necessarily gotten better yet and I know that can take time.

Eyes are still popping a little.

Have been feeding Ken's oxy food since 3/5.

What is my next step for fish and equipment?

This shows the eyes, and Marmalade's are about the same. Fluffernut has not really shown physical issues.
3a04fcb4f4830329416bee523d92d716.jpg

Tail
b6136e6ec72bcf5e6ef8e06e027f1a6f.jpg