Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SweetMamaKaty

Fin Issues

• Test Results for the Following: (all numbers are before WC)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) <5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.0
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallons, several months, bare bottom, 2 moss balls
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AquaClear 70
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?  I'm really faithful with a weekly 80%, and they are due for their water change today.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? last Sunday, 80% 
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fish,: Felicity 18g, Filbert 16g, PomPom smaller than that.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Occasional VitaChem
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS Thera A once a day, occasional Omega One Super Veggie Green Seaweed
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? PomPom went in Jan 15 after doing a few rounds of Prazi and a round of Levamisol (got him early Dec)
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi & Salt added a day or so ago, not helping yet at least
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.  In when I got my ECR fish in July, I treated all the others (so everyone except the ECR fish at that time, and now PomPom) with a series of meds, trying to avoid exposing them to anything harmful from my existing fish:  Prazi, Levamisol, Dimilin, Nitro Green, and Acriflavine.  The length of these were about a week-10 days each, run one after the other.  I considered doing all these on PomPom before moving him in with the others, but since I had kind of gone out on a limb doing all that the first time, and Fiona and Filbert are kind of "off" now, I thought maybe I shouldn't do it with the new fish.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?  Fins are fraying and splitting with possible white spots, Felicity only, pics to follow.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?  Hanging at the surface while at rest.  She is still able to swim and does for food, etc, but resting is at the surface.

I think you accidentally forgot to put in the Nitrate level for the tank.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Ok, that's weird! :o  Why isn't it posting my #?

maybe the symbol... I'm using the "less than" symbol - it's less than 5.

eta:  I wonder if it's a tapatalk thing.  I posted on the desktop site, and on the desktop site, I can see it.  But I can't see it in tapatalk.  Then my oops post was in tapatalk, and I can't see that one in either place.

Edited by SweetMamaKaty

It may be. I'm viewing through Tapatalk.
Well hopefully one of the Mods will be able to see what is causing the problem.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

I'm confused!  Which fish is sick - pompom or felicity?  When did the spots show up?

Felicity is the sick one, and she's been like this a few days. I just noticed the spots while taking the pictures today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Kathleen. Hope felicity feels better.

Hmm... and you quarantined pompom and used heat I assume.  Any new plants?

The fin degradation can be stress, parasites, bacterial infections internally weakening the immune system, water and the quality, or about a dozen other things. The other fish acting off is a bit weird too.

First step I'd recommend is salt dips along with salted water in a warm quarantine, like the typical ich treatment.  The salt dips should help remove slime coat and if it is parasitic and not ich, the symptoms should at least develop faster and the parasites become more vulnerable to treatment without a slime coat to hide under.  We want the water as warm as she can tolerate without stress - 80 if she can handle it without rapid respiration or hanging out around the surface.  .5% salt instead of .3%, gradually bumped up.  Along with that quarantine, please try two salt dips the first day, several hours apart, and check in with us with some well lit, close up pictures.  I'm especially interested to hear if there is a reduction of white dots following the dips or if she is acting differently.

Oh! I did not remember about heat. The tanks are cold, about 65F and PomPom's qt was about the same.

No new plants.

Fiona has fin issues too, and Filbert seems to have fluid rings around his eyes. For the two of them I had tried epsom, then the new metro food and Furan 2. None of that made any difference for them, so I dropped it. Sorry I forgot to list this, it was before Felicity was in this tank.

What percentage on the dips, and for how long? Do you think I should do the same with PomPom?

Okay that was probably the issue.  In the cooler temperature the life cycle of a parasite is longer and the maturation of symptoms is much slower, so this could be run of the mill ich.  You will have to bump the heat up veeeeery slowly.

Unfortunately on this new site I cannot load the desktop version of the site and that is where I access my treatment links, they don't show up on the mobile version and I only use my phone for surfing.  The standard salt dip instructions are what I would follow and you should be able to find them by searching or asking Lisa, Sharon, or Koko.  Between the salt dips as per instructions and the salt and heat quarantine we should have a good idea whether this is ich within a few days.  If it is we will need to clean and treat the entire main tank with salt and heat to deal with the ich tomites.

Here is the salt dip procedure :)

It looks like am going to have to wait to start for a couple days, that will be the soonest I can get an adjustable heater.  When my good one broke, I just had a backup and it's not adjustable, sitting at 67.9F from overnight. :/  Salt is at .1%, I can start working it up until I have the new heater as long as that's ok to do.

Yes that is fine :)

Just updating, my heater came yesterday instead of today, so I have been bumping up the heat, at 75.6F now.  I had mis-read about the salt and thought I needed to be at 3-5%, but thankfully I haven't had the time to get that far!  It's just at .3% this morning and I'll continue adding to get to .5%

Am I ok to start the dips today, or should I wait until after I hit .5% (probably tomorrow in that case)?

Turn for the worse, she's going into a c shape. :( Right now I have her in plain primed water , still at 80F. She had been in .4% salt since last night.

Attaching pics of her tail now, mostly for the sake of her tank mates Filbert and PomPom, in case you think I need to do anything with them. They are both looking and acting fine aside from Filbert's eyes and head standing that he was already doing.

90986ec934f7f7f0eb0a7fb3cbcdf242.jpg
b95db030721e038edd2ee4534362e166.jpg

Lets keep him in clean water for the day let me know how he is in the morning ? :) 

Ok, thanks Koko, will do!

Sorry to hear that. Hope she feels better soon.

Thanks Dawn, I think it's probably too late for her, but we'll see.  If I can just take care of whatever is causing it now.  Fiona in my other tank, who has varying levels of health, is also kind of rough right now.   Poor things.

Hmm, with the c shape coming on and that fin degradation and what looks like a rigid belly, I'd guess there is an infection involved too.  The dips might be too stressful, just keep the salt up.

Are the white spots looking better, worse, or the same?

Do you have Kanaplex on hand?  Or Oxy?  I'd like to start a course of either of those along with that salt.  I do think Ich is going on with the background information cleared up, but I don't think that's all that has happened.  A weakened immune system can lead to secondary infections from the sustained stress of the primary pathogen, so these things often take down weaker fish or cause multiple issues at once because they just can't fight them off.

Thank you. The white spots do look a little better, and I have one or both of the meds but I'm not sure she will make it through the night.

Would one be better than the other, and at what dose (or follow pkg)? I can dose later tonight.

3 hours ago, SweetMamaKaty said:

Thanks Dawn, I think it's probably too late for her, but we'll see.  If I can just take care of whatever is causing it now.  Fiona in my other tank, who has varying levels of health, is also kind of rough right now.   Poor things.

My BEST to everyone. :hug