Jump to content
Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Linda

New fish parent, almost

Recommended Posts

Yay!!! I did it! Lol! Anyway...this is the tank! Gonna paint it all black, plus the back and bottom black also! Jasper rock arranged in the middle with a mermaid statue on the rock then some few live plants around that! I've put a lot of thought into that lol! Searched EVERYWHERE for the right items! I've changed my mind a dozen times but I think that's the final decision! Btw, I just uploaded straight to the post....didn't have to copy and paste and all that! What do you ladies think about the tank and ideas? I'm open for suggestions! I tend to be drawn toward the simple, Zen type tanks! I need to do some research on my live plants as they are not looking so well. Running a bare bottom tank doesn't allow me to use the nutrient based substrate. I think I need to get some and "pot" them in the glass containers. Any suggestions on this ladies? Its really nice talking about my hobby with other enthusiasts! My husband is tired of listening to me! Haha! But this truley is my life!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, awesome tank at an awesome price. I bought my tank from a local swap and sell too, but it was just the tank, nothing else. I can't wait to see what you create with yours. I love mirrors in tanks, it gives you the illusion of so much more. You could put your plants in fancy clear little glass containers with soil and marbles on top so the fish don't get into the soil and put the containers on top of small mirrors so it looks like double the plants. I may do that some day with my tank. My ammonia is in transit, I'll be starting my cycle in a few weeks. That is nerve racking for me; making sure I get things right for my fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love that entire room!
Best of luck getting things going, and of course welcome to Kokos! :hi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats a biggen :teehee 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great price for the 125 set up!

I had plants in glass pots for a while. They worked out well. Definitely cover any gravel/substrate with marbles or larger rocks or you will find it all over the bottom of your no longer so bare bottom tank.

53ba3ca9e01c03ccb31c4ca8bc218705.jpg

408736e4874a7eba7376c362ba76d5ca.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Butterfly That is beautiful! Makes me wish I had done something like that.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to start cleaning it tonight! Its got some coralline algae on the glass and some equipment that just have to figure out how to get rid of! The sump is a 30 gallon 3 chamber...I wasn't positive of the size before! Linda I just noticed the little fish on your cabinet! Did you make those? I'd live to see the rest of your house! I'm sure its beautiful! If I didn't say it before....Love love love the mermaid! I kinda have a thing for them! I even have a big tattoo on my back lol! I'm a bit upset today though....I just bought a new Fluval LED light bar for my 55. I noticed that the color of the fish was a bit washed out but didn't think anything really. I don't see that well so thought it was just me. I put a 29 in my kitchen for my baby commons till they go to their pond and I used the regular fluorescent light that came with it. The fish were the most brilliant orange! Almost glowing! My 125 came with a T5 Glow fixture and out if curiosity I put it on the 55 and their colors came right out so pretty! So apparently the LED's aren't that good of lights! I always thought they were some of the best! Also, the bars on the sides are bowing down where they are not on the support. Only been there since Feb 3! I'm tempted to email Fluval and ask for a refund! What are your opinions on lights?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, A-fish-ionado said:

I'm going to start cleaning it tonight! Its got some coralline algae on the glass and some equipment that just have to figure out how to get rid of! The sump is a 30 gallon 3 chamber...I wasn't positive of the size before! Linda I just noticed the little fish on your cabinet! Did you make those? I'd live to see the rest of your house! I'm sure its beautiful! If I didn't say it before....Love love love the mermaid! I kinda have a thing for them! I even have a big tattoo on my back lol! I'm a bit upset today though....I just bought a new Fluval LED light bar for my 55. I noticed that the color of the fish was a bit washed out but didn't think anything really. I don't see that well so thought it was just me. I put a 29 in my kitchen for my baby commons till they go to their pond and I used the regular fluorescent light that came with it. The fish were the most brilliant orange! Almost glowing! My 125 came with a T5 Glow fixture and out if curiosity I put it on the 55 and their colors came right out so pretty! So apparently the LED's aren't that good of lights! I always thought they were some of the best! Also, the bars on the sides are bowing down where they are not on the support. Only been there since Feb 3! I'm tempted to email Fluval and ask for a refund! What are your opinions on lights?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
 

Hi there, yes I carved out and painted all my draw pulls and other swimming fish; all 27 of them. Oh boy. Like I said, I didn't have a kitchen for two months. Haha

http://IMG_3098.jpg

As for the lights. I am most certainly not the one to ask. I made my own using an old gutter, foil tape, pvc pipe and a 16 foot LED light strip I bought on amazon. I can put it on white and many other colors and it looks beautiful when on but I don't have fish or even water in the tank right now. The whole thing only cost me $22.

http://IMG_3169.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I like the light idea. Was going to figure something out with mine :teehee 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I'm so upset! I've cried since yesterday! We are not going to get our taxes! The IRS took it to pay on a $24,000 debt they say we owe on unreported income in 2014 for some kind of insurance payment! We didn't get ANY insurance payment! We are screwed. I owe my parents 400 on the tank, 125 still to the tank people, 200 tuition on Nacomas school, my gas is getting shut off....I could go on and on! This also means.....there goes my beautiful baby fish....ill have to sell my tank. I'm devestated. That aquarium and those little fish are the only thing that has brought me out of a very deep depression. A dangerous depression. I just don't know what to do....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, A-fish-ionado said:

Oh, I'm so upset! I've cried since yesterday! We are not going to get our taxes! The IRS took it to pay on a $24,000 debt they say we owe on unreported income in 2014 for some kind of insurance payment! We didn't get ANY insurance payment! We are screwed. I owe my parents 400 on the tank, 125 still to the tank people, 200 tuition on Nacomas school, my gas is getting shut off....I could go on and on! This also means.....there goes my beautiful baby fish....ill have to sell my tank. I'm devestated. That aquarium and those little fish are the only thing that has brought me out of a very deep depression. A dangerous depression. I just don't know what to do....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
 

IM so sorry to hear what has happened. My BEST to you. :hug

Edited by DawnMichele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, A-fish-ionado said:

Oh, I'm so upset! I've cried since yesterday! We are not going to get our taxes! The IRS took it to pay on a $24,000 debt they say we owe on unreported income in 2014 for some kind of insurance payment! We didn't get ANY insurance payment! We are screwed. I owe my parents 400 on the tank, 125 still to the tank people, 200 tuition on Nacomas school, my gas is getting shut off....I could go on and on! This also means.....there goes my beautiful baby fish....ill have to sell my tank. I'm devestated. That aquarium and those little fish are the only thing that has brought me out of a very deep depression. A dangerous depression. I just don't know what to do....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
 

Please slow down, don't panic, find out what they are screwing up and get it fixed. If you are in the right and you deal with the IRS in a calm way they will fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried forever to call today and finally got a recording that they are closed. I feel so helpless... They will have to fix it! Another way it was worded was the 24 grand was taxes due! Can you imagine how much income we would have hidden to make us owe that much tax! Even if I get it back it will take weeks I'm sure and I need the money now. I know this isn't a thread for my chaos....I just needed to vent. Its me and a 4 year old...gets lonely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know for sure that the notification came from the IRS? There are a lot of scams about taxes.  Today was a holiday, tomorrow is not , so you can call tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. I went to the IRS website to check the status of my return.....unfortunately its real...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no! I hope you cam get it sorted, and quickly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An update for you guys!! It was definitely real and definitely a mistake! A man in Ripley WV received a $64,000 life insurance payout and the insurance company, Prudential, screwed up the social!! There was a typo of one number which made it MY social security number which made it look like I received the check and didn't report it!! They are fixing the mistake and the IRS is redoing my refund which can take up to 18 weeks! So, long story short, I will get some money but not for a long time ..... At least they discovered the mistake! My friend is going to pay the $125 I still owe on the tank so that I can keep it. Thank goodness! It may be forever though till I get enough money to finish my tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad that you was able to get that straightened out.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad everything worked out for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOW that was a big mess.. Im so glad you got it worked out :thumbs: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well................it's been 4 weeks now and still no nitrites. I'm getting impatient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Linda said:

Well................it's been 4 weeks now and still no nitrites. I'm getting impatient.

What is the ammonia readings? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, koko said:

What is the ammonia readings? 

Hello, the ammonia is reading between 2.0-4.0. The temp is averaging 64, so I think that is keeping things slowed down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Linda said:

Hello, the ammonia is reading between 2.0-4.0. The temp is averaging 64, so I think that is keeping things slowed down.

Okay when the ammonia hits in the 4 its to high and will make it stall out too... Try and keep it in the 2-3 max 2 is better. Also I would heat the tank up so it will process faster :) I would have them temp to 75F :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
  • Create New...