Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kim S Walker

Diamond revisited

I will post water test results shortly, but here's the situation...Way back in April, I had one fish (Kukurri) who pineconed on one side. I treated him with Metro and triple sulfa and epsom and he made a complete recovery! He is active and happy still today. Thank you for your help saving him!

I had also asked about a mysterious wound on my big fish, Diamond. We decided to try salt baths and a koi liquid bandage and keep an eye on it. I have done all these things and the wound didn't go away but seemed to settle down. It wasn't producing the white pimples anymore but still appeared as a reddish shadow under the skin. Diamond has been happy and active, so I've just been watching, but it has been still nagging at me. Last night, I fed the fish a little bit of food before going to bed and they all ate happily and enthusiastically.

This morning, I found Diamond laying on the bottom with her body bent. She chaotically swims through the water every now and then before settling back to the bottom. She tries to beg for food but can't completely right herself. I know this isn't a good sign but since she still has plenty of fight in her, I figured I'd at least try medicating her. I have her in QT with Metro. I'm wondering if I should add salt or epsom and since I have to go buy a second antibiotic, what would be my best choice?

Has anyone had a fish recover from the bent shape? What causes it? Amazing how it happens over only a few hours time. :( I'm really crushed as I tend to get stupidly attached to my fish. It has made me consider giving them up before. :help: Thanks for any help you can offer.

Photos and a video will help a lot too hun. I have seen one fish come back from that. So there is some hope :) 

Pictures may help and I'd ask you to fill out the form with tank details, but honestly I don't think it is worth the time.  Once they're bent and laying on their side in the bottom they don't really recover.  I've not seen it happen. It's the end in some frame of time for fish who do it because it essentially means their bodies are not staying buoyant (it takes too much energy to even keep treading water) and the curling appears to be neurological.  I've always wondered if it isn't a pain response or some sort, but I've not seen evidence either way.

Wirh what you're describing I wouldn't treat this fish but euthanize it so it isn't suffering needlessly for however many days or weeks it can hang on, since recovery is pretty much out of the question based on what we have seen around here.  

If you want to continue treatment use something like kanaplex to try and address the possibility of a gram negative bacteria being the cause of the infection.  That's actually much more common than gram positive, which is what metro handles, but metro acts as an antiparasite med as well so it is a good 'we don't know what caused this' first try medication.

Administer kanaplex in your quarantine for a two week course, adding the full dose back in daily with 100% water changes.  Both metro and kana can go for two weeks.  No salt, keep the heat steady on the warmer side (76-78 degrees).  Good luck to you.

Thanks Koko and Arctic Mama, 

Diamond isn't laying on the bottom now that she's in the QT. She alternating between laying in the bubbles from the airstone, and kind of wobbling around the tank partly on her side. If I can get the kanaplex today, I think I will treat her for a few days or until she gets worse. I'll pick up some clove oil too just in case. The clove oil my Mom picked up for me has glycerine in it and I'm assuming I can't use that.

Well, I treated Diamond for three days to see if there would be any change and she didn't make any improvement. If anything, the red wound area got darker and slightly bigger, and it became obvious that she'll never swim right again. So tonight I euthanized her with clove oil. RIP dear Diamond. You were a beautiful and spirited fish. You will be missed. :cry

Thank you to everyone who helped.

I'm so sorry! :hug

RIP Diamond.  You did your best, Kim.

Im sorry hun :hug