Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dreamgoddess

Bad advice?

My daughter set up a 55 gallon tank two weeks ago and then last Saturday night, she put 12 tiny goldfish in the tank.  I’m not sure what kind of test kit she had bought, but yesterday the ammonia tested in the “Danger” area.  I told her she needed to do at least a 50% water change, which she did.  After the water change, the ammonia tested in the “Harmful” range.  Now this morning, all of the fish are dead except 2 of them.  She is absolutely sure it’s because I told her to change at least 50% of the water.

Also, she told me this morning that she did not dechlorinate the water when she did the water change last night.  When I told her she should have done this, she said the original water she put in the tank a couple of weeks was not dechlorinated either.  I’m not sure how the fish managed to live as long as they did in chlorinated water.

I’m thinking the fish most likely died as a result of chlorine in the water and high ammonia, NOT the 50% water change that I suggested.  Am I right or did I give her really bad advice? 

You're absolutely right.  No question . . . 

Or at least no question unless her water is toxic. :o    But the combo of high ammonia and no dechlorinator is deadly for sure.

Why didn't she use dechlorinator?  

The fish died from chlorine and ammonia poisoning.  If she hadn't done a the 50% change, they would have died from ammonia poisoning. 

Chlorine is deadly poison to fish and the smaller the fish the faster they die.  Chlorine damages the gills so the fish can't breathe.  This damage increases the longer the fish live in chlorinated water.  Chlorine dissipates from the water with time,  so she did put the fish in dechlorinated water initially. 

Ammonia is a deadly poison to fish.  An established tank will have bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrate, which has mild toxicity at high levels.  Until a population of these bacteria has grown in the filter, one has to do frequent substantial water changes to keep ammonia at the only safe concentration, zero.

Please have her read our guidelines for healthy goldfish.  Then get Seachem Prime water conditioner, which both eliminates chlorine and chloramine, and protects the fish against low concentrations of ammonia (up to 1 ppm).

If the two fish haven't died yet, scoop them out in a container of water, empty the tank, add tap water and Prime and return the fish to the tank.  Don't get more fish now!

If she doesn't have a filter, get one.  Then she needs to change 10 gallons of water daily, treating the new water with Prime.  In this large tank with only two small fish, this should keep ammonia too low to measure.  

Ideally, a 55 gallon tank should have 2 goldfish with an absolute maximum of 3 goldfish.  Healthy goldfish grow into big fish.

What they said!  Your advice was sound.

Not bad advice, you are absolutely right. I once forgot water conditioner in my tank when I did a water change and within 10 minutes the fish were showing signs of distress. Tap water is highly highly bad for fishies...

I agree with everyone else, not bad advise!!

But obviously taking out crappy water and putting in crappy water (chlorine induced) isn't going to help anything. haha